• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batley Grammar School - Compensation for the suspended teacher?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Using the Charlie Hedbo cartoon to 'educate' a bunch of kids was insensitive, provocative, and, first and foremost, wholly unnecessary. So, yes, you should try to avoid ugly slights when reasonably possible, irrespective of the group that you seem so intent upon insulting.
It's history. The Hebdo cartoon takes aim at extremists and shows us we have to stand up for our rights and values because their are violent people killing us over them. We can cower in fear and lose our rights to a bunch of people with paper-thin skin (remember, most Muslims aren't becoming violently offended over this and demanding we must cater to their sensitivities).
Bullies should never be catered to. If they get what they want through bullying they will keep it up to get more. And bullies are what extremists are.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Islamaphobes of the world unite!
I've been called worse.
The left is wrong on Islam. The right is wrong on Muslims.— Ali Rizvi
An atheist Muslim on what the left and right get wrong about Islam
Getting It Wrong About Islam: Check Your Secular Privilege, Liberal America
Ex-Muslim minister says liberal or conservative, Americans are wrong on Islam
Using the Charlie Hedbo cartoon to 'educate' a bunch of kids was insensitive, provocative, and, first and foremost, wholly unnecessary. So, yes, you should try to avoid ugly slights when reasonably possible, irrespective of the group that you seem so intent upon insulting.
Needless censorship at whims of extremists amd bullies is the ugly slight. Such types should never be catered to, and they should never be given that proverbial inch because they will take a mile.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Actually it was a perfect example since the reactions to his lesson proved the teacher to be right.

As a follower of a religion one has to follow certain rules. For example it is wrong for a Muslim to draw Mohammad. But they have no business getting angry if others portray him in ways that they do not like. Perhaps if it is not an illustration you will be able to understand.

Muslims are not supposed to eat pork. But they cannot get offended if others eat pork. It would be wrong to force a Muslim to eat pork just as it would be wrong to force them to draw Muhammad, but if they see an image of Muhammad that someone else drew it is really none of their business.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What some of these posters ignore is that this was supposed to be a religious studies class, in a school full of muslims. One might think a bit of sensitivity in order.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's a great idea. There's actually more than Muhammad who isn't supposed to be portrayed.
It is long past time religious people learn and accept they cannot expect others to conform to something they don't believe in, just as it is wrong of them to expect we face consequences for violating something we do not believe in.
No doubt you would happily march into a kosher butcher, eating a prawn sandwich, too. :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What some of these posters ignore is that this was supposed to be a religious studies class, in a school full of muslims. One might think a bit of sensitivity in order.

And a frank reminder that they are not sitting in a Muslim school.

Why is a character portrait even bothersome in the first place? What? Like Mohammed will get his soul sucked into the cartoons or something like some genie facing a magic bottle with black hole qualities?

Maybe a private Muslim school would better accommodate, similar to Christian parochial schools as an alternative.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No doubt you would happily march into a kosher butcher, eating a prawn sandwich, too. :D
Depends. I doubt I'd walk into one restaurant with food from another. I definitely wouldn't do it to walk in and go "yum, this non kosher food is so good!" But if it starts hailing and the kosher butcher shop is closest by to take shelter, well, then I will enter with food another place that is even non-kosher to the place I'm sheltering in.

danieldemol

Premium Member
In my opinion: of course. But my opinion is woefully inadequate grounds for knowingly and unnecessarily insulting millions upon millions of people.
Why do you think irreverence towards Muhammad was unnecessary though. What if millions of people where unnecessarily offended by the Jewish religion? Would you demand Jews lay aside their way of life because it might offend millions of people?

Anti-authoritarianism is in my opinion central to the Australian way of life, should I have to lay aside my cultural values because after Muhammad 's passing some Muslims arbitrarily decided to be offended by His image?

I'm afraid I'm just not seeing why people have a right not to be insulted, especially by things which are not inherently insulting.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It is a sick, dishonest question worthy of the ignore list.
Well if you prefer putting people on ignore to informing them so be it, but it was certainly not dishonest, rather it is a question based on an assumed mutual value of the need to hold at bay authoritarianism - which the type of Islam that gets offended at non-adherents displaying images of their Founder quite frankly reeks of.
In my opinion.