• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blaspheming The Holy Spirit!

Matthew 12:32 - And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.

Is this true? If a person were to talk sh-t about the holy ghost, God will never forgive them ever?

Let's blaspheme the holy spirit together!

Shermana

Heretic
But do you understand that verse?

Sometimes I think the verse applies as well to people who claim to have the Spirit but don't, just as how it was used to say Jesus didn't have the Spirit when in fact he did. Claiming the Spirit as a defense to one's position may in fact be the most blasphemous, most intellectually dishonest method of promoting the Truth possible.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have never held great store by this verse as I have never heard a convincing interpretation of its meaning.
If the trinity is to believed then there is no distinguishable difference between the nature of God, his son and the holy Spirit.
I find it hard to believe that a special punishment is reserved for blaspheming against the Holy Spirit that dose not equally apply to Jesus and God.

In its simplest form and meaning Matthew seems to have got this wrong.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree (somewhat). A person can't blaspheme something/someone that don't even believe in. Or praise, for that matter, either.

thau

Is this true? If a person were to talk sh-t about the holy ghost, God will never forgive them ever?

It is next to impossible to remonstrate with someone like you who does not care what happens to himself when he dies. It's like trying to convince a crying infant to open his mouth because strained peas are good for him.

So sorry.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

You were a blasphemer even before you could say anything. Against man, God, and Spirit. And at times, all of us have done the same.

Had Elijah blasphemed against 42 young men? Had he blasphemed the Father, against his brothers? Had he blasphemed his spirit, withholding forgiveness and understanding? Has he blasphemed against you, by cursing the 42 young men?

If you have an issue with the circumstances? Why worsen them?

If the trinity is real and all three are the same triune being, then why can you be forgiven if you blaspheme Jesus but not the holy spirit? Aren't they the same person?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
If the trinity is real and all three are the same triune being, then why can you be forgiven if you blaspheme Jesus but not the holy spirit? Aren't they the same person?

You live, and are forgiven like all of mankind. You're only able to blaspheme according to ignorance and/or insufficiency.

If you know you will burn your hand on a hot stove, when you touch it, but you do it, what happens? You get burned. You blasphemed the Spirit of truth even before you touched it. You will be burned, assuming you are able and willing to do so.

Stupid will always be stupid. However, humans may lie, and then revert to the truth again. We evolved from simpler complexity into greater organisms and organizations. We start in many instances from ignorance, which is vindicated, and then progress into knowledge.

Blaspheming your fellow man is natural and forgivable. Blaspheming God is natural, and always forgiven. But blaspheming the Spirit of truth, which is the highest power, results in ignorance without fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not even sure what the Holy Spirit even is. I was taught it was one of the three parts of the Trinity, but what it truly is, I don't know. I've heard people blaspheme God on numerous occasions, but never have I heard anyone blaspheme the holy spirit.

And I wasn't being facetious about what I said earlier, than someone can't blaspheme something that they don't even believe in. The best a non-believer can do is curse the concept/idea of God, and nothing more.

AmbiguousGuy

I try to be civil even to those who mistreat me, so it would be hard for me to speak ill of the Holy Spirit.

But since you've asked and since He's not here and probably isn't real enough to be offendable, I'll try.

The Holy Spirit is the spirit of delusion. Any force which comes into our heads and makes us absolutely certain of a truth... that is a spirit of delusion.

Blasphemous enough for you?

If not, let me know. I'll try harder.

Shermana

Heretic

A great example of why the Trinity is a fabrication. I wonder if they thought about that one. In fact, the Trinity itself may be blasphemy if it is wrong (which it is) because it is thus speaking falsely about it....

Trinitarians may in fact be totally condemned, especially if they claim the Spirit tells them that it's true when challenged on it.

thau

A great example of why the Trinity is a fabrication. I wonder if they thought about that one. In fact, the Trinity itself may be blasphemy if it is wrong (which it is) because it is thus speaking falsely about it....

Trinitarians may in fact be totally condemned, especially if they claim the Spirit tells them that it's true when challenged on it.

You are talking about Trinitarians being possibly condemned and you are using asinine thoughts from some vile character named satan to support your theory?

This is where this board goes totally off the tracks --- if you want a "great example."