• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"bliss bunnies"

no-body

I recently came across this term in a new age forum and was intrigued and surprised that I've never come across it before. Not by the slang definition--apparently that's a young female who goes to a hippie gathering to get wasted and have sex--but more the connotations with those who meditate and try to enter mystical states.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this thread and I probably won't get many replies but I'll put it out there anyway, what does everyone think?

Is this a negative term, do people who want to enter into a unity with God and the life force just doe eyed dreamers trying to avoid life no matter how much they say they want to face the objective reality? Are they just co-dependent suck-ups?

Or does society need "shamans" to keep life from getting too cynical; people who can contribute simply by the force of their imaginations and energy?

no-body

Somehow I knew this thread was just going to be about easy hippie girls. Dammit :sarcastic

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is this a negative term, do people who want to enter into a unity with God and the life force just doe eyed dreamers trying to avoid life no matter how much they say they want to face the objective reality? Are they just co-dependent suck-ups?

"A unity with God and the life force" is not even the most likely objective of at least half the world's mystics. But that's just a quibble. I think I get your meaning anyway.

Every group in society comes under criticism from someone, mystics included. Mystics, if they want to pay attention to that stuff, must decide which of the criticisms they hear are useful and which are idle.

Or does society need "shamans" to keep life from getting too cynical; people who can contribute simply by the force of their imaginations and energy?

Is that what shamans do?

no-body

"A unity with God and the life force" is not even the most likely objective of at least half the world's mystics. But that's just a quibble. I think I get your meaning anyway.

Every group in society comes under criticism from someone, mystics included. Mystics, if they want to pay attention to that stuff, must decide which of the criticisms they hear are useful and which are idle.

Is that what shamans do?

I was using shamans and mystic as a catch-all term for dreamers. If you have a different interpretation I'd love to hear it. Jeesh why does it always come down to pedantic semantics?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was using shamans and mystic as a catch-all term for dreamers. If you have a different interpretation I'd love to hear it. Jeesh why does it always come down to pedantic semantics?

You're right, I'm coming across as a dick for semantics. Sorry about that.

I sometimes wonder whether shamans are not just as much a part of our evolutionary heritage as hunting and gathering apparently are.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What does being a modern shaman entail?

I think of shamans as spiritual leaders who claim personal experience of what they talk about. As opposed to priests, who are spiritual leaders that do not necessarily claim personal experience of what they talk about.

I recently came across this term in a new age forum and was intrigued and surprised that I've never come across it before. Not by the slang definition--apparently that's a young female who goes to a hippie gathering to get wasted and have sex--but more the connotations with those who meditate and try to enter mystical states.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this thread and I probably won't get many replies but I'll put it out there anyway, what does everyone think?

It certainly sounds like a negative term, reminiscent of "fluff bunnies" in Wiccan circles.

According to my reading, union with the divine is not the picnic these critics seem to think it is. It is the most demanding journey imaginable, though, of course, it is worth the trouble. I believe that surrender of one's life to the divine will result in the divine using the one so surrendered to help others, often in ways that one would not choose oneself. One has only to look at the Catholic mystics to see this. I would not call St. Francis reclusive and uninvolved. St. Therese of Lisieux, a cloistered Carmelite, died at 24 after suffering from tuberculosis for, I think, at least a year; but despite being hidden away from the world at large she wrote a spiritual classic that has blessed millions and is one of the most popular Catholic saints and one of only 3 women in 2000 years made a "doctor of the church." Sts. John of the Cross & Teresa of Avila had to fight their own church against suggestions of heresy -- during the Inquisition. These things were on top of the personal struggles that attend surrender to the divine. St. Joan (of Arc) was burned at the stake for heresy. The more I think about the derogation that must attend the appellation "bliss bunnies," the more worthless of attention it seems.

With regard to shamans: aren't there shamans who have wrestled with arcane powers in order to help someone suffering from illness, or who have sacrificed themselves in order to receive something from the divine for their tribe?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I want to know where they all are!

Certainly not in Colorado Springs! There are no shallow hippie chicks her. All we got is shallow fundamentalist chicks who get wasted and have lots of (unprotected) sex.

no-body

I sometimes wonder whether shamans are not just as much a part of our evolutionary heritage as hunting and gathering apparently are.

I think this is what I was trying to get at, cut-throat business people are described as the "hunters" of our society so I'm thinking that hippies are an extension of the "shamans" of the past.

I know it is much more complicated than that but I can't help thinking about it .

william b

William B
I just joined the group, but I have a thought on this.
I think sometimes people can be very enamored with "bliss" talk or certain mystical terms. They've discovered an argument or idea about bliss, oneness, and so forth, that gives them the upper hand in any conversation. The moment you try to go into different territory such as, "that's nice, but what about paying the rent or dealing with a bully?" They go back into explaining the situation with more "oneness" and "it's an illusion" talk.
But I don't believe a term like "bliss bunnies" is a good way to fix the situation. It's just a new name invented to call someone and obviously it is derogatory. It would be better to try to discuss your point of view with them in a calm way or just leave them be.