• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing in nothing

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well nihilism exists, so I assume it's possible.

As for why anyone would want it... :shrug:

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
I sometimes get the sense that nothing is real, or that everything's an illusion. Probably caused by too much time in the sun, but I honestly don't know why anyone would desire such a feeling.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is it possible? And why would one want to achieve this?
It is possible. I don't know as it's necessary or anything --people get by just fine with all their somethings.

It does answer a few questions that otherwise go relatively unexplored, like, 'What the heck does that "yin/yang" symbol mean?'

TurkeyOnRye

Sometimes, perhaps most of the time, nihilism happens by accident. I think it's a result of too much inquiry.

In my experience, nihilism intensifies pain if you are a particularly attached person. If you have a depressing view of the world, however, nihilism may be quite relieving. It's all relative though.

Last edited:

tomspug

Absorbant
Just as one might become religious to "escape pain"?
Perhaps. Although I think there is a significant difference between attempting to escape pain and attempting to heal pain. However, I can see where a similarity could lie.

Most certainly there are people who think that the purpose of religion is to make your life easy, safe, and problem-free.

idea

Question Everything
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

You support what you do not fight against.
It is impossible to do nothing.

I believe that "0" exists.

The absence of something is something.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
There's a difference between being supportive and not caring

reminds me of a story I read to my little ones:

There was once a boy named Pierre
Who only would say, I don't care!
Read his story, my friend, for you'll find
At the end that a suitable
Moral lies there

link for the entire sad story of what Pierre supports by not caring:)

What do you mean by "doing" nothing?

You are correct - you cannot "do" nothing. only something.

Last edited:

Sententia

Is it possible? And why would one want to achieve this?

Often believing in nothing is confused with not believing in the supernatural. I would be careful, personally, with anything derived from such a belief.

Many times people regarded as rejecting the supernatural embrace much more then nothing but are afraid to come out of their shell. In my experience anyways people have been berated and beaten into saying they believe in nothing or something... whatever will make you stop judging me.

;)