• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie defends Omar

Shaul

Premium Member
So? If two people can agree on absolutely nothing they're probably lying.
Yeah, and if a known anti-Semite like David Duke agrees with your opinions about Jews and Israel, like he agrees with Rep. Omar, than that means she couldn’t possibly be a Jew hater. No, wait, it actually sort of does mean that she could be a Jew hater.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Actually David Duke now doesn’t endorse Trump for President, he endorses Tulsi Gabbard, a Democrat. Ex-KKK leader David Duke backs Tulsi Gabbard for president It seems his support of Trump wasn’t really strong after all. So, yeah, David Duke loves all kinds of Democrats.
Again, so? I'm more than confident if we looked we'd find people who agree with you on an issue even though it wouldn't look flattering to have them on your list of supporters.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah, and if a known anti-Semite like David Duke agrees with your opinions about Jews and Israel, like he agrees with Rep. Omar, than that means she couldn’t possibly be a Jew hater. No, wait, it actually sort of does mean that she could be a Jew hater.
Except Omar didn't give an opinion about the Jews or Israel, only about US political support for Israel. In other words, it was more of an opinion on America and US Politicians than Israel and the Jews.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
I just googled "Omar's anti-Semitic tropes" and several articles came up saying that there were some, and how outraged people are by them, etc., etc. But so far I haven't been able to find any actual examples of said tropes.

Can someone help me out?

The words "Hypnotized", "Evil", and "Benjamins" via twitter...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/6/18251639/ilhan-omar-israel-anti-semitism-jews

In 2012, she tweeted that "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel"

In mid-February, Omar created another stir when she tweeted that support for Israel in the US Congress was "all about the Benjamins,"

Had she replaced the word "Israel" with "The current Israeli Government", I think the statements would be easier to defend.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Because . . .?
The statements cannot be confused as anti-semitic if they are limited in scope to current political policies.

Edit:

Here is my original answer to the question posed by the OP. My reply was post#2.

I vote: Yes, Bernie is right. Accurately criticizing Ilhan Omar requires ESP.

Last edited: