• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blogger?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm thinking of setting up a blog.

Anyone got any recommendations, tips, advice or whatever?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:
For a blog, I'd certainly recommend using Blogger

It's super easy to use and there is plenty of scope for you to be able to customise its layout

I've no experience of Wordpress, I only know Blogger...

...which I am perfectly happy with

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Thanks!

Just that you should focus on the type of information. Politics, religion, science, family, health, etc... So people know what to expect from your blog.

May limit your scope but you'll keep an interested audience coming back. If you want to discuss more than one subject, create a separate blog.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thanks!

Blogger and wordpress (and i guess others) are a good way to start. They have free startup options that i know several people who are happy to keep free after several years successful blogging. The only drawbacks are, the templates are limited (but in no way restrictive), customisation is very limited, some add-ons are not available, and the domain name is yourchoice.blogname.com, blogname is the name of the provider

Edit : blog software is usually pretty well designed for search engine optimisation. But it will help to learn a little SEO technique for optimising the text and tags you enter

Also there is no end of "XX mistakes to avoid when blogging" blogs. You may be able to take something away from some of these

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
SEO? .... ah Search Engine Optimization.

Presumably I need to use the words xxxx, xxxxxx and xxxx butter as often as possible? :p

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
and the domain name is yourchoice.blogname.com, blogname is the name of the provider
Although with Blogger (I have no idea about Wordpress) it is cheap and easy to buy your own domain name and attach it to your blog. Within the Blogger interface there is an option to buy a domain name for your blog, using Google Domains. It's all very simple.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Although with Blogger (I have no idea about Wordpress) it is cheap and easy to buy your own domain name and attach it to your blog. Within the Blogger interface there is an option to buy a domain name for your blog, usii ng Google Domains. It's all very simple.

Yes, you can buy a domain name with WordPress, i was discussing the completely free options.

ChristineM

Premium Member
SEO? .... ah Search Engine Optimization.

Presumably I need to use the words xxxx, xxxxxx and xxxx butter as often as possible? :p

Only if you are doing a blog about xxxx... And have xxxx as a tag word, a header word, a word in the title and 3 or 4 xxxx's in the body text i see your blog getting on the front page of Google for the search xxxx (assume xxxx is a fairly obscure word)

If you have xxxx in your domain name as well then the sky is the limit

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Only if you are doing a blog about xxxx... And have xxxx as a tag word, a header word, a word in the title and 3 or 4 xxxx's in the body text i see your blog getting on the front page of Google for the search xxxx (assume xxxx is a fairly obscure word)

If you have xxxx in your domain name as well then the sky is the limit
xxxx me, it's complicated :tongueout:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You have no idea. But it's really easy to get started, learn as you go.

Hows about you sign up with blogger and wordpress for free, try them both and make a choice which you think is best.
That sounds like a good idea. It's probably just lockdown madness that's driving me to this. I've already been checking out the sorts of blogs you suggested. Many thanks to everyone for all the top tips. You know, I think these computers may catch on after all.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That sounds like a good idea. It's probably just lockdown madness that's driving me to this. I've already been checking out the sorts of blogs you suggested. Many thanks to everyone for all the top tips. You know, I think these computers may catch on after all.

Do you mean to tell me that you are not enjoying being stuck in the house with nothing to do???

Just think of all those odd jobs over the years that you just have never had the time to start and now, with all the free time in the world you are trying to find another excuse not to paint the ceiling

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Do you mean to tell me that you are not enjoying being stuck in the house with nothing to do???

Just think of all those odd jobs over the years that you just have never had the time to start and now, with all the free time in the world you are trying to find another excuse not to paint the ceiling

Funny you should say that. I have actually painted a ceiling. And the shed. And the pantry shelves. And the garden benches. I wasn't aware any of these things needed painting. Turns out I was wrong.
Anyhoo this blog malarkey...Can it be free or is it freeish? I'm reading web hosting costs is an ongoing fee?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Funny you should say that. I have actually painted a ceiling. And the shed. And the pantry shelves. And the garden benches. I wasn't aware any of these things needed painting. Turns out I was wrong.
Anyhoo this blog malarkey...Can it be free or is it freeish? I'm reading web hosting costs is an ongoing fee?

I know wordpress and blogger are completely free unless you want extras, hosting is included, i dont know how much space is given but i do know its plenty and should keep you going for a year or two. Certainly to start you won't need any extras, there is plenty in the free package including free templates and an online editor.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So...
"fair comment (whether the statement was a view that a reasonable person could have held)" - defence against defamation (slander, libel).
Any opinions on how this relates to said blogger saying something like "Smiths Milk Chocolate is the worst chocolate I've ever tasted. It's more like dog poo than chocolate."
There's plenty of product reviews that are like this (and worse) so it seems rather contradictory...

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Tags are keywords or phrases that denote the subject or subjects of the piece of text. In blogspot blogs, before posting a post you can define those keywords. Here:
View attachment 40472
this is from my blog (which I'm not doing too well in terms of updating at the mo'). On the right side you can see the labels section, and a partial list of some of the past labels I've used. On-site, labels at the end of posts can be clicked and then the viewer receives a list of all posts with that same label. Some blogs are built in a way that includes a side-bar that has the entire list of labels/tags and one can freely choose what to check out.
@Harel13
Can you enlighten please? -
Settings, crawlers and indexing, home page tags, custom robot tags for homepage (eg "nosnippet). Should I permit these?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@Harel13
Can you enlighten please? -
Settings, crawlers and indexing, home page tags, custom robot tags for homepage (eg "nosnippet). Should I permit these?
Is any of that English? :D
Sorry, I'm not much of an expert. I'm not sure what those mean...