• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Baptism) What it is and what it does.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
NetDoc said:
Many call me "Doc"... but I am not a medical doctor. I fix sick networks! :D Feel free to call me that. You can even ask me for that "second opinion", but you may not like it! :D

I spread frubals freely... and the system encourages you to do so! BTW, the more frubals you get and the longer you are here, the more frubals you get to give. I get to give just shy of a hundred. There are SO MANY great and wonderful people on this board and most of them deserve frubals. Like the person who started this thread! What a wonderful thread it has been!

Hi Doc, I have so much to learn on furbals and ribbons and the like, I am trying to quote in parts with my answer below like the others but still don't have a clue, don't even know how to post the little smilies, guess that comes from being blonde Huh LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!. I really do like this website, its so friendly and everybody seems so nice, even with different back grounds and beliefs, not like some people on this one other thread I used to post, not anywhere on this site,, but you try spreading the Gospel and you get verbal abuse..Some folk were ok but others were just nasty in thier comments..I have enjoyed this thread very much and when I learn to give furbals I shall give you all a few .....God Bless...

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Hi again Doc, I don't even know how I got the little fellow that's going woowoo at the bottom of my page LOL!!!!!!!!!!. However when I hit the quote button to reply, why does it say title at the top of the page !!!!!!!!!!!. do I need a title LOL!!!!!!!!. Thanks again, you seem like a good doc hahaha. here have 20 furbals for your help..byeeee

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
glasgowchick said:
Hi again Doc, I don't even know how I got the little fellow that's going woowoo at the bottom of my page LOL!!!!!!!!!!. However when I hit the quote button to reply, why does it say title at the top of the page !!!!!!!!!!!. do I need a title LOL!!!!!!!!. Thanks again, you seem like a good doc hahaha. here have 20 furbals for your help..byeeee
GlasgowChick, you are like an Oasis in the desert - you and NetDoc have restored my belief in my sanity - I was begining to question it.

For what other reason would parents of a new born child who had just hours to live have the child baptized - than for the opportunity of salvation.
BTW if you go to Articles for New Members, you'll find out everything you need to know about fruballs .:)

Stormygale

Babtism.
-
Hmm...I was baptized when I was about ten, or nine, at a riverside gathering in West Virginia. The absolute 'washing away of sins' I believe has been read into tooo deep. Perhaps it was not actually meant as an actual water dipping. I have watched sinners go in, get dunked, and come up bigger sinners and hypocrites than before they got all wet.
-
Me~

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
michel said:
GlasgowChick, you are like an Oasis in the desert - you and NetDoc have restored my belief in my sanity - I was begining to question it.

For what other reason would parents of a new born child who had just hours to live have the child baptized - than for the opportunity of salvation.
BTW if you go to Articles for New Members, you'll find out everything you need to know about fruballs .:)

Thanks for the info site, I shall take a look, thankyou, I believe a child or new born baby that dies already has salvation don't you ? BTW what was wrong with your sanity ? ...Thanks for your help....

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Stormygale said:
Babtism.
-
Hmm...I was baptized when I was about ten, or nine, at a riverside gathering in West Virginia. The absolute 'washing away of sins' I believe has been read into tooo deep. Perhaps it was not actually meant as an actual water dipping. I have watched sinners go in, get dunked, and come up bigger sinners and hypocrites than before they got all wet.
-
Me~

Hi stormy, I guess that what happens to some, they get baptised then go their own way...As sad as that is, maybe one day these people will repent and return to God...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Stormygale said:
Babtism.
-
-
Me~
Yes, but that's their choice. I see people go into Church, marry and then come out as sinners.
I would repeat that, I have always understood that baptism, although it can be done at any stage of life is partucularly suited to infants, as a stop-gap between having the 'original sin' washed away, and 1st Holy Communion, when they are old enough to understand what they are doing, and can participate, and learn all about what the actual meaning of receiving Holy Communion is about.:)

Ori

Angel slayer
Baptism is not confined to merely being washed in water, in fact the whole process is entirely unnessecary. Baptism is of the spirit and can only be initiated by the induvidual.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
orichalcum said:
Baptism is not confined to merely being washed in water, in fact the whole process is entirely unnessecary. Baptism is of the spirit and can only be initiated by the induvidual.
"Baptism can only be initiated by the induvidual" Are you certain of that ? - I always understood that a baby was baptized at the request of his parents ( I was, so were my two sons) .Is that not why we have G-d parents 'allocated to us' - I realize, of course that the 'washing away' is purely symbolic.:)

Ori

Angel slayer
Thats my opinion on it, a baby is innocent from the beginning. When their grown up though it is time for them to make their own choice. Also I don't believe in original sin.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
orichalcum said:
Thats my opinion on it, a baby is innocent from the beginning. When their grown up though it is time for them to make their own choice. Also I don't believe in original sin.

Yes I have to agree with you on that one, there is nothing in the bible that talks about original sin..We are born with a sinful nature with the tendency to sin, but until we commit sin then we are innocent... As I have mentioed on previous posts, there are requirements needed before a person is eligable for baptism..one has to hear the Word, believe, confess Christ Jesus, repent and be baptized..A baby cannot do this and we are not accountable for eachothers sins..

leesw

You'd have to have help to misunderstand what the Bible says about baptism. It is so clear. In Acts 2:38 Peter commanded that we "Repent and be baptized for the forigiveness of sins."

Jesus said in Mark 16:16, "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved."

Those who make statements such as "baptism is not required for salvation" are basically saying that these scriptures (and others such as 1 Peter 3:21, Acts 22:16, Romans 6:4, etc) are wrong. If you take baptism out of our response to God's offer of salvation, you are picking and choosing passages.

Also, the reason Paul said he was not called to baptize was so that people wouldn't be bragging by saying, "I was baptized by the apostle Paul." They had people there baptizing. And in the New Testament we see that it was IMMEDIATELY after they realized the gospel--as with the Ethiopian Enuch. The New Testament placed much more importance on it than many churches do today.