• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best path to recourse to my own true self?

agorman

Premium Member
I'm still feeling guided these days to Buddhism by some Norse gods and the message I think I got from Týr (maybe it's just myself inspired by Týr, who knows, maybe they're just my thoughts) is that within Buddhism I can choose what to attach and detach myself to. Enlightenement is being able to detach and attach myself to anything I want. And in that way, I could detach myself from what causes me to suffer and get attached to things that make me enjoy (or not to attach myself to anything). Even being not attached to anything, someone could choose to become attached again to something if it has any sense to do so. The example is a bodhisattva who chooses to keep being attached to the task of helping all sentient beings.

Týr transmitted me that we are always really in control of our lives. e.g. If we want to be rich or poor... it's up to us. But most of us humans don't realize about our attachment to the concepts that make us suffer. Our lives depend on our mind's attachments to one thing or the other. So if you're sick it's because deep inside you want to be sick for some reason you won't normally admit (want for attention perhaps?). Being enlightened means to know about those attachments and being able to change them or get rid of them.

I told Týr that "Buddhism doesn't believe in a self". He answered the true self isn't described in Buddhism to avoid people to categorize it. "Say I am this, I am that and you could end up limiting yourself". e.g. "I am just a human being", etc.

Týr also told me that "those who wrote you should detach from all things were monks. And they're monks because they didn't want any relationships with other people due to past disappointments."

I told Týr I don't like Buddhism's "non-violence in all cases" attitude. He answered me that "Karma is just the consequences of your actions. Think about the consequences of violence or non-violence in every case. Whether you act or not, you have to consider the consequences". I didn't quite understand that message; especially coming from a war god. BTW, I think about this and I feel a tingling above my forehead.

Anyway, I still doubt I should try Buddhism again. So what do you think is the best path to recourse to the capabilities of one's higher self instead of begging the gods? I like the fact that asking help to bodhisattvas is to release what is already in yourself. But maybe the same could be said about Hinduism or even Satanism, Luciferianism, Thelema or Chaos Magick among other paths.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not a Buddhist, however I do respect some of their efforts and ideas. I think they have some very universal ideas. I do not know what you mean by your higher self, but I do understand the phrase 'Best self'. Some LHP focus heavily upon a higher self as do some Buddhists of the Mahayana school.

Given the above, my thought is that we do not always know when we are making a mistake. So in that case we cannot know. I personally feel penalized for many mistakes that I would have avoided if I knew that they were mistakes.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The best path for a true self is seeking truth wherever it is. I don't know for sure that Buddhism has a lot of truth, they tend to be willing to detach so easily, dumping lies wouldn't be an issue. I do think they are probably the most scientifically accurate because of it, they are also a big pusher in experiencing the path and not by words alone. The story goes, when Buddha became enlightened, he failed first few times trying to share it, so he developed a religion where people need to actually walk the path.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I meant the immortal, indivisible part of us... our true, purely personal self. I think you Christians sometimes call it Holy Spirit or Holy Guardian Angel.
The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity. He is God. A guardian angel would be...well, an angel that looks after you. So, no.

agorman

Premium Member
The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity. He is God. A guardian angel would be...well, an angel that looks after you. So, no.

Yes I said "sometimes". Yours is the true Christian way of seeing the Holy Spirit and Guardian Angel.

The best path for a true self is seeking truth wherever it is. I don't know for sure that Buddhism has a lot of truth, they tend to be willing to detach so easily, dumping lies wouldn't be an issue. I do think they are probably the most scientifically accurate because of it, they are also a big pusher in experiencing the path and not by words alone. The story goes, when Buddha became enlightened, he failed first few times trying to share it, so he developed a religion where people need to actually walk the path.

Then I suspect my path should be Buddhist, except for the things I don't like about Buddhism. Somewhat like those Christians that believe in Jesus, but don't belong to any Church and interpret the Bible as they see fit.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes I said "sometimes". Yours is the true Christian way of seeing the Holy Spirit and Guardian Angel.

Then I suspect my path should be Buddhist, except for the things I don't like about Buddhism. Somewhat like those Christians that believe in Jesus, but don't belong to any Church and interpret the Bible as they see fit.
People verify basically to what they think is true, a lot of modern folks think science is a pretty good standard. Some look at a particular religious text and say that's the standard to verify whether something is true or not.