• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beauty In Evolution?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I just got back from looking at some amazing exotic birds that were simply beautiful. As I stared at them I said to myself "How in the world do those colors on that bird serve as any purpose for survival?". There were several birds but one in particular had every color in the rainbow and they were bright (I can't remember the name. Too busy starring). If anything, it would seem that bird would stand out and be eaten. And if your going to give me crap about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Save your precious nails for another post. I think most people would look at those birds and say "wow, they are beautiful". It seems if survival was the main concern then we would see some ugly birds with a sprinkle of beauty. Only enough to survive...no more...no less.

~Victor

The Black Whirlwind

i have always understood that the beauty of the feathers on the male bird was used to attract a mate, and were also used in mating rituals.

Quiddity

TheJedi said:
i have always understood that the beauty of the feathers on the male bird was used to attract a mate, and were also used in mating rituals.
I've heard that too. But what purpose would it serve with a hungry animal?
I'd rather be an ugly virgin bird and stay alive, then a dead pimp bird....:D

~Victor

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Feathers- they aren't just for wearing in your hair! :D

I can only imagine that these critters wouldn't have these beautiful feathers if it actually made them more noticable to predators. I would think that'd go for both creationism and evolution.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Beautiful parrots, like the female Eclectus with its bright red and deep purple coloration, have evolved such to protect themselves. Such colors hide them when they're in a carved out nest in a tree and caring for chicks while the male is off finding food. Similarly, the male Eclectus' bright green plumage is good for hiding in foliage.

That's just one example :) Are there any bird species in particular you had in mind that you saw and wanted to talk about?

Quiddity

FeathersinHair said:
Feathers- they aren't just for wearing in your hair! :D

I can only imagine that these critters wouldn't have these beautiful feathers if it actually made them more noticable to predators. I would think that'd go for both creationism and evolution.
Good point. But there lies a difference. Let's see how this unfolds.

~Victor

standing_on_one_foot

Victor said:
I'd rather be an ugly virgin bird and stay alive, then a dead pimp bird....:D

~Victor
Ah, but you wouldn't have any offspring, while dead pimp bird would have lots. So guess who's genes get passed on? It's not about living longest, it's about producing offspring that will be able to pass on the genes. One strategy is to mate as often as possible, so being attractive would help.

meogi

Also remember that not all things see or analyze as we do. But that's a silly point, without specific birds/predators to compare.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Very true, meogi. Flowers that are dull white and pale yellow to our eyes are like a neon flashing sign to a bee's eyes because of ultraviolet light.

matey

If you wanna see some really impressive birds, look up bower birds, they have mind-boggling nests. I saw a nature program on them and was absolutely amazed.

It's all about gettin' a mate.

Steve

Victor said:
I just got back from looking at some amazing exotic birds that were simply beautiful. As I stared at them I said to myself "How in the world do those colors on that bird serve as any purpose for survival?". There were several birds but one in particular had every color in the rainbow and they were bright (I can't remember the name. Too busy starring). If anything, it would seem that bird would stand out and be eaten. And if your going to give me crap about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Save your precious nails for another post. I think most people would look at those birds and say "wow, they are beautiful". It seems if survival was the main concern then we would see some ugly birds with a sprinkle of beauty. Only enough to survive...no more...no less.

~Victor
I like your post :)

What you have stated to me is just another way of saying - just look around, Its obvious their is a God. Yet many call his artwork the product of random chance, it surely is an offence to Him.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20

God is Awsome! It really is simple to belive their is a intelligent creative force behind what we see. None of us will have an excuse if we stand befor God and have previously never actually considered that he exists.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Victor said:

~Victor
I very much agree with your post; but you don't even have to look at birds - everything that is part of nature is beautiful, and to my mind, as it is obvioully yours, a testament to the sheer magnificence of God's unbelieveable plan. To manage creation is incredible enough; to give that creation the potential to evolve in the ways it has done is even more incredible.:)

Cynic

Victor said:

~Victor
I agree with you Victor.
And why do peacocks have long, elegant tails, which do not improve survivability but hampers it? It's significant for sexual selection. Exhibitionism is an attraction mechanism. I'm not sure, but my guess is that certain birds evolved in such a way in areas where there were few predators, or where they were not very susceptibleto being hunted.

This Shockwave application will explain the concept:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/sex/guppy/index.html

matey

Here are some bower bird nests for those who haven't seen them. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bowerbirds/

darw_bower.jpg

trai_bowerwbird.jpg
[size=+1][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-Serif]
darw_gwcomparison.jpg
[/font]

Ceridwen018

Yes, the colorful feathers on male birds serve to attract mates. Yes, these colorful feathers do put males in more danger, (which is why the females who must stay stationary with their nests are dull in color so they can easily blend in).

Someone earlier put it best: "Its not how long you live, but how many offspring you leave behind." Even though male birds are more colorful than their female counterparts, they do not have a conspicuously higher mortality rate. This is because male birds do not often participate in the majority of the responsibility of hatching the eggs and caring for the young, so they can fly away from predators whereas the female is tied to the nest.

You will notice in that species of birds where the male does take part in the "child-rearing", the male is either identical to the female or only modestly colored.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I guess I'm not really sure how this is proof of one thing or another.

If you believe in evolution, there are many facts backing it up that- genetically- you wanna have the prettiest feathers possible.

If you believe in creationism, it's simply a matter of looking at the birds and thinking "these things are so beautiful that something must have had a hand in making them."

If you waffle between one and the other, like me, you can actually think both. It's lovely, how these things work out. :)

JerryL

I'd rather be an ugly virgin bird and stay alive, then a dead pimp bird....
Virgin birds don't propigate. No decendants = deselected.

What preditor are you cocerned about?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
I guess I'm not really sure how this is proof of one thing or another.

If you believe in evolution, there are many facts backing it up that- genetically- you wanna have the prettiest feathers possible.

If you believe in creationism, it's simply a matter of looking at the birds and thinking "these things are so beautiful that something must have had a hand in making them."

If you waffle between one and the other, like me, you can actually think both. It's lovely, how these things work out. :)
Too right, Feathers - I waffle between the two as well; it may be cheating, but as you say, it is lovely how things work out. Ever looked at the incredible beauty and intricacy of a passion fruit flower? I find it hard to believe that such beauty came out of evolution and happenstance...:)

Ceridwen018 said:
Yes, the colorful feathers on male birds serve to attract mates. Yes, these colorful feathers do put males in more danger, (which is why the females who must stay stationary with their nests are dull in color so they can easily blend in).

Someone earlier put it best: "Its not how long you live, but how many offspring you leave behind." Even though male birds are more colorful than their female counterparts, they do not have a conspicuously higher mortality rate. This is because male birds do not often participate in the majority of the responsibility of hatching the eggs and caring for the young, so they can fly away from predators whereas the female is tied to the nest.

You will notice in that species of birds where the male does take part in the "child-rearing", the male is either identical to the female or only modestly colored.[/QUOTE

heh, I had never realized why the male was beautiful, and the female plain - as opposed to humans - thanks for the explanation.:)