• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Group Read: Genesis

rojse

RF Addict
I've created this thread in order to start a group read, for everyone who wishes to discuss their interpretations and readings of "Genesis". All religious beliefs are welcome.

Just_me_Mike

I've created this thread in order to start a group read, for everyone who wishes to discuss their interpretations and readings of "Genesis". All religious beliefs are welcome.
Hmmmm :sarcastic
So how does this work? Should I say a prayer first?

rojse

RF Addict
I have the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), which I have just started reading, and have two points which I think worth discussing:

1) The only way I think that the account of creation in Genesis should be interpreted is as ancient religious mythology. As a metaphor, it gets the order of events in the history of Earth completely wrong, and fares even worse as a literal truth, blatantly disregardin major areas of scientific endeavour.

2) It seems to me that there are two accounts of creation in there. The first chapter details the account that most people discuss - creation in seven days, Man created after everything is done. However, lines 2:4 to 2:25 seem to detail a separate account entirely.

I've tried to make a rough outline of how everything is ordered between the two:

Chapter One
- Plants created
- Animals created
- Adam created
- Eve created

Chapter Two
- Adam created
- Plants created
- Animals created
- Eve created

Can someone more familiar with Biblical matters discuss this, as I suspect I have my interpretation of this incorrect.

rojse

RF Addict
Hmmmm :sarcastic
So how does this work? Should I say a prayer first?

You find a copy of the Bible. You read Genesis. You post here your opinions and thoughts on what you have read. Anything else to this is superfluous.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
1) The only way I think that the account of creation in Genesis should be interpreted is as ancient religious mythology. As a metaphor, it gets the order of events in the history of Earth completely wrong, and fares even worse as a literal truth, blatantly disregardin major areas of scientific endeavour.
No no no! Taken non-literally, it gets them beautifully right! The structure is elegant and balanced, and when you consider the numerolgoy, and how it serendiptously (at least for Christians) forms a cross, it gets really mindblowing.

rojse

RF Addict
No no no! Taken non-literally, it gets them beautifully right! The structure is elegant and balanced, and when you consider the numerolgoy, and how it serendiptously (at least for Christians) forms a cross, it gets really mindblowing.

Can you explain how it gets them right, Storm?

Where is the numerology and the cross, by the way?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Can you explain how it gets them right, Storm?

Where is the numerology and the cross, by the way?
Assuming it's permissible to use an outside source:
[SIZE=+2] The religious meaning of the number seven is derived in part from the numerological combination of the three zones of the cosmos (heaven, earth, underworld) seen vertically, and the four directions, or zones, of the cosmos seen horizontally. Thus seven (adding three and four) and twelve (multiplying them) are recurrent biblical symbols of totality and perfection. The liturgically repeated phrase "And God saw that it was good," and the final capping phrase "And behold it was very good," are paralleled and underlined by being placed in a structure climaxed by a seventh day.[/SIZE]

A parallelism of two sets of three days is also being employed, with the second set of days populating the first: light and darkness (day one) are populated by the greater and lesser lights (four); firmament and waters (two) by birds and fish (five); earth and vegetation (three) by land animals and humans (six). Two sets of three days, each with two types of created phenomena, equaling twelve, thus permitted the additional association with the corresponding numerological symbol of wholeness and fulfillment. The totality of nature is created by God, and is to be affirmed in a hymn of celebration and praise for its "very goodness."
From Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance, by Conrad Hyers

I highly recommend the article, it gave me a whole new appreciation of the Creation story.

rojse

RF Addict
To the moderators: should such a thread (one intended for polite discussion from members of any religion about Genesis) be best placed in another forum - "scriptural debates", "comparative religion", or so forth? I'll trust the mods to figure out the right spot.

Also, could a moderator delete this post after it has been acted upon (if such action is necessary)?

wiseguy

I like to view things scientifically and I am a Believer. I use the King James Version. Chapter 1 covers creation day by day. Chapter 2, verses 1-3 cover day 7 of creation. So we have a chrono description day 1 - 7 of creation. We've been provided with an overview up to this point. Beginning with Chapter 2, verse 4 you are getting more narrative and the story is getting filled in. It may not necessarily be in chrono order. If you read Genesis 1, verses 1 and 2 you could interpret that (and I do) to be saying "God created the heavens and earth...and the earth was waste and void..." and that this was before the 7 days of creation began. So there could have been lot's of time between that and day one in verse 3 which tells us that God created the light and goes on to state that this was one day. Scripture does state that to God one day is as a thousand years. So we really don't know how long a "day" is.

Just_me_Mike

I've tried to make a rough outline of how everything is ordered between the two:

Chapter One
- Plants created
- Animals created
- Adam created
- Eve created

Chapter Two
- Adam created
- Plants created
- Animals created
- Eve created

Can someone more familiar with Biblical matters discuss this, as I suspect I have my interpretation of this incorrect.
If you read again, you might find a couple interesting points. On day 3, the seeds for plants, fruit and so forth were planted, this is chapter one's account. On day 5 only the birds and ocean life were created in Chapter 1's account. On day 6, land animals and man were created.

When you go to Chapter 2, you find that the seeds were already there, but rain had not fallen yet, and man had not been made to till the land yet.

So if you are not fed up with this thread, let's look at this carefully. Look forward to your reply.

Shamuwn

At This Point I Must Make It Clear That The Name Nakhash - Aramic - Being Used For Serpent Simply Means A Whisperer . The Word Serpent Is A Derivative Of Seraph - Aramic - Meaning 'Burning , Fire ' Seraphim - Aramic - Meaning 'Firty Serpent ' , A Symbol Of Protection , To The House Of The Most High , Those That Were There To Serve Yahweh , As Used By Moses In Numbers 21 ; 9 , Where You'll Find The Word Serpent Yet In Hebrew Nakhash - Aramic - To Protect The Children Of Israel In Their Travel Through The Wilderness Out Of Egypt , Where It Is Called A Uraeus , Or Cobra , Representing The Goddess Radjet , A Symbol Also Born By The Egyptian Deities Amun -Ra And Har ( Horus ) , And Has Been Adopted As The Caudesus , Used As A Symbol Of Health , And Called The Kundalint , The Sleeping Serpent . Also Read Genesis 3 ; 1 . .

The Some Christians Claim That Eve Ate Of The Apple Of The Tree In The Enclosed Garden , However If You Look At The Quote Genesid 3 ; 2 , It Says ; '' ... We May Eat Of The < Feree > Fruit Of The < Ates > Trees Of The Garden , .... And The Aramic Hebrew Word Used For Fruit Is < Feree > Meaning ' Fruit , Offspring , Produce Of The Ground . This Is Not The Same As The Word Used In Song Of Solomon 2 ; 3 , Where It Says ; As The < Taffooak > Apple Tree Among The Trees Of The Wood ...

And The Word Used Here Is < Taffooak > Meaning ' Apple Tree . In Ashuric ( Arabic ) It Is Tufaha . This Word Is Not Used Anywhere In The Torah . When It Mentions The < Feree > Fruit Of The Tree In Genesis Chapter 3 , It Has Nothing To Do With An Apple . Yet , The Fruit Of This Garden Was Called An Apple For The Well Known < Rimmown > -Aramic - Prmegranate Apple Worn On The Kohane Priest Robe In Exodus 28 ; 30 - 34 And Exodus 39 ; 26 . This Symbplic Apple At The End Of The < Meheel > - Aramic - Robe Was A Poppy Seed Also Called < Qat -Arabic - The Pomegranate Resembles The Poppy Seed And Is An Intoxicant Producting A Flower That Is Yellow , Rose Pink , Scarlet , Red , Orange Or White , That Is Pleasant To The Eye As Well . The Poppy Seed Is Also Used As Food . It Is Used As Flavoring And Yields A Oil To Make It Good , And Then The Poppy Seed Is Transformed Into Opium , That Eludes One Into Thinking They Are Wise , Genesis 3 ; 6 . This Is How The Name Apple Got Confused With The Pomegranate Apple Of That Day Which Is A Replica In Appearance To The Poppy Plant . Also Read Genesis 3 ; 3 - 5

Partaking Of The Tree Of Lust Refer To Genesis 3 ; 6 . In Genesis 2 ; 7 Qadmon , Called Also Adam , Or Zakar , And Nekaybow , Called Also Hawwah , Or Eve , < Ahyin > 'Eyes Because < Fawkakh > Open , And They Became Aware . Their Private Parts Were There , But Nudity Was Not Looked At As Shame , Except In The Land Of Nud , Which Is Nod In Aramic ( Hebrew ) . The Moment They Got Intoxicated , They Both Inherited Stimulation ; That's Why They Say , '' And They Knew That They Were Without Clothes '' . Qadmon Adam , Or Zakar Had Got An Erection , And Nekaybow ,Hawwah , Eve's Mammilla Teat That Is The Nipples Of Her Areoli , Mammaries Erected , Thus They Began Lusting After Each Other . The Eloheem Wanted To Raise Adam And Eve To A Certain Age And Prepare Them Before They Would Have Children , So There Wouldn't Be No Imbalancement Or Defects . Now That They Took Of The Intoxicating Fruit Of The Tree, Their Eyes Became Open .

Now , Notice Their Eyes Became Open . Now , Notice What It Says ; Their Eyes Became Open And They Knew That They Were < Awrone > Naked '' , It Didn't Say , The Eyes Became Open , And Right Away They Knew About Agreeable And Disagreeable '' , The Drug Stimulated Them And They Became Sexually Attracted To Each Other . So What They Did Ws . After They Indulged In Sex , They Sewed Fifs Leaves Together , And Covered Their Private Parts . They Made A Apron . So Of Course , Lust Shifted From The Actual To The Suspense ; Meaning No Longer Was Eve Stimulated By Merely Looking At His Penis , She Was Now Stimulated By The Thought ; And No Longer Was Adam Stimulated By Looking At Eve's Vagina And Breast ; But He Was Now Stimulated By The Thought . Interest Shifted From The Physical Act Of People Walking Around Naked To The Hidden . So It Changed To Lust , Which Is Rooted From The Word Luster 'To Be Attracted . Refer To Genesis 3 ; 7 - 13 , The Punishment Verse 14 .

Make Note Of The Hebrew Word Zehrah - Aramic - ' Seed ( Genesis 3 ; 15 ) Being Used For Both Eve's Descendants And The Serpent's [ Nakhash ] Descendants . It Is Clear At This Point According To The Scriptures That This Serpent Of Genesis Chapter Three , Has Descendants Meaning A Genealogy , A Family , A Wife , And Children . This Is Not A Snake , But The Word Being Used For Serpent Is Nakhash - Aramic - Meaning '' Whisperer ' , A Talking Being With A Larynx And A Voice Box Who Spoke To Eve In The Garden . One Who Lived Before Her And Obviously Learned How To Speak From Someone Or Somebody , And Spoke A Specific Language That She Overstood . Also Read Genesis 3 ; 15 - 17 .

The Reading Of The Akasha Records Beneath The Asa , Ates - Aramic - Tree Is Symbolic Of The Tree Alphabets , Also Called The Tree Of Toth , Which Reveals The Mysteries . It Was Recorded In A Form Of Cuneiform Called Ates - In Aramic ( Hebrew ) And Asa In Ashuric Syriac ( Arabic ) , Meaning 'An Upright Stick , Staff , Cane , Because The Script Was Based On Vertical And Horizontal Wedges As The Branches Of A Tree . The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Evil Is Symbolic Of The Receiving Of Will , The Decision Making Process That Leads One To Be Agreeable Or To Make The Decision To Disagree . This Is What Was Contained In The Akasha Records That Was Not For They Eyes Of Adam . Yet , He Did Read It And His Eyes Were Opened Transforming From Immortal As A Deity To Mortality As A Human , From A Being Without Destiny To A Being Destined . Also Read Genesis 3 ; 18 - 21 .

The Knowldge Of Agreeable From Disagreeable ~ A Yahuwa Of The Eloheem Said Behold , ( Talking To The Cherubeems ) Now Adam Has Become As < Ekhawd > - Aramic - ' One ' Of < Naw > 'Us ' , A Disagreeable Being For He Was Already Created Agreeable . So This Could Only Mean He Became Something New , Which Would Be Like The Disagreeable Cherubeems ; His < Ahyin > 'Eyes ' Are < Fawkakh > 'Open . When It Says One Of Us , It's Implying As One Of The Cherubeems , Those Guarding The East End Of The Enclosed Garden As In Genesis 3 ; 24 . He Now < Yawdah > 'Knows , Meaning He Has Will Power Now . He Has It In His Nature . The < Naw > Being Used In The Hebrew For Us , Also Implies That There Were More Than One Yahuwa Involved In This Situation . This Was The 24 Yahwehs Or Elders Which Were In The Garden Of Eden , 12 Agreeable ( Serapheems ) And 12 Disagreeable ( Cherubeems ) Called Luciferians .

Shamuwn

So Adam Now < Yawdah > 'Knows Pleasure From Pain , Sober From Intoxication , Right From Wrong And Disagreeable From Agreeable . He's Been Confronted With Deception , Because He's Been Deceived . He Tried To Lie And Pervert Thoughts . He Is Just Like < Ekhawd > - Aramic - ' One ' Of < Naw > 'Us ' , [ Those Disagreeable Ones , And Us Agreeable Ones ] . In The State That Adam Is In , He's Not Entitled To What He Was Created To Get ; His Divinity As A Etherian Again Which Would Be Eternal Life . He Must Pass Through Stages , And This Stage That You're Passing Through Is A 6,000 Year Period From Adam's Expulsion Without His Barathary Gland And His Four Higher Senses Of Divinity Namely ; 1 . Intuition , 2 . Clairvoyance , 3 . Phychometry , 4 Telepathy . And From The Enclosed Garden Of Delight Until The End Of This Era , Also Read Genesis 3 ; 22 - 23 .

The Eloheem Had To Force Zakar / Adam And Nekaybaw / Eve Leave The Enclosed Garden Of Delight . They Never Mention That In The Bible . The Aramic Hebrew Word Used In Genesis 3 ; 24 Is < Gawrash > Meaning 'Evicted To Drive Out . They Did Not Want To Leave , So They Drove Them Out . That's Why In Genesis 3 ; 24 . They Put Cherubeem , The Second Order Of Angelic Hierarchy . As The Two Cherubeems , Also Called Kerubim , That Protected The Mercy Seat ( Exodus 25 ; 18 - 20 ) , Or Cover Of The Ark In The Holy Of Holies . Their Symbol Was Of The Kareb Meaning 'Near Ones , Or The Kerubi Of The Assyrians , Karab - Bull Headed With Extended Wings , In Egypt In Front Of A Naos As Protecors , Faces Of Men , Bodies Of Bull With Extended Wings . Disagreeable Angelic Beings , The Wicked Ones . And It Is Necesary To Put Wicked Beings To Guard The East End Of The Gate , Because Adam Was Going To Try To Get Back Into The Garden , So They Had To Protect It . The Order Of Cherubeems [ Men , Warriors ] That Did Not Like Adam , But Knew They Were Stationed At The East End Of The Garden . Why The East ? Because The Easterm Side Of The Garden Of Delight Was Facing Nod ,

The Persian Gulf Area From Which Nakhaas Entered . The Western Side Of The Garden Of Delight Was Pointing Towards The Nile . They Were Worried About The People At The Tigris And Euphrates , That's Where Adam And Eve Were Put Out . They Ended Up Migrating Towards Sawdeh - Aramic - , The Outer Field , Called Sudan , Nubia , The First Cuwsh - Aramic , Kish , Genesis 2 ; 13 , Where You See Ethiopia , In Hebrew You Find Kush , Long Before The Cush Of Genesis 10 ; 6 Was Born . Adam Wanted To Get To The Tree Of Khayyim - Aramic - Divine Life ' , People Have Ben Seeking That Tree , And They Call It The Fountain Of Youth , And Have Been Trying To Find Ways To Preserve Life . In Actuality It Is Symbolic Of Herbivorism .

Source / Authors
By Dr . Malachi Z.York-El 33 / 720

rojse

RF Addict
If you read again, you might find a couple interesting points. On day 3, the seeds for plants, fruit and so forth were planted, this is chapter one's account. On day 5 only the birds and ocean life were created in Chapter 1's account. On day 6, land animals and man were created.

When you go to Chapter 2, you find that the seeds were already there, but rain had not fallen yet, and man had not been made to till the land yet.

So if you are not fed up with this thread, let's look at this carefully. Look forward to your reply.

But that still does not explain the incongruency of animals being created after Adam was born.

rojse

RF Addict
Assuming it's permissible to use an outside source:
[SIZE=+2]The religious meaning of the number seven is derived in part from the numerological combination of the three zones of the cosmos (heaven, earth, underworld) seen vertically, and the four directions, or zones, of the cosmos seen horizontally. Thus seven (adding three and four) and twelve (multiplying them) are recurrent biblical symbols of totality and perfection. The liturgically repeated phrase "And God saw that it was good," and the final capping phrase "And behold it was very good," are paralleled and underlined by being placed in a structure climaxed by a seventh day.[/SIZE]

A parallelism of two sets of three days is also being employed, with the second set of days populating the first: light and darkness (day one) are populated by the greater and lesser lights (four); firmament and waters (two) by birds and fish (five); earth and vegetation (three) by land animals and humans (six). Two sets of three days, each with two types of created phenomena, equaling twelve, thus permitted the additional association with the corresponding numerological symbol of wholeness and fulfillment. The totality of nature is created by God, and is to be affirmed in a hymn of celebration and praise for its "very goodness."
From Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance, by Conrad Hyers

I highly recommend the article, it gave me a whole new appreciation of the Creation story.

The problem I have with the numerology here is that, in this case, it seems to be quite forced. I believe Christianity espouses more than three "zones of the cosmos" - where is purgatory, for example? As to four directions in each cosmos, where is the vertical aspect of each area? Or the fact that there is no reason to give heaven and hell such crass qualities as a particular size, other than an insistence to try and fit a numerological value of four with three?

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And yet you place a discussion of the opening book of the Torah in the Christianity forum. That speaks volumes ...

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
And yet you place a discussion of the opening book of the Torah in the Christianity forum. That speaks volumes ...

Oh, come on, Jay. Christians use the Torah, as well. It's not limited to Jews.

Since you're here, how about you give your views on Genesis?