• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being trans is a spiritual gift

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Tagging @JustGeorge. @Guitar's Cry @PoetPhilosopher. @Rachel Rugelach @Debater Slayer @The Hammer and @Shadow Wolf

So I thought I'd write about my experiences being trans and how i view it as a spiritual gift rather then a curse. Slight disclaimer- Im nonbinary my experiences would be different from binary trans folk. Im also a pagan. So anyway I've felt that i was neither man nor woman since I was 7 years old. My earliest memories involve me being trans. I however did not have words to express it till I was 12 and was not out offline until I was 14. I grew up Christian. My spiritual beliefs regarding trans folk would not happen until later when I became a pagan. Beliefs that I still hold onto.

So why do I view being trans as a gift? Well...as someone who was raised as a woman but is mistaken for a man on occasion and doesn't identify as either, I am in a unique spot. I see how society treats both men and women. Since i experienced it myself. I also have struggles that are typical for both genders- I know what periods are like, and I know about how women are socialized to fear sexual assault. But I also know how men aren't allowed as much freedom to express emotions, how they can be viewed as more threatening, among other things. And i know what it's like being in the middle as a nonbinary person never being truly understood by most people, and having to find your place as someone in a binary society but not fitting the norm. Im at a unique point where I can help and understand gender roles and views in ways that a cisgender person just wouldnt get.

Questioning norms and causing folk to question them is Divine. And causing folk to question their understanding if gender, gender roles, and such is Divine. To show our flaws in society is again Divine. It's gift. Causing folk to question and help bring about change just by existing.

Another thing is in my form of paganism, fluidity is celebrated. Im not talking about just gender but in general fluidity. Adapting, accepting change within. By embracing my gender identity instead of running from it the changes in masculinity and femminity I'm embracing fluidity. Going with the flow within.

One other thing is due to understanding femininity and masculinity and embracing it in myself I find it easier to embrace and work with the Divine Feminine and Divine Masculine in ritual. I find it has a unique place in witchcraft and sometimes mixing gender expression can make certain spells work easier.

Also...not all gods are binary. Loki one the gods i worship his gender shifts in mythology. I associate Loki with sexuality and gender identities and expressions outside what is considered mainstream. I feel by embracing my identity outside what is considered the norm it makes me closer to Loki and likely makes her proud. And yes I just mixed up Loki's pronouns. That was on purpose. Since he is a trickster I like to mix up her pronouns because i think they would approve of the confusion and chaos that causes talking about him.

Finally I accept myself. Part of my spirituality is self acceptance is Divine. Accepting who you are and not hiding it is amazing. It is freeing and in a way very spiritual. Im much happier since coming out as nonbinary and trans. Im much happier going on hormones and transitioning. Tomorrow I'll have an appointment to check my health because i wouldve been on T for 3 months. I hope it goes well as Im very happy on T much happier then I was before starting it.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Tagging @JustGeorge. @Guitar's Cry @PoetPhilosopher. @Rachel Rugelach @Debater Slayer @The Hammer and @Shadow Wolf

So I thought I'd write about my experiences being trans and how i view it as a spiritual gift rather then a curse. Slight disclaimer- Im nonbinary my experiences would be different from binary trans folk. Im also a pagan. So anyway I've felt that i was neither man nor woman since I was 7 years old. My earliest memories involve me being trans. I however did not have words to express it till I was 12 and was not out offline until I was 14. I grew up Christian. My spiritual beliefs regarding trans folk would not happen until later when I became a pagan. Beliefs that I still hold onto.

So why do I view being trans as a gift? Well...as someone who was raised as a woman but is mistaken for a man on occasion and doesn't identify as either, I am in a unique spot. I see how society treats both men and women. Since i experienced it myself. I also have struggles that are typical for both genders- I know what periods are like, and I know about how women are socialized to fear sexual assault. But I also know how men aren't allowed as much freedom to express emotions, how they can be viewed as more threatening, among other things. And i know what it's like being in the middle as a nonbinary person never being truly understood by most people, and having to find your place as someone in a binary society but not fitting the norm. Im at a unique point where I can help and understand gender roles and views in ways that a cisgender person just wouldnt get.

Questioning norms and causing folk to question them is Divine. And causing folk to question their understanding if gender, gender roles, and such is Divine. To show our flaws in society is again Divine. It's gift. Causing folk to question and help bring about change just by existing.

Another thing is in my form of paganism, fluidity is celebrated. Im not talking about just gender but in general fluidity. Adapting, accepting change within. By embracing my gender identity instead of running from it the changes in masculinity and femminity I'm embracing fluidity. Going with the flow within.

One other thing is due to understanding femininity and masculinity and embracing it in myself I find it easier to embrace and work with the Divine Feminine and Divine Masculine in ritual. I find it has a unique place in witchcraft and sometimes mixing gender expression can make certain spells work easier.

Also...not all gods are binary. Loki one the gods i worship his gender shifts in mythology. I associate Loki with sexuality and gender identities and expressions outside what is considered mainstream. I feel by embracing my identity outside what is considered the norm it makes me closer to Loki and likely makes her proud. And yes I just mixed up Loki's pronouns. That was on purpose. Since he is a trickster I like to mix up her pronouns because i think they would approve of the confusion and chaos that causes talking about him.

Finally I accept myself. Part of my spirituality is self acceptance is Divine. Accepting who you are and not hiding it is amazing. It is freeing and in a way very spiritual. Im much happier since coming out as nonbinary and trans. Im much happier going on hormones and transitioning. Tomorrow I'll have an appointment to check my health because i wouldve been on T for 3 months. I hope it goes well as Im very happy on T much happier then I was before starting it.

Thank you for sharing! May you find even more peace and joy on your path.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So I thought I'd write about my experiences being trans and how i view it as a spiritual gift rather then a curse.
I certainly don't see it as a "curse". :)

Obviously, I wouldn't agree as per my signature.. but do hope you have a great journey and definitely, as per my signature, I would say the God loves you, Jesus loves you and i do too in the love of Christ.

Thank you very much for sharing... it speaks of strength on your part. :)

VoidCat

I certainly don't see it as a "curse
Some view it as a curse- as someone being stuck in the wrong body.

I don't view my body as wrong. It's a gift I love my body. It's my temple to do with as i please. Sometimes I feel gender dysphoria. Some things i dont like about it. But its still my body. Sure im going on hormones to change it. And those changes have made me happier. But i didn't do it because I felt I was in the wrong body. I did it because i felt going on hormones would make me happier and relieve gender dysphoria. And it has on both counts.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't view my body as wrong. It's a gift I love my body. It's my temple to do with as i please. Sometimes I feel gender dysphoria. Some things i dont like about it. But its still my body. Sure im going on hormones to change it. And those changes have made me happier. But i didn't do it because I felt I was in the wrong body. I did it because i felt going on hormones would make me happier and relieve gender dysphoria. And it has on both counts.
Thanks for pointing this out. I've heard some trans folks say they've been put in the wrong body; its interesting to hear another take.

VoidCat

Thanks for pointing this out. I've heard some trans folks say they've been put in the wrong body; its interesting to hear another take.
I have hated my body at times to the point of almost being suicidal. Sometimes even avoiding showering. But my body is still mine. It's not the wrong body. I can change it through hormones and surgery and even getting tattoos. But it's still my body. Why must I hate it to be considered trans? Why can't I embrace it and love my body? I like stuff about my body and I dont see why i must feel im in the wrong one.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I have hated my body at times to the point of almost being suicidal. Sometimes even avoiding showering. But my body is still mine. It's not the wrong body. I can change it through hormones and surgery and even getting tattoos. But it's still my body. Why must I hate it to be considered trans? Why can't I embrace it and love my body? I like stuff about my body and I dont see why i must feel im in the wrong one.
I'm glad you don't hate your body, and have learned to love it. :)

VoidCat

I'm glad you don't hate your body, and have learned to love it. :)
I do get why some transfolk feel they are in the wrong body. Maybe the reason i dont is because of the fact my view of gender isn't black and white and ain't binary. Maybe because I've learned a lot about the body positivity movement. Maybe it's because i have such a positive view of being trans and viewing it as being stuck wouldn't line up with that. I don't know. I do know gender euphoria to me is more important then dysphoria in identifying as transgender. Some folk disagree and would rather view it through defining transfolk through dysphoria. But I find that to be a sad way of looking at things.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I do get why some transfolk feel they are in the wrong body. Maybe the reason i dont is because of the fact my view of gender isn't black and white and ain't binary. Maybe because I've learned a lot about the body positivity movement. Maybe it's because i have such a positive view of being trans and viewing it as being stuck wouldn't line up with that. I don't know. I do know gender euphoria to me is more important then dysphoria in identifying as transgender. Some folk disagree and would rather view it through defining transfolk through dysphoria. But I find that to be a sad way of looking at things.
I'm not trans(though there was a period in my 20s where I considered it), but I often feel like I'm in the wrong body, regardless. Its an obnoxious feeling.

Can you further elaborate on 'gender euphoria'?

VoidCat

I'm not trans(though there was a period in my 20s where I considered it), but I often feel like I'm in the wrong body, regardless. Its an obnoxious feeling.

Stuff that affirms your gender identity and makes you happy. Like for me the fact im growing facial hair is very euphoric to me. So is being called a dude. And my chosen name Ray. It affirms my identity and makes me happy.

VoidCat

I gave up on considering myself "trans" (for now at least) and just consider myself Gender Fluid, as part of defying gender norms. But, I'd say you've found a unique way of doing it while identifying as trans. More power to you.
Im also genderfluid altho im never a man or woman.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I see how society treats both men and women. Since i experienced it myself. I also have struggles that are typical for both genders- I know what periods are like, and I know about how women are socialized to fear sexual assault. But I also know how men aren't allowed as much freedom to express emotions, how they can be viewed as more threatening, among other things. And i know what it's like being in the middle as a nonbinary person never being truly understood by most people, and having to find your place as someone in a binary society but not fitting the norm. Im at a unique point where I can help and understand gender roles and views in ways that a cisgender person just wouldnt get.
Those things are some things I struggled with as I struggled to accept myself. Women are treated differently, often poorly, thought to be weaker, less capable and existing for sexual gratification, and women have periods.
But I think with transitioning it was easier to accept those things and deal with those things than things that are common for a guy. Even the pseudo-periods are better than my brain being powered by testosterone, and learning of a literal male gaze that guys use to look at women (including stopping their car at a red light to get a better look at me, which NEVER happened to me as a guy) seems an "appropriate struggle" (if that makes sense) rather having to contend with the downsides of being a guy.
By the way, once you started transitioning around Christmas time did people start telling you Merry Christmas in odd, random and unusual ways like they didn't before? I can't help but wonder if they do that to hear me talk to try figure out what I am.

VoidCat

By the way, once you started transitioning around Christmas time did people start telling you Merry Christmas in odd, random and unusual ways like they didn't before? I can't help but wonder if they do that to hear me talk to try figure out what I am.
I haven't noticed.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Carving a path for yourself, in terms of metaphor, clothing choices, gender, or appearance, in which you can look at yourself and be proud, or give yourself a nod of approval (even if a metaphorical one).

I'd say all this is in the relation to gender, but sometimes, it gets pretty personal or even spiritual, too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
That's where I'm at. I hate being trans and wish I could just be a cis woman, much in the same way I wish I could have been born with straight shins are at least gotten them straightened to save me all the problems they've gave me with my knees. I don't like having to take meds just so I don't have to see a straight up dude in the mirror, I don't like the name and ID card confusions, amd I wish I could just leave the whole gender thing alone and be blissfully ignorant like most people.

VoidCat

That's where I'm at. I hate being trans and wish I could just be a cis woman, much in the same way I wish I could have been born with straight shins are at least gotten them straightened to save me all the problems they've gave me with my knees. I don't like having to take meds just so I don't have to see a straight up dude in the mirror, I don't like the name and ID card confusions, amd I wish I could just leave the whole gender thing alone and be blissfully ignorant like most people.
(Hugs) I get that. I do.

Being trans does have it downsides