• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical business advice

CaptainBritain

To the guys and gals who have an instant recall brain for scripture (try as i might my brain does not work that way but praise be for Biblegateways search tool)

Id like to tap you collective brilliance in discussing the Bibles advice on business conduct and how well it transfers to, todays world.
If we consider the meat grinder the worlds finances are in at the moment i reckon it can do no harm to see what the almighty has to say on the subject.

I will search out a few Bible passages but in the meantime if any of my better brethren have a long list of chapters and verses fresh in there minds to discuss id be greatfull.

Sure this is not a tingle down the spine topic, but boy are we in need of a bit of Biblical wisdom on the issue.

Many thanks, Steve.

A

angellous_evangellous

Steve, is this for yourself as a "Christian" business owner?

CaptainBritain

Steve, is this for yourself as a "Christian" business owner?

Well I do own a business (Im a chef and part owner) but so far the credit crunch has left us alone God willing,
I was only born again three years ago and im still working my way through the Bibles many areas of wisdom (which im told is a never ending quest), if any of it can be of help to my business id be a fool to ignore it
Ive found that the Bible has pretty much everything covered,

But anything that the Bible has to say on business dealings, good practice and moral conduct on the subject is very welcome, be it for small guys like me or the financial fate of entire nations.

And perhaps amongst the many scriptures that im sure will be found all will find atleast one part of Gods word that will help them too.
A communal knowledge share and discussion of perspectives.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well I do own a business (Im a chef and part owner) but so far the credit crunch has left us alone God willing,
I was only born again three years ago and im still working my way through the Bibles many areas of wisdom (which im told is a never ending quest), if any of it can be of help to my business id be a fool to ignore it
Ive found that the Bible has pretty much everything covered,

But anything that the Bible has to say on business dealings, good practice and moral conduct on the subject is very welcome, be it for small guys like me or the financial fate of entire nations.

And perhaps amongst the many scriptures that im sure will be found all will find atleast one part of Gods word that will help them too.
A communal knowledge share and discussion of perspectives.

I dunno, man. It seems to me that Christian values are destructive rather than constructive when it comes to matters of the state and businesses.

Christianity is sustained by principles of self-sacrifice, and the state and business are sustained by principles of self-interest and continuance. That is, the Christian is called to live a life of sacrifice while the state and business exist to build themselves up.

Now, I've seen many admirable Christian business owners who were so blessed that they were able to give out of their abundance to causes of social justice, the church, and so forth... and were so generous and just that they can only be admirable. I don't understand this...

The first thing that I would do if I were you is forgo the notion that you need bible verses that specifically explain transactions or are of a business-like nature in the scriptures themselves for two reasons:

1) These teachings were not given to a capitalist - you're in quite a different situation, and the application of such teachings may (1) not be legal and (2) won't make any sense at all

2) Every normal Christian principle would apply to you anyway. That is, as a business owner, you're still required to turn the other cheek, etc.