• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beauty Contests

Circle_One

Ormiston said:
Athletes and some musicians have shorter life-spans than most people. I'd say athletics are marketed even more aggressively. It's probably much more dangerous to let your children obsess over a football scholarship too. I'm not saying what's right or wrong. I don't even like beauty pageants. I'm just saying they should be allowed.

Personally, I don't think any obsessive behavior over things like this to be heathly. It can all be harmful, of course. Obsessing over athletics of any kind can lead to wanting to be better, stronger, which can lead to steroids and steroid abuse, etc. But I wasn't only talking about the people involved in the pageants, but rather, the impressionable young girls who watch them and then start to obsess over their appearance as a result (just as those who watch MTV or read magazines and see their favorite pop princess getting breast implants and suddenly feel their chest size isn't big enough, and so on).

I'm not saying beauty pageants like Miss America shouldn't be allowed or should be banned, (though kiddie pageants are another story), I was just opening up for debate the idea of the possible ramifications these pageants have on society's youth.

Circle_One

Atheist_Dave said:
I can't see the attraction to be honest, even though I am gay,I can see that the women in these things are not my cup of tea at all. They are so fake, and they encourage girls and women to obsess about appearence, they make it out to be the most important attribute to have. I find more beauty in one wrinkle on a mature womans brow, than in all those women put together. Its probably just my taste though, I like people to be real, and imperfect.

I completely agree. It's our imperfections that make us unique and it's our own uniqueness-es that make us beautiful and the absolute perfect us that wecan be.

Ormiston

Circle_One said:
I'm not saying beauty pageants like Miss America shouldn't be allowed or should be banned, (though kiddie pageants are another story), I was just opening up for debate the idea of the possible ramifications these pageants have on society's youth.

I guess I just see some good in taking active interest in events and competitions and don't see enough "bad" to take away from this. Being "beautiful" according to the status quo is important today just as it has been always. Everyone naturally measures themselves against what's popular or attractive and most of us fall short. It's just a part of growing as a person.

As far as the ramifications go, I'd think it would be safe to assume that if Kiddie Pageants aren't fit for children then neither would adult pageants. Maybe the children shouldn't be watching them. Then we don't have to worry.

Pah

Uber all member
Pah said:
I agree with all the "anti-pagent" comments made here. I don't watch any of them.

But my real anger is reserved for the kiddie-pagents.
Having said that, I recognize that in the enterainment industry, there is competition for the available roles. Beauty pagents give exposure at an early stage, adult or child.

I don't have a solution to that facet of pagents.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ormiston said:
Is it vain to exercise or work-out? I don't see it.
If you think it stops there, you are sadly mistaken. Lots of these beauties undergo plastic surgery and do FAR more than just work out.

Ormiston said:
I leave Kiddie Pageants up to the kids' parents. They are the ones who make decisions for the children and, if pageants are vain, they have the right to encourage vanity in their children. Nothing illegal with that (or uncommon).
Please... these are SCAMS. First, you pay an entrance fee which can be anywhere from $20 to $1000. Then there are NO CAMERAS allowed. The only way to get a picture of your little princess on stage is to BUY their package taken by their staff photographer. My next door neighbor went through this with his little girl... TWICE. The first one was devastating for him and his girl. They did not realise what a scam it was until they tried to get a picture and paid over $1500 to get them. The next time, he was bragging how he finally found a real pageant and that the person who recruited his little girl thought SHE was going to win. Again, the scam artists carefully hid all of the fees until it was too late. They have no pictures of that show. But C has lots of painful memories that will take her a lifetime to forget.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Pah said:
Having said that, I recognize that in the enterainment industry, there is competition for the available roles. Beauty pagents give exposure at an early stage, adult or child.

I don't have a solution to that facet of pagents.
I don't think that this is a legitimate "facet" of these attrocities. I know of NO child star that got there through such a pageant. They got there through the "good ol' boy" network... a friend of a friend of an acquaintance. SOME TIMES a particular show will hold tryouts (Mickey Mouse Club, Nikolodeon), but there are no entrance fees here.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Atheist_Dave said:
I can't see the attraction to be honest, even though I am gay,I can see that the women in these things are not my cup of tea at all. They are so fake, and they encourage girls and women to obsess about appearence, they make it out to be the most important attribute to have. I find more beauty in one wrinkle on a mature womans brow, than in all those women put together. Its probably just my taste though, I like people to be real, and imperfect.

here here! Good point.:)

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
I don't think that this is a legitimate "facet" of these attrocities. I know of NO child star that got there through such a pageant. They got there through the "good ol' boy" network... a friend of a friend of an acquaintance. SOME TIMES a particular show will hold tryouts (Mickey Mouse Club, Nikolodeon), but there are no entrance fees here.
It goes to the "folder" of credentials much the same as a "head shot".