• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beauty In Evolution?

Flappycat

Listen, I don't know if anyone really noticed my point in the last post, so I'm going to try again. Evasion of predators and finding of food are not the only selective factors in the animal kingdom. Sometimes they can even have sprung from quirks of the species. For example, female peacocks are mesmerized by the patterns in the displays of male peacocks. Parrots are, for one reason or another, drawn to brightly-colored objects. A vulture's excrement is actually a chemical adaptation used to wash carrion remains from itself. Many horned herdbeasts actually have little use for their towel racks other than competition for dominance within the herd. Honey guides, while useful to humans, don't find it unhandy that they can get other beasts to brave stinging insects for them. A zebra's stripes, while loud and noticable, actually cause a great deal of confusion for poor-sighted predators, particularly when they congregate in large numbers.

Natural selection can be complicated.

Also, I'd like to point out that evolution is not as much a theory as it is a whole theoretical paradigm. The scientists have long since moved from confirming the basics to examining the particulars. Read any scientific journal.

Flappycat

painted wolf said:
exactly flappycat.

nature works in far more subtle and complicated ways than we often care to admit.

wa:do
I'd say something more like "meandering, convoluted, and unplanned," but the result is similar.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Flappycat said:
Listen, I don't know if anyone really noticed my point in the last post, so I'm going to try again. Evasion of predators and finding of food are not the only selective factors in the animal kingdom. Sometimes they can even have sprung from quirks of the species. For example, female peacocks are mesmerized by the patterns in the displays of male peacocks. Parrots are, for one reason or another, drawn to brightly-colored objects. A vulture's excrement is actually a chemical adaptation used to wash carrion remains from itself. Many horned herdbeasts actually have little use for their towel racks other than competition for dominance within the herd. Honey guides, while useful to humans, don't find it unhandy that they can get other beasts to brave stinging insects for them. A zebra's stripes, while loud and noticable, actually cause a great deal of confusion for poor-sighted predators, particularly when they congregate in large numbers.

Also, I'd like to point out that evolution is not as much a theory as it is a whole theoretical paradigm. The scientists have long since moved from confirming the basics to examining the particulars. Read any scientific journal.
I have no doubt that you are right (about natural selection), and I agree about your comment on evolution; very interesting post.:)

lousyskater

Flappycat said:

indeed. evolution isn't as simple as it has been made out to be. it's rather complicated(especially when you get into the genetics part of it, a lot of people have trouble understanding the concept of recessive and dominant genes and how they factor into offspring) and generally, people don't like complicated things that cant be explained in a short amount of time, so they tend to lean towards less complex ideas/theories. why believe in something as complicated as evolution when you can just say "god did it."?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well honestly in the world of TV if it can't fit in a thirty second news bite most people don't want to listen...:bonk:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
painted wolf said:
well honestly in the world of TV if it can't fit in a thirty second news bite most people don't want to listen...:bonk:

That applies to many things other then just TV. Instant satisfaction.....gotta give it to the marketing and sales department.

~Victor

Fatmop

What's the matter with instant gratification?
Hey, if I can't get this economics degree right now, it isn't worth waiting 4 freaking years!!!

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Fatmop said:
What's the matter with instant gratification?
Hey, if I can't get this economics degree right now, it isn't worth waiting 4 freaking years!!!
Nothing, but my cup of pleasure needs constant filling. :D

~Victor