• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Maher gets it mostly right, again.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I just wish that the rest of the world would stop taking sides, and recognize that both Israeli Jews and Palestinians need to find a way forward that includes both sides. If America (including Canada) and the EU side completely with Israel, the danger is that the Muslim world, goaded on by Iran take the other side, and this cannot possibly be good. Right now, Egypt, Soudan, UAE, Morocco, Jrodan and Bahrain have diplomatic relations with Israel, and Saudi Arabia appeared, for a while, to be aiming that way. This could change easily. And we mustn't forget that Israel (and Muslim Pakistan) have nuclear weapons.

What is needed is a two-state solution, where both Israelis and Palestinians have homelands. Unfortunately, it is true that when Yasser Arafat was offered 95% of the West Bank, he said "no," because he wanted all of it -- including Israel.

Going forward, it is not going to do anybody any good to yammer on about the injustices of the past -- and they have been plentiful, on both sides! Nobody can change the past, so that's basically a futile effort. Nor will it do any good to make "reparations" an integral part of either side's demands. However, I will say this -- Israel is a wealthy enough country, and technology rich, to help Palestinians to rebuild once a two-state solution is negotiated. And wouldn't hurt to have that as part of the negotiations.

libre

Skylark
The framing of the Palestinians as a perpetually unreasonable and aggressive neighbour and Israel as nothing less than a generous negotiator in my view shows a blatant disregard for nuance.

Claiming that nobody is a bigger colonizer than the Arabians from 630-720 is also an obviously false historical revision that deflects from the western world.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The framing of the Palestinians as a perpetually unreasonable and aggressive neighbour and Israel as nothing less than a generous negotiator in my view shows a blatant disregard for nuance.
The point is another. You know... up to 350,000 people were chased away from today Croatia and displaced. They had been living for centuries in Istria and in Dalmatia. They didn't want Italians any more. Italians were forced to move to Italy.
Not to mention those who were killed by the Croatians, thrown into the foibe, deep caves into the ground.

Do we hate Croatia and Slovenia, now? No. We love Croatia and Slovenia, they are our neighbors.

This conflict is not about land. It's about religion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I so wish I could disagree with Maher and the OP.

I can't.

It is terrible and even counterintuitive, but far as I can perceive things, there is indeed a terrible assymetry and an equally terrible lack of nuance. Not an absolute lack, but an horrible one.