• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue or Red Pill?

*READ THREAD/ARTICLE FIRST* Choose wisely.

• Total voters

Kenaz

I Am
redbluepill.jpg

Matrix Philosophy - Blue or Red Pill?
*NOTE: There is more to the article below in the link above.

The Matrix is a film filled with religious and philosophical symbolism. The plot supposes that humans live in vats many years in the future, being fed false sensory information by a giant virtual reality computer (the Matrix). The perpetrators of this horror are machines of the future who use humans as a source of power. Humans are literally farmed.

The central character of the film, Neo, is presented to us in the opening part of the film as a loner who is searching for a mysterious character called Morpheus (named after the Greek god of dreams and sleep). He is also trying to discover the answer to the question "What is the Matrix?"

Morpheus contacts Neo just as the machines (posing as sinister 'agents') are trying to keep Neo from finding out any more. When Morpheus and Neo meet, Morpheus offers Neo two pills. The red pill will answer the question "what is the Matrix?" (by removing him from it) and the blue pill simply for life to carry on as before. As Neo reaches for the red pill Morpheus warns Neo "Remember, all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more."

The film as a whole and especially the choosing scene is deeply compelling. Why is the choice between what you believe you know and an unknown 'real' truth so fascinating? How could a choice possibly be made? On the one hand everyone you love and everything that you have built you life upon. One the other the promise only of truth.

The question then is not about pills, but what they stand for in these circumstances. The question is asking us whether reality, truth, is worth pursuing. The blue pill will leave us as we are, in a life consisting of habit, of things we believe we know. We are comfortable, we do not need truth to live.

The blue pill symbolises commuting to work every day, or brushing your teeth.

The red pill is an unknown quantity. We are told that it can help us to find the truth. We don't know what that truth is, or even that the pill will help us to find it. The red pill symbolises risk, doubt and questioning. In order to answer the question, you can gamble your whole life and world on a reality you have never experienced.

However, in order to investigate which course of action to take we need to investigate why the choice is faced. Why should we even have to decide whether to pursue truth?

The answer in short, is inquisitiveness. Many people throughout human existence have questioned and enquired. Most of them have not been scientists or doctors or philosophers, but simply ordinary people asking 'what if?' or 'why?' Asking these questions ultimately leads us to a choice. Do you continue to ask and investigate, or do you stop and never ask again? This in essence, is the question posed to Neo in the film.
Please read, consider (take your time), vote, and discuss if you'd like. :yes: :popcorn:

Onkara

Is it just me or is The Matrix and the analogy kindly shared by JWG quite compelling?

Do we all intuitively feel there is something beyond the mundane routine?

I remember feeling rather unsettled the first time I saw this in the cinema, as if I had been slapped. People may still slap me but it isn't the same feeling. lol.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I voted Blue.

First of all, blue tastes better than red, and it's prettier.

Secondly, why in the hell would I want to live in a horrible reality where everything sucks and is ugly and dangerous when I can keep living in a wonderful happy dream? I don't understand why you'd want to be aware of something if it's unpleasant like that. What difference does it make if you're aware of it? It still sucks. I'd much rather keep dreaming and enjoy my fake life than know everything and be miserable.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Upon reading the OP, I would like to add that I don't like the idea of leading a boring predictable life. I want adventure and stuff, but what I don't want is knowledge of something that is going to make me feel sad. What I don't know won't hurt me, right?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There is a similar thread going on....Truth or usefulness.

I voted for truth.

To quote Captain Kirk...."I need my pain!"

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
What if it's a relative who needs to go to the hospital?

X_X That's different.

I'm talking about something like "The world is actually ugly and flowers don't exist." :( I don't need to know that. I love flowers. If they aren't really there, I don't even want to know.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Everytime I see a blue pill/red pill poll, I find it interesting that although most people say they would choose the red pill (truth), that most people, in real life, rarely choose the red pill.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Everytime I see a blue pill/red pill poll, I find it interesting that although most people say they would choose the red pill (truth), that most people, in real life, rarely choose the red pill.
What do you mean by that comment exactly?

To be human and live our lives the way we currently do means that by default our lives are the "red pill."

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Typical blue pill perspective. ;)
Ok, now I'm really confused. I picked red pill and then asked for an explanation of your post but now I have given a typical blue pill response? Maybe I need more coffee. But, in the off chance that I don't....let's keep the conversation going. Do you have any further comments because we aint on the same page. ;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Ok, now I'm really confused. I picked red pill and then asked for an explanation of your post but now I have given a typical blue pill response? Maybe I need more coffee. But, in the off chance that I don't....let's keep the conversation going. Do you have any further comments because we aint on the same page. ;)

I don't know. I was born in Zion. All you people with your metal things sticking out of your skin all seem the same to me.

Beyondo

A book called "Wings of Illusion" by John Schumaker states that the belief in the paranormal and/or religion is an insanity, but this insanity is far better than the mental illnesses of modern society that rejects such beliefs. Metal illnesses such as depression, anorexia, bulimia, ADDS, etc are not found in aboriginal societies where paranormal beliefs control all aspects of their lives. However certain religions can turn toxic and plague a society with metal illness. From this perspective faith has a survival benefit in that this form of insanity doesn't produce stresses that can bring about physical illnesses, so the ape lives healthier and longer which can lead to producing more healthier offspring.

That quote was from a different thread regarding the evolutionary advantage of religious belief. But the question remains:

Regardless, a good question... what's better... religious insanity or reality-induced mental illness?

Red pill or blue pill?

Just_me_Mike

Would we explode is we grabbed both from Morpheus and ate them both. I am like that, I will just do it, and see what happens.