• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birth and death of Jesus

Muffled

Jesus in me
Faith only.
I suspect your concept of faith is foundless belief but that is not what faith is. Faith is acting on a rationale that appears plausible. I get out of bed in the morning because I have faith that I will have a good day. I have a plausible rationale for believing that my day will be good.

However the concept that the birth stories are fiction does not have a plausible rationale and dogsgod is simply pointing that out by trying to elicit what he knows can't be found.

RomCat

In the book "The Life Of Christ",
Fr. Giuseppe Riciotti examines
and explains all the seemingly
chronological difficulties found
in Scripture concerning Christ's
life.
To try to answer your question
about the year 4BC is way beyond
the scope of this dialogue.
Generally speaking, not everyone
in the Holy Land was using the same
calendar which accounts for most of
the problems with chronology in
Scripture.

logician

"Faith is acting on a rationale that appears plausible."

So walking on water, making water into wine, and rising from the dead are plausible?

Not in my world.

mikmik

I am trying to work out when Jesus was born and when he died.

If we are to believe in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus was born before the death of Herod the Great. Also, according to Luke (Luke 2:1-2), the census was supposedly taking in Judaea in the reign of Augustus (Caesar), and when Quirinius was governor of Syria.

From what I can work out Herod died in 4 BC. According to Matthew's again, Joseph fled to Egypt and stayed there, during the massacre of children, until Herod's death. So Jesus would have been born either on that same year of Herod's death or 1 to 2 years before Herod's death (6 BC to 4 BC).

Jesus' ministry lasted for 2 to 3 years. When did Jesus died?

I think that was anything from AD 30 to AD 35.

But can anyone be more precise than these dates?

As for the death of Jesus, strictly going by the facts given in the Bible...

Jesus had the Passover (14th of Nisan) with the twelve, which starts at sunset. Later He is arrested, many things happen that night and morning, then you see Him crucified and He died late in on that Passover day, not too long before sunset. They hurried to place Him in the tomb because it was a preparation day for an annual Sabbath, meaning it started at sunset that evening, the First Day of Unleavened Bread. They rested until sunset the next night because it is a High Holy Day, but of course it was dark so they waited for the next day to go get the spices and prepare them, then they began their weekly Sabbath rest at sunset. At the end of the Sabbath, again, it was dark, so they waited until it was just about dawn on the first day of the week to take the spices to the tomb and found that Jesus was already gone. The Passover and FDUB do not land on the same day each year, so if the Passover had been let's say on a Friday, the sequence of events listed wouldn't match. So you have to go back to the calendar which shows that AD 31 is the year that this timeline happened..

Tuesday night, Passover meal then arrested
Wednesday, crucified and placed in the tomb
Wednesday sunset, FD Unleavened Bread begins
Thursday sunset, FDUL ends
Friday, spices gathered and prepared
Friday sunset, Weekly Sabbath begins
Saturday shortly before sunset, Jesus rises (yes, that's right, on the Sabbath, for just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale, so the Son will be in the earth for 3 days and 3 nights,, if it was not 72 hours (as in Friday afternoon to Sunday morning), then He IS NOT the prophesied Messiah according to the Holy Scriptures,, yeah, I know, another topic!)
Saturday sunset, Weekly Sabbath ends
Sunday at dawn, ladies arrive to find Jesus is already gone

Thanks for reading!
mik