• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bertrand Russell's Advice for Future Generations

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
The guy who didn't believe in God but believed in space teapots? Please.

Personally, I feel that, no matter what he believed, these words spoken in the video are quite amazing. Sure, the words spoken may be common sense, but sometimes, we lose track of common sense. It's up to us as individuals to not put our feelings above everything else, and look to the truth.

Rational Agnostic

The guy who didn't believe in God but believed in space teapots? Please.

What are you talking about? He used an analogy of a tiny space teapot to illustrate the absurdity of un-falsifiable beliefs, but of course he didn't believe in it. BTW, in case you aren't aware, Russell was one of the smartest people who ever lived, certainly much smarter than you or I. His contributions to mathematics and philosophy are extensive, and he was also a very kindhearted man who had great concern about humanity's future.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
What are you talking about? He used an analogy of a tiny space teapot to illustrate the absurdity of un-falsifiable beliefs, but of course he didn't believe in it. BTW, in case you aren't aware, Russell was one of the smartest people who ever lived, certainly much smarter than you or I. His contributions to mathematics and philosophy are extensive, and he was also a very kindhearted man who had great concern about humanity's future.
The dude spent half his career trying to prove that one plus one is two. Yeah, let's rush to take advice from THAT guy.

Rational Agnostic

The dude spent half his career trying to prove that one plus one is two. Yeah, let's rush to take advice from THAT guy.

Mathematical proofs, even of what seem to be self-evident facts (like 1+1 = 2), are very rigorous and formal, and require careful, logical thinking and patience (I've had some personal experience in this area, though obviously I'm not even close to the level of Russell's intellect). Most people such as yourself aren't cut out for rigorous mathematics, and that's okay, but it's not a good reason to insult those who are.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think hatred and love are both foolish.

Love is just a more pleasant type of foolishness.

Have to choose your folly wisely. :thumbsup:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Mathematical proofs, even of what seem to be self-evident facts (like 1+1 = 2), are very rigorous and formal, and require careful, logical thinking and patience (I've had some personal experience in this area, though obviously I'm not even close to the level of Russell's intellect). Most people such as yourself aren't cut out for rigorous mathematics, and that's okay, but it's not a good reason to insult those who are.
Such as myself? I'll take my criticism from people with a working sense of irony, thanks.

Rational Agnostic

Such as myself? I'll take my criticism from people with a working sense of irony, thanks.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that, but I don't think it's fair for you to take shots at Bertrand Russell, who was a very brilliant, wise, and kindhearted man. It's possible that you are more intelligent than I am. However, I'd wager that Russell was significantly smarter than both you and I, or anyone on RF, and it's unfortunate that you seem to want to insult him. At the very least, you should appreciate what he said in this video even if you disagree with him on other issues.

GoodbyeDave

I can't be bothered to watch videos: what's wrong with text?

Was Russell brilliant? Well, I suppose it was bad luck that his attempt to base mathematics on logic was demolished by Gödel. But I can't say I was impressed by those of his philosophical books I read.

Then there's the question of kindness and wisdom. This was the man who advocated a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union in 1946 and who described Kennedy as "worse than Hitler".