• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

beleaf of jugement day in judaism

Levite

Higher and Higher
ok thanks

and how do they consider Jesus? in he jew community how do you consider him ?

and the kabalist?

No part of Judaism, Kabbalistic or otherwise, considers Jesus anything other than a man who was not the messiah, and whose followers tried to make him into a god. Believing the Jesus was the messiah is heresy in Judaism, and believing that he was anything divine is absolutely and entirely incompatible with Judaism.

If you want more information about this, I believe there are several threads in this DIR and in other forums where Jewish thought concerning Jesus is discussed at length.

alishan

i thought kabalist may have other opinion.

and whose man was consider as the messiah in the history?

i wanted to know other

is kabalist who are mystic have said some sentence like hindou or soufi mystic that all is God and that everything is a manifestation of God?

like Hallaj the soufi saying "iam the Truth iam the Truth" meaning iam God

was there some kabalist master who talked like this?

horizon_mj1

No part of Judaism, Kabbalistic or otherwise, considers Jesus anything other than a man who was not the messiah, and whose followers tried to make him into a god. Believing the Jesus was the messiah is heresy in Judaism, and believing that he was anything divine is absolutely and entirely incompatible with Judaism.

If you want more information about this, I believe there are several threads in this DIR and in other forums where Jewish thought concerning Jesus is discussed at length.
Yes, this being so, are there not still some writings relevant to Jesus that are read in Judaism? Isn't Muhammad's writings also read as well?

Flankerl

There are some writings in the talmud about Jesus. But lets just say its not favorable.

Jesus and Mohammed are not prophets or important figures in judaism.

horizon_mj1

There are some writings in the talmud about Jesus. But lets just say its not favorable.

Jesus and Mohammed are not prophets or important figures in judaism.
Thank you for that clairification. One more question (in your personal opinion) do you think this lends any relevance to Jesus existing?

Flankerl

What do you mean? If Jesus actually lived?

I care as much about him as all the other jews that lived 2000 years ago.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yes, this being so, are there not still some writings relevant to Jesus that are read in Judaism? Isn't Muhammad's writings also read as well?

No. No part of the Christian scriptures is canonized, or at all formally studied in Judaism. Nor is any part of the Quran, hadith, sira, or any other Muslim core works.

Nothing in Jewish scripture has anything to do with Jesus, Muhammad, or other religions. They don't figure in our texts, and we have no religious interest in the scriptures and holy figures of other faiths.

horizon_mj1

No. No part of the Christian scriptures is canonized, or at all formally studied in Judaism. Nor is any part of the Quran, hadith, sira, or any other Muslim core works.

Nothing in Jewish scripture has anything to do with Jesus, Muhammad, or other religions. They don't figure in our texts, and we have no religious interest in the scriptures and holy figures of other faiths.
Thank you. I realize that they would not be Canonized, but I was not sure of other studied text that would hold any relevance.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
are david and solomon prophets in judaism or not?
No. They weren't prophets because that wasn't their primary function in service to G-D. Both David and Shlomo were warriors and kings. Prophets brought warnings and instruction to those in power. Those two were the ones in power.

A site give me this information.

The Talmud teaches that there were hundreds of thousands of prophets: twice as many as the number of people who left Egypt, which was 600,000. But most of the prophets conveyed messages that were intended solely for their own generation and were not reported in scripture. Scripture identifies only 55 prophets of Israel.

So who are that 1200000 prophets then, if david and soloman are not included?

site is jewfaq.org and then under the titel prophets

And if they were no prophets in judaism ,are there important persons in judaism, and are they in connection with God..? Do they get messages from God and stuff like that, are they beloved persons by God?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
And if they were no prophets in judaism ,are there important persons in judaism, and are they in connection with God..? Do they get messages from God and stuff like that, are they beloved persons by God?
David was loved by God for his humility, and Solomon his son was considered a famously wise man in the Biblical narrative.
both of them also erred.

Levite

Higher and Higher
A site give me this information.

The Talmud teaches that there were hundreds of thousands of prophets: twice as many as the number of people who left Egypt, which was 600,000. But most of the prophets conveyed messages that were intended solely for their own generation and were not reported in scripture. Scripture identifies only 55 prophets of Israel.

So who are that 1200000 prophets then, if david and soloman are not included?

site is jewfaq.org and then under the titel prophets

First of all, it is important to understand that when the Talmud teaches that, it is a midrash-- a rabbinic parable. It is not necessarily meant to be taken as literal truth. The key information to be gleaned from this midrash is not the number of prophets, but the fact that most prophets carried messages intended only for their own generation, and often not all those in that generation, and the fact that the age of prophecy is over. It ended some time around Ezra and Nehemiah.

There were once many prophets, it is taught, but now there are no more, nor will there be more until the messiah comes. We don't know who most of them were, and we don't consider it in any way important that we find out.

A prophet (navi) is someone given a message by God for a community, or for a nation, or occasionally for a great leader. But one can speak to God, and even hear God, and yet not be a prophet: we are taught all people have such potential. And one can be a great and righteous person, with considerable spiritual prowess, and not be a prophet.

alishan

ah ok thanks

and do judaism think that God send in the history some prophet to place different from Israel like China , indian american, etc...

levite but you told me that you taught that jesus as and Mohamed sws were Prophet but didn't understand properly the message of God. but how can they if the period of prophet in judaism ended with ezra and nehemia?

thanks

Tamar

I am Jewish.
ah ok thanks

and do judaism think that God send in the history some prophet to place different from Israel like China , indian american, etc...

levite but you told me that you taught that jesus as and Mohamed sws were Prophet but didn't understand properly the message of God. but how can they if the period of prophet in judaism ended with ezra and nehemia?

thanks

Jesus and Muhammad are not prophets. The prophets came out the ancient near east.

Here are the prophets:

The Talmud (Megillah 14a) says that there had been twice as many prophets as the number of people who left Egypt (2,600,000), but only those whose messages were for future generations were recorded. This count was 48 male and 7 female Prophets.
The Talmud lists the 7 females as:

1. Sarah

2. Miriam

3. Devorah

4. Hannah (mother of Shmuel)

5. Avigail (who became a wife of David Hamelech)

6. Huldah (from the time of Yirmiyahu)

7. Esther

One compilation of the male prophets (based on Seder Olam) lists the following:

1. Avraham (Abraham)

2. Yitzchak (Isaac)

3. Yaakov (Jacob)

4. Moshe (Moses)

5. Aharon (Aaron)

6. Yehoshuah (Joshua)

7. Pinchas

8. Elkanah (father of Shmuel)

9. Eli

10. Shmuel (Samuel)

11. Gad

12. Nosson

13. David Hamelech (King David)

14. Shlomo Hamelech (King Soloman)

15. Aidoin the Golah

16. Micha Ben Yamla in the time of Achav

17. Ovadiah

18. Achiah Hashiloni

19. Yehu Ben Hanani in the time of Asah

20. Azaryah Ben Oded in the time of Yehoshaphat from Divrei Hayamim

21. Haziel from Bnei Masni

22. Eliezer his cousin

23. Morishah

24. Hoshea

25. Amos in the time of Yeravam Ben Yoash

26. Micha in the time of Yosam

27. Eliyahu (Elijah)

28. Elisha

29. Yonah Ben Amitai

30. Yeshayah in the time of Menashe in the time of Yoshea

31. Yoel (Joel)

32. Nachum

Judaism 101: Prophets and Prophecy

JewishEncyclopedia.com - PROPHETS AND PROPHECY.

Prophets, Jewish

Prophets (Nevi'im) - My Jewish Learning

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
ah ok thanks

thanks

The time of prophecy ended with Ezra and Nechemiya, And it was said to be so before Jesus and Muhammed even came to be.
So they cannot be prophets.

Levite

Higher and Higher
ah ok thanks

thanks

I said that I personally was willing to entertain belief that Jesus and Muhammad might have been given some kind of prophetic teachings for non-Jews. That has nothing to do with what is a normative Jewish belief. And even I am not certain that I do believe such a thing-- only that I personally am willing to entertain the idea, and I have met and heard of some other Jews who are also willing to do so. If the idea were true, it would mean that when we say the age of prophecy ended with Ezra and Nechemiah, that would be referring only to prophecies applicable to us Jews, not those applicable to non-Jews.

But I would never claim that such an idea is a mainstream, normative, or traditionally acceptable belief in Judaism.

And like I said, I am only open to considering the idea. I am not stating with 100% surety that I believe it.

alishan

ok

so your idea is personnal and we can say that 99,9% of jew autorities dont beleave it

for the judaism the list of the prophet is only in israel and torah

a prophet can not be foreigner like chinese or indian america

can he? thanks