• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
gus-psyche-popcorn.gif

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
All religions and religious texts have contradictions in them. Hindus can point out contradictions in the Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, and even in the Bhagavad Gita (Srila Prabhupada's translations and commentaries v. Eknath Easwaran v. Swami Tapasyananda, etc.). Buddhists can point out contradictions in the Sutras. These contradictions are a matter of translations, interpretations, and compilations of writings at different times in history aimed at different audiences. So what's the point of this, yet another "ooh the bible is wrong" post?

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
So what's the point of this, yet another "ooh the bible is wrong" post?

No, it's a testament to bibliolatry. According to certain people, if the Bible is indeed the word of god then it must be perfect because god is perfect. Therefore, any apparent contradiction must be a result of misinterpretation and/or taking the passage in question "out of context".

It shows an inability to separate doctrine from deity. It was once quite well understood that the Bible could be wrong and god still exist. The sacred texts, being the works of men, were not expected to be flawless anyway.

However, now (with the "certain people" mentioned above) the mindset seems to be that if the Bible is wrong then it can only mean that god lied and, furthermore (with the most hardcore of them), disproving the Bible automatically means disproving god. Not just their god but all gods everywhere.

It's a very sad, sad state of mind.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It shows an inability to separate doctrine from deity. It was once quite well understood that the Bible could be wrong and god still exist. The sacred texts, being the works of men, were not expected to be flawless anyway. ... It's a very sad, sad state of mind.
Very nicely put.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Although I kind of like the SAB site, it is really not the best source or scholarly criticism of religious texts. I have no doubt that Vadergirl will be able legitimately refute some of the claims of contradictions. Others will require a great deal of mental gymnastics to rationalize. And the majority of them will just be ignored or forgotten. She will no doubt be able to convince herself that there are no contradictions in the Bible, but she will not be able to convince anyone else.

Vultar

As apposed to worrying about the contradictions, I always wonder why nobody cares about the wild claims like people living to be 200, 400, 900 years old. That right there tells you the stories are simply that... stories,

Merlin was over 1000 years old... (oh wait...just a story) :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As apposed to worrying about the contradictions, I always wonder why nobody cares about the wild claims ...

To claim that "nobody cares" is to expose oneself as more than a little ignorant but, that aside, the fact remains that internal contradictions present a significantly different and more intractable kind of problem to the literalist/inerrantist.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it's a testament to bibliolatry. According to certain people, if the Bible is indeed the word of god then it must be perfect because god is perfect. Therefore, any apparent contradiction must be a result of misinterpretation and/or taking the passage in question "out of context".

It shows an inability to separate doctrine from deity. It was once quite well understood that the Bible could be wrong and god still exist. The sacred texts, being the works of men, were not expected to be flawless anyway.

However, now (with the "certain people" mentioned above) the mindset seems to be that if the Bible is wrong then it can only mean that god lied and, furthermore (with the most hardcore of them), disproving the Bible automatically means disproving god. Not just their god but all gods everywhere.

It's a very sad, sad state of mind.

Yes, that's all true, especially your last paragraph and sentence. It is sad, indeed to need to prove God exists by using 3,000-5,000 year old texts written in virtually alien languages, going through translation after translation.

If one needs to prove the validity of a scripture to prove the existence of God, then that person's faith is not very strong. I have never seen God in any of His forms, but I don't doubt that He exists. Whether the Vedas, Bible, Sutras, Qur'an or Avesta are right or wrong doesn't prove or disprove the existence of God; that's a matter of faith.

But I guess people don't get that. :shrug:

outhouse

Atheistically
As apposed to worrying about the contradictions, I always wonder why nobody cares about the wild claims like people living to be 200, 400, 900 years old. That right there tells you the stories are simply that... stories,

Merlin was over 1000 years old... (oh wait...just a story) :D

you dont think the age of men in the bible is pure mythology????

maybe you should define contradictions and mythology so you dont mix the two up.

Vadergirl123

No. 11 is the two contradictory creation accounts..
This "contradiction" is based on a translational error NOT a biblical one. In the original hebrew writings The verb for formed is in the pluperfect tense NOT the perfect. The passage in Genesis 2:19 should be read as 'The Lord God HAD formed out of the ground not the Lord God formed...and had formed would mean he'd already formed the animals before creating Adam. In Mark 10:6 Jesus is talking about divorce and states how God created man and woman.
462 more to go hahaha :D

Vadergirl123

No. 9 is how many sons did Absalom have.
The writer claims that Absalom only had one son in verse 18, but the passage says" Absalom IN HIS LIFETIME had reared up a pillar..." On the pillar is written, "I have no son to keep my name in remebrance." In another chapter Absalom is said to have three sons. Absalom could've "reared" the pillar before his sons were born.(Of course he might not have) but it does make more sense that he did. He had no reason to lie about having children.
461 more to go haha

Vadergirl123

No. 8 how old was Abram when Ishmael was born. The bible says he was 86. He lived in Mesopotamia BEFORE he dwelt in Haran, God tells him to leave the land of his kindred. He leaves the land of the chaldeans and comes to Haran. I don't see how this is a contradiction...Ishmael was born before his father died...
460 more...