• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Again: what relationship is there between the fidelity of transmission and the accuracy of what is being transmitted?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Please explain in detail why my position is considered a straw man proposal.
the topic is: biblical contradiction, didn't you know?

After all, HH's statement was referring to the accuracy and integrity of the written text, not its claims, which actually renders your statement a straw man proposal...
so what are we arguing about, what it says or who said it and how accurate whatever it's saying is without the having the original documents...you're funny.
:facepalm:

james2ko

the topic is: biblical contradiction, didn't you know?

You call that a detailed explanation??? Youre funny..

so what are we arguing about, what it says or who said it and how accurate whatever it's saying is without the having the original documents...you're funny.

If you recall, the dialogue was between HH and I, And it specifically addressed his reply about the text's accuracy and reliability , not its claims. You happened to butt in and created a strawman by implying I was referring to the bibles claims. Typical of you..

james2ko

Again: what relationship is there between the fidelity of transmission and the accuracy of what is being transmitted?

As far as the original languages, the relationship would be like Captain and Tinelle's. The translations-- Ike and Tina Turner..:D

BTW..I thought I made your ignore list?
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2917317-post221.html

Nevertheless, good to know someone of your intellectual prowess still has an interest in what this Christian has to say ;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
You call that a detailed explanation??? Youre funny..
we are not talking about Herodotus, Tacitus, Plato, homer ,Thucydides...you know that right...
so bringing them up is a straw man argument...
as there is no claim of being god attested to these people...so really who cares? you're reaching...
but then again...by all means, whatever makes you feel better.

If you recall, the dialogue was between HH and I, And it specifically addressed his reply about the text's accuracy and reliability , not its claims. You happened to butt in and created a strawman by implying I was referring to the bibles claims. Typical of you..
so? cry me a river :sad4:
what were you referring to, the accuracy and integrity of the written text? define "claims"
:biglaugh:

seems here you are relying on the notion that if the intent was true then it really was true

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member

As far as the original languages, the relationship would be like Captain and Tinelle's. The translations-- Ike and Tina Turner..:D

BTW..I thought I made your ignore list?
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2917317-post221.html

Nevertheless, good to know someone of your intellectual prowess still has an interest in what this Christian has to say ;)
thats right....
:run:

Kapad

Where does the Bible say that it is infallible, complete, and without man made error in writing, translating or transcribing? It seems that the Bible itself lacks any such claim and needs no puny defense. For example, I note that Paul tells his young friend Timothy that he (Timothy) had from his youth scriptures sufficient to bring him salvation... Well, that would not have included the "New Testament" at all. It seems to me that a number of religions including the Christian and Islamic faiths fall into a self created trap when the accepted canon becomes closed, therefore complete, and somehow self-interpreting.

D.L.H.

So I'm going to attempt to refute the 463 contraditcions in this link SAB contradictions It'll probably take awhile so please bear with me

I've been there. Done that. The only logical reason for doing so is to learn the Bible from another perspective. They may raise points that wouldn't have occurred to you. Here is some useful tips to someone who has been there.

1. Keep in mind that annotations are brief asides. The SAB is greatly overestimated by so called skeptics. The annotations are, for the most part, uninformed mockeries. Even a little research would have given Steve Wells, its originator, the answers to his own criticism.

2. The so called skeptic isn't really skeptical at all, they reject. It doesn't matter even if you produce good answers, you will not impress the "skeptics." They are not looking for answers.

3. Steve Wells began the SAB because members of his immediate family were drawn into the Jehovah's Witnesses. The only chance you have of giving sound answers is if you, like the JW, abandon the pagan influence in Christianity. This, in turn, upsets Mr. Wells even more. It is the pursuit of vanity.

4. If you have good answers, according to Steve Wells, in other words, dumbed down answers that skeptics can laugh at, let him know and he will link to your answers.

D.L.H.

fantôme profane;2915919 said:
Although I kind of like the SAB site, it is really not the best source or scholarly criticism of religious texts. I have no doubt that Vadergirl will be able legitimately refute some of the claims of contradictions. Others will require a great deal of mental gymnastics to rationalize. And the majority of them will just be ignored or forgotten. She will no doubt be able to convince herself that there are no contradictions in the Bible, but she will not be able to convince anyone else.

I think that anyone who knows the Bible well knows that there are contradictions, in fact, they know where those contradictions are. The SAB, however, doesn't really have a clue.

D.L.H.

As apposed to worrying about the contradictions, I always wonder why nobody cares about the wild claims like people living to be 200, 400, 900 years old. That right there tells you the stories are simply that... stories,

Merlin was over 1000 years old... (oh wait...just a story) :D

The Bible states that there was a water canopy in the sky before the flood. Peter mentions this water canopy was gone after the flood. The canopy would have blocked much of the suns harmful radiation while also acting as a greenhouse resulting in a global tropical climate. The lifespan dramatically decreased after the flood.