• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be good to all, no matter faith or no faith

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What can we do to show more respect and kindness toward each other?

I don't think that that is much of an issue for people with empathy and a sense of community. Such people are rarely disrespectful or unkind without cause. The problem might be a paucity of these qualities in any given society. Selfishness is an epidemic in the States now. I don't think you can make selfish people kind or respectful.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There are different kind of belief:) the one i have is the spiritual belief

Ha! This is another great example. You personally might not think this, but most religious people think that spirituality is only for the religious. I disagree, I think of myself as a very spiritual person, and for the most part I don't like religion.

So spirituality is another idea that religions have tried to claim for themselves, when in fact anyone can be spiritual without the need for religion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ha! This is another great example. You personally might not think this, but most religious people think that spirituality is only for the religious. I disagree, I think of myself as a very spiritual person, and for the most part I don't like religion.

So spirituality is another idea that religions have tried to claim for themselves, when in fact anyone can be spiritual without the need for religion.
Honestly spiritual belief is for everyone, the different is the way we use it and practice it.

I know for sure that my belief and understanding is far from wise enough or deep enough.

Goldemar

A queer sort

Out of interest, how do you as an avowed secular humanist define the spirituality that is also important to you?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Are we as human beings not supposed to be good to our fellow human beings?

Disagreement will always be there, especially between believers and non-believers. But why are we so mean to each others?

Are we not all brothers and sisters?

Question: What can we do to show more respect and kindness toward each other?
naive at best. some people aren't going to behave even knowing there are penalties, knowing that they could be agreeable.

there are service to self types who will go to the end of the trail find there is no way to go beyond and have to retrace their steps. some have to learn the hard way that believing doesn't necessarily align with reality

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Honestly spiritual belief is for everyone, the different is the way we use it and practice it.

I know for sure that my belief and understanding is far from wise enough or deep enough.

people in prison and psych wards have beliefs too. they didn't work out very well for them

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
naive at best. some people aren't going to behave even knowing there are penalties, knowing that they could be agreeable.

there are service to self types who will go to the end of the trail find there is no way to go beyond and have to retrace their steps. some have to learn the hard way that believing doesn't necessarily align with reality
As long i can have a heart filled with love and kindness i am ok to be called naive. People will disagree with the path and that is just a part of it all. :)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Out of interest, how do you as an avowed secular humanist define the spirituality that is also important to you?

Yeah, good question! Mainly I would say important things that are not material. Things like values, morals, ethics, love, empathy, charity and so on.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
As long i can have a heart filled with love and kindness i am ok to be called naive. People will disagree with the path and that is just a part of it all. :)
well thats all dreamy and wonderful but reality is a bit more than dreamy beliefs. the road to hell is paved with a detour sign that someone tells us to take instead the one under destruction

Heyo

Veteran Member
Are we as human beings not supposed to be good to our fellow human beings?

Disagreement will always be there, especially between believers and non-believers. But why are we so mean to each others?

Are we not all brothers and sisters?

Question: What can we do to show more respect and kindness toward each other?
See my signature.
I always assume my interlocutor to be of intelligence and integrity - until proven false.
I try not to take attacks against my points as attacks against me.
I think that many disagreements are due to incomplete information. Education is a great way of furthering understanding.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Not sure what that's supposed to mean?
everyone has a belief system. doesn't mean it's a positive one or leads to a happy ever after. you keep espousing beliefs

again there are the service to self types who chose their beliefs and the service to all as self type that has spiritually and logically understood the laws enough to recognize, for every action there is an opposite but equal reaction. basically in psychology it's called mirroring and doesn't have to do so much with belief

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
See my signature.
I always assume my interlocutor to be of intelligence and integrity - until proven false.
I try not to take attacks against my points as attacks against me.
I think that many disagreements are due to incomplete information. Education is a great way of furthering understanding.
Some take the academical education, others go the religious/spiritual education path.

Both are of value

Goldemar

A queer sort
Yeah, good question! Mainly I would say important things that are not material. Things like values, morals, ethics, love, empathy, charity and so on.

Okay, I guess my immediate reaction would be why use the term 'spiritual' to refer to these things, rather than, say, 'emotional' or 'psychological' or some other word? Spiritual to me is quite a loaded term which it seems to me brings all sorts of baggage associated with the notion of 'spirits', 'souls', and the like.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I don't think that that is much of an issue for people with empathy and a sense of community. Such people are rarely disrespectful or unkind without cause. The problem might be a paucity of these qualities in any given society. Selfishness is an epidemic in the States now. I don't think you can make selfish people kind or respectful.
you are correct. the service to self type isn't going to aspire to look at how their behavior isn't of service to other. they are looking at power and control. grabbing as many resources as possible and using as many loopholes to get them

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Okay, I guess my immediate reaction would be why use the term 'spiritual' to refer to these things, rather than, say, 'emotional' or 'psychological' or some other word? Spiritual to me is quite a loaded term which it seems to me brings all sorts of baggage associated with the notion of 'spirits', 'souls', and the like.
it's a bias and about ego. nothing loads it but the person reacting to it. its just a word. means nothing more than mental, or concerning the mind