• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Faiths: Which is more dangerous?

nutshell

NetDoc said:
No, not everyone ascribes to this: especially me!
I have changed quite a few of my beliefs because I saw that they contradicted scripture. Why fight the truth?
On this we FULLY disagree. The Bible created NOTHING. It describes the First Century churches of Christ in raw detail. We can choose to follow this proscription or invent our own. Of course, like it does all of it's heroes, the Scriptures report the bad with the good. The Spirit can guide us into which is which, IF we are open to it!
So you think your interpretation of the Bible is the only correct one? How can a paticular verse of the Bible mean so many different things to so many different people? What makes your interpretation more valid than others? Please enlighten me, NetDoc.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
nutshell said:
So you think your interpretation of the Bible is the only correct one?
Why would you ask this? Where have I stated it?

nutshell said:
How can a paticular verse of the Bible mean so many different things to so many different people?
You have already cited a few: preconceived notions, pride, arrogance, various agendas... this list could go on. Just don't blame the scriptures for people twisting them.

nutshell said:
What makes your interpretation more valid than others?
My understanding (I don't see it as an "interpretation") is mine and mine alone. I suggest that everyone who wants to validate or debunk my understanding go and read the Bible and develop their OWN understanding. If you gain any insight from what I say, or how I say it, then cool. I have changed a lot in the last year due to my gaining insight and understanding from what others have said or suggested.

Too many people try to prove themselves "right" and do not understand that becoming right includes much prayer and a willingness to change.

nutshell

NetDoc said:
Why would you ask this? Where have I stated it?.
You're implying that your understanding is more correct than others when the reality is each of our understanding has no more validity than anyone else's because it comes down to personal interpretation.

NetDoc said:
You have already cited a few: preconceived notions, pride, arrogance, various agendas... this list could go on. Just don't blame the scriptures for people twisting them. ?.
I never blamed the scriptures for people twisting them. But how do you know your understanding isn't just another twist of the scriptures?

NetDoc said:
My understanding (I don't see it as an "interpretation") is mine and mine alone. I suggest that everyone who wants to validate or debunk my understanding go and read the Bible and develop their OWN understanding. If you gain any insight from what I say, or how I say it, then cool. I have changed a lot in the last year due to my gaining insight and understanding from what others have said or suggested.

Too many people try to prove themselves "right" and do not understand that becoming right includes much prayer and a willingness to change.
Are you implying that I don't pray or that I am unwilling to change? You don't even know me. I agree understanding comes through prayer and humility.

Beck63Don

I think it's dangerous to take things too literally. Sure, there are some things that are ment to be taken literally, but most things are not ment to be taken that way. We have limited understanding so the Goddess has to speak to us in metaphores and symbols. Those are not ment to be taken literally. If you take things to literally, you destroy the spiritual value of the message.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
opening commentary to the Stone Chumash:

"We begin the study of the Torah with the realization that the Torah is not a history book, but the charter of Man's mission in the universe."

frankly if it were to be a history book it's some pretty sloppy historical work.

Scuba Pete

nutshell said:
You're implying that your understanding is more correct than others when the reality is each of our understanding has no more validity than anyone else's because it comes down to personal interpretation.
WHERE have I implied such? To whit, I have stated the exact opposite! BTW, you should deliniate between interpretation and understanding.

nutshell said:
I never blamed the scriptures for people twisting them.
You have done it constantly. Please reread your posts for clarification.

nutshell said:
But how do you know your understanding isn't just another twist of the scriptures?
Some of it probably is, which is why I keep studying and praying to open my heart to God.

nutshell said:
Are you implying that I don't pray or that I am unwilling to change? You don't even know me. I agree understanding comes through prayer and humility.
I implied nothing! However, if you feel that the spiritual sandal fits, by all means wear it. Do you want to change? Or is this merely a way to take umbrage where none was meant?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
nutshell said:
Outstanding...:clap

~Victor

Ernesto

Katzpur said:
I've heard a lot of people claim that it's dangerous to accept the Bible in a literal sense. While I agree that there are definitely some parts of the Bible that God intended us to recognize as allegorical or figurative, I believe that these are relatively few. If we want to understand what God has told us, we need to stop insisting that He meant something other than what He actually said. I believe that when we interpret the Bible figuratively, the chances of mis-interpreting it are enormous. I believe God wants us to understand Him, and we can't do that if we're constantly second-guessing what He meant when He said something.
Basically, you've just summed up for us what it means to be a fundamentalist.

nutshell

Ernesto said:
:areyoucra You think what Katzpur wrote represents Christian Fundamentalism???

Could you please elaborate? I'm interested to know what atheists think of as Christian fundamentalism.

Solon

Whose Truth ? we have seen some Books passed off as truth which are nothing like truth, except to those who choose to wear blinkers and rose tinted spectacles.

S

Bangbang

Ok....I will bite. The faith that I feel is the most dangerous is the one that is...... my experience is only limited to Christianity and Paganism. So in my experience I think the Catholics give a pretty good run for first place.

fromthe heart

Any of the ones that don't follow the lines of Scripture that could cause them eternal harm. I can't say there are many out there that follow just the Bible so there is a lot of danger going on.;)

Bangbang

fromthe heart said:
I can't say there are many out there that follow just the Bible so there is a lot of danger going on.;)
You got that right! Ditto for the Koran! Bang runs from insurgents with guns.

Solon

nutshell said:
:areyoucra You think what Katzpur wrote represents Christian Fundamentalism???

Could you please elaborate? I'm interested to know what atheists think of as Christian fundamentalism.
I think it represents Mormon fundementalism. As a non-Christian, I think of the LDS as dangerous.

S

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ernesto said:
Really? So how would you define "fundamentalist"? (in your own words, please)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Solon said:
I think it represents Mormon fundementalism. As a non-Christian, I think of the LDS as dangerous.
Well, you obviously find us more threatening than most people on this forum do. I've never seen anybody quite so obsessed as you are with saving the world from the Mormons. It's quite flattering really. Besides, it's a pretty good source of free advertising. :D

Scuba Pete

Katzpur said:
Well, you oIbviously find us more threatening than most people on this forum do. I've never seen anybody quite so obsessed as you are with saving the world from the Mormons. It's quite flattering really. Besides, it's a pretty good source of free advertising. :D
Bwhahahahaha Katzpur! :biglaugh:

It's called "reverse evangelism" and it's never successful. It only brings attention to the religion and upon scrutiny, the noble users who represent that particular religion almost always make it look good! It's people like YOU Kat, who give the LDS church a good name! :D

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
NetDoc said:
But I DO see a ton of "doctrines" that have arisen out of the extrapolation/inference mode.
I see the same thing... inference and extrapolation make it easy for folks who want to take scripture out of context and make it say pretty much anything they want it to say :sarcastic

So often the individual verses people use to say what they want it to say have an entirely different and sometimes quite opposite meaning when actually taken in the context in which they are written :eek:

Ernesto

Katzpur said:
Really? So how would you define "fundamentalist"? (in your own words, please)
A fundamentalist Christian is someone who takes the Bible literally, word for word, without any personal internal effort put into the interpretation of the words. Such people spread a lack of irony, I feel, and are not taking full advantage of the human potential to question.