• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin accounts for 0.7% of electricity worldwide

JIMMY12345

I was just reading an article.It stated 0.7% of all electricity worldwide was due to bitcoin.

Crypto currency eg Ethereum changed the system from computing power to currency control cutting use by 99%.
Bitcoin also uses lots of water.

I do not have the money or inclination for either one Bit or Crypto. However for those that do.Now you know.

(Source New Scientist 13 Jan 2024 Page 12)

Viker

Häxan
Due to or used by? The article is like this:

Should nations try to ban bitcoin because of its environmental impact?

The amount of electricity used to mine and trade bitcoin climbed to 121 terawatt-hours in 2023, 27 per cent more than the previous year. While other cryptocurrencies in the same position have made bold changes to cut their impact, bitcoin’s decentralised community of developers, miners and investors are showing little interest in changing course. If bitcoin cannot clean up its own house, should governments step in to shut it down?

The latest data from the University of Cambridge shows that bitcoin currently accounts for 0.69 per cent of all electricity consumption worldwide. It also requires vast amounts of water, both for electricity production and for cooling at data centres. A study last year found that a single bitcoin transaction uses enough water to fill a swimming pool.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm not at all sure what exactly Bitcoin is

But it seems rather dodgy to me

libre

Skylark
A study last year found that a single bitcoin transaction uses enough water to fill a swimming pool.
Important to note that here 'using' means using the electricity generated from naturally running water - not the water itself.