• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptism purpose Sign of the covenant.

sincerly

sincerly said:
Jesus acknowledged that one must be born-again/Baptized, But the Father gave "His SON" upon the cross that whomsoever "BELIEVETH UPON HIM"(HIS blood sacrifice in payment for one's sin debt/death)the sinner's stead should not perish, but have everlasting life. It wasn't the baptism signifying the Repentance(shedding the old man of sin) and the resurrection(arising to live a new spiritual life in full loving harmonic relationship with GOD and all Redeemed Beings) that the Believing Person was to be given Eternal life. It was in BELIEF of the Shed BLOOD of Jesus Christ.(the only means of the ("propitiation".) vs.18, ":but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hast not believed in the name of the only begotten SON of GOD."

No conflict between believing in the blood and baptism for forgiveness of sins. There is no scripture that makes the two mutually exclusive. There is no scripture that says belief is the only means -key word being 'only'

e r. m., Cain had the same erroneous thinking that the Blood didn't matter---there was other "ways".
Heb.9: declares your premise to be in error. Read and understand .vs22, "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission."
And Heb.10:18-22, "Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin. "

sincerly said:
Also, That being Baptized now replaces the Blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ?? That isn't what Mark's message is in that verse.

Nor is it mine. Again, no conflict between baptism for the forgiveness of sins and the Blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

e r.m., there is definitely a conflict---Remission of sins is a function of Jesus' shed blood at the Cross; baptism is a response a repentant sinner voluntarily performs in showing that total surrender on one's will to the Father in dying to self and living vicariously the obedient life of Jesus who died for him.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
e r. m., Cain had the same erroneous thinking that the Blood didn't matter---there was other "ways".
Heb.9: declares your premise to be in error. Read and understand .vs22, "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission."
And Heb.10:18-22, "Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin."

No disrespect intended. I believe your rebuttals are getting disorganized. You are now asserting that I said the Blood doesn't matter? That did not come from me. Stick to what I did say.

e r.m., there is definitely a conflict---Remission of sins is a function of Jesus' shed blood at the Cross; baptism is a response a repentant sinner voluntarily performs in showing that total surrender on one's will to the Father in dying to self and living vicariously the obedient life of Jesus who died for him.

First, you did not attempt to show a conflict between baptism for the forgiveness of sins and the blood of Jesus. Instead you brought up an alternative purpose for baptism (without scripture).

Back to baptism for forgiveness of sins and the Blood of Jesus.

If Jesus didn't express a conflict between the two:
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

If Peter didn't express a conflict between the two:
Acts 2:36, 38
"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." [38] Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

If Paul and Ananias didn't express a conflict between the two:
Acts 22:14, 16
"Then he said: `The God of our fathers has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. [16] And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.'

I don't know how you're going to advocate a direct scriptural conflict between the two.

Last edited:

sincerly

And Heb.10:18-22, "Now where remission of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin."

No disrespect intended. I believe your rebuttals are getting disorganized. You are now asserting that I said the Blood doesn't matter? That did not come from me. Stick to what I did say.

e r.m., No! I think you need to clarify your conclusion to Peter's statement in context of what Peter has said previously in both his epistles.
Is it your belief that Baptism saves a person apart from/without applying the Blood of Christ? (i.e.)Just the act of being baptized saves a person for the Kingdom?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
e r.m., No! I think you need to clarify your conclusion to Peter's statement in context of what Peter has said previously in both his epistles.
Which statement?
Is it your belief that Baptism saves a person apart from/without applying the Blood of Christ? (i.e.)Just the act of being baptized saves a person for the Kingdom?
I already said no.

Last edited:

sincerly

Which statement?
I already said no.

I Pet.3:21
You have been claiming that Baptism is a means by which a sinner is saved----have you changed your mind?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
You have been claiming that Baptism is a means by which a sinner is saved----have you changed your mind?
-I have not changed my mind.
-I have not said that Baptism saves a person apart from/without applying the Blood
of Christ, nor that just the act of being baptized saves a person for the Kingdom.
-There is no conflict between the two.

I think you need to clarify your conclusion to Peter's statement in context of what Peter has said previously in both his epistles.
Again, to which of Peter's statements are you referring?

Last edited:

sincerly

-I have not changed my mind.
-I have not said that Baptism saves a person apart from/without applying the Blood
of Christ, nor that just the act of being baptized saves a person for the Kingdom.
-There is no conflict between the two.

I think you need to clarify your conclusion to Peter's statement in context of what Peter has said previously in both his epistles.
Again, to which of Peter's statements are you referring?

Then your attestation to not changing your mind is admitting that Baptism is a means of being saved-----by itself.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Thank you. What about 2 Peter? You said both epistles.

Then your attestation to not changing your mind is admitting that Baptism is a means of being saved-----by itself.
Not by itself. You keep adding what I don't say as if I'm not going to keep calling you on it.
This is not new ground.
You think I'm going to say 'by itself' if you just ask me enough times?

Last edited:

sincerly

Thank you. What about 2 Peter? You said both epistles.

Not by itself. You keep adding what I don't say as if I'm not going to keep calling you on it.
This is not new ground.
You think I'm going to say 'by itself' if you just ask me enough times?

Notice the language in the first two chapters.

If I understand what you are saying now---It is the Believing in the Shed Blood of Jesus Christ which does the purging of Sins/Remission and Baptism reveals that one has attained the born-again newness of life by being dead with Christ, buried with HIM, and now is alive in HIS spiritual walk(resurrection), awaiting the second Coming of Jesus Christ.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

If I understand what you are saying now---It is the Believing in the Shed Blood of Jesus Christ which does the purging of Sins/Remission and Baptism reveals that one has attained the born-again newness of life by being dead with Christ, buried with HIM, and now is alive in HIS spiritual walk(resurrection), awaiting the second Coming of Jesus Christ.

The shedding of the blood was His part-Acts 2:36. Believing, contriteness and repenting, confessing with our mouth "Jesus is Lord", and getting baptized in water in Jesus's name for the forgiveness of sins is our part-Mark 16:16, Romans 10:9-10, Acts 2:37-38. It is a scriptural response in place of a non-scriptural prayer or incantation-"I accept Jesus as my pers..."

It's clear by this point, since I said that baptism was not the like figure in 1 Peter 3:21, that I wouldn't change my mind and say that baptism reveals.... This is in line with your belief system. Not with scripture though.
I am questioning your honesty. Did you actually suspect I would now be saying baptism reveals...?

I can only hope at some point you drop the strategy of trying to shape my words into something I am not saying, (that strategy is very obvious) and my words aren't so complicated that just by reading you can't understand what I'm saying. But it's not up to me what you say.

Last edited:

sincerly

Originally Posted by sincerly

The shedding of the blood was His part-Acts 2:36.

True--for the remission/propitiation of Sins.

Believing, contriteness and repenting, confessing with our mouth "Jesus is Lord", and getting baptized in water in Jesus's name for the forgiveness of sins is our part-Mark 16:16, Romans 10:9-10, Acts 2:37-38. It is a scriptural response in place of a non-scriptural prayer or incantation-"I accept Jesus as my pers..."

Believing What? Foremost is the "HIS Part" above.
Next is that one has been "pricked in the heart" of one's guiltiness before the Almighty GOD and in total remorse has Repented/made a full trun-a-round in one's attitude toward GOD and what constitutes SIN.
Then one acknowledges(confessing with the mouth) that Jesus is LORD of one's life.
The submitting to Baptism acknowledges one's surrender to the WILL of the Father and HIS forgiveness/remission of one's sins.

I am questioning your honesty. Did you actually suspect I would now be saying baptism reveals...?

What you think about me matters not. It is only what GOD has revealed that counts and must be obeyed.

I can only hope at some point you drop the strategy of trying to shape my words into something I am not saying, (that strategy is very obvious) and my words aren't so complicated that just by reading you can't understand what I'm saying. But it's not up to me what you say.

Asking to know what you are conveying is a strategy of good communication. Accusations of "honesty"/deviousness is not.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Originally Posted by sincerly

True--for the remission/propitiation of Sins.
Agreed

Believing What? Foremost is the "HIS Part" above.
Next is that one has been "pricked in the heart" of one's guiltiness before the Almighty GOD and in total remorse has Repented/made a full trun-a-round in one's attitude toward GOD and what constitutes SIN.
Then one acknowledges(confessing with the mouth) that Jesus is LORD of one's life.
Agreed.

The submitting to Baptism acknowledges one's surrender to the WILL of the Father and HIS forgiveness/remission of one's sins.
How can you follow scripture so closely on everything else, but deviate so far from the text in Acts 2:38? Neither Acts 2:38, nor any other of the almost 8000 verses in the New Testament once refers to baptism as an acknowledgement of sins forgiven. You cannot produce any such verse, but you are willing to present this anti-Biblical idea ANYWAY. It gives me an impression of strong bias in favor of your own tradition. Why can't you face that Acts 2:38 says "for the FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS", 1 Peter 3:21 "even baptism doth also now save us", not acknowledgement of...?

What you think about me matters not. It is only what GOD has revealed that counts and must be
obeyed.

Asking to know what you are conveying is a strategy of good communication...

Ok, I'll believe you.

Last edited:

sincerly

sincerly said:
How can you follow scripture so closely on everything else, but deviate so far from the text in Acts 2:38? Neither Acts 2:38, nor any other of the almost 8000 verses in the New Testament once refers to baptism as an acknowledgement of sins forgiven. You cannot produce any such verse, but you are willing to present this anti-Biblical idea ANYWAY. It gives me an impression of strong bias in favor of your own tradition. Why can't you face that Acts 2:38 says "for the FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS", 1 Peter 3:21 "even baptism doth also now save us", not acknowledgement of...?

e r.m., Acts 2:36-39, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men [and] brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call."

The Greek word for remission of sins is "ἄφεσις aphesis" (G859)and it means/was used as
1) release from bondage or imprisonment
2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 17
AV — remission 9, forgiveness 6, deliverance 1, liberty 1
e r.m., Here are the verses in which those 17 times were found:
Matt.26:28, "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission859 of sins."
Mark 1:5, "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission859 of sins."
Mark3:29, "But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness859, but is in danger of eternal damnation:"
Luke1:77, "To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission859 of their sins,"
Luke 3:3, "And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission859 of sins;
Luke4:18, "The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted , to preach deliverance859 to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty859 them that are bruised ,"
Luke 24:47, "And that repentance and remission859 of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."
Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent , and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission859 of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Acts 5:31, "Him hath God exalted with his right hand [to be] a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness859 of sins."
Acts 10:43, "To him give all the prophets witness , that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission859 of sins."
Acts 13:38, "Be it known unto you therefore, men [and] brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness859 of sins:"
Acts 26:18, "To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness859 of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."
Eph. 1:7, "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness859 of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"
Col. 1:14, "In whom we have redemption through his blood, [even] the forgiveness859 of sins:"
Heb.9:22, "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission859."
Heb. 10:18, "Now where remission859 of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin."

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
sincerly said:

e r.m., Acts 2:36-39, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men [and] brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call."

The Greek word for remission of sins is "ἄφεσις aphesis" (G859)and it means/was used as
1) release from bondage or imprisonment
2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 17
AV — remission 9, forgiveness 6, deliverance 1, liberty 1
e r.m., Here are the verses in which those 17 times were found:
Matt.26:28, "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission859 of sins."
Mark 1:5, "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission859 of sins."
Mark3:29, "But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness859, but is in danger of eternal damnation:"
Luke1:77, "To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission859 of their sins,"
Luke 3:3, "And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission859 of sins;
Luke4:18, "The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted , to preach deliverance859 to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty859 them that are bruised ,"
Luke 24:47, "And that repentance and remission859 of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."
Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent , and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission859 of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Acts 5:31, "Him hath God exalted with his right hand [to be] a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness859 of sins."
Acts 10:43, "To him give all the prophets witness , that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission859 of sins."
Acts 13:38, "Be it known unto you therefore, men [and] brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness859 of sins:"
Acts 26:18, "To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness859 of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."
Eph. 1:7, "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness859 of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"
Col. 1:14, "In whom we have redemption through his blood, [even] the forgiveness859 of sins:"
Heb.9:22, "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission859."
Heb. 10:18, "Now where remission859 of these [is, there is] no more offering for sin."
Great research. Kudos.
The remission, as you have thoroughly cited, is the purpose for baptism in Acts 2:38. There is no vocabulary to support an acknowledgement type purpose for baptism. Why not just go with what the scriptures say?

Last edited:

sincerly

Great research. Kudos.
The remission, as you have thoroughly cited, is the purpose for baptism in Acts 2:38. There is no vocabulary to support an acknowledgement type purpose for baptism. Why not just go with what the scriptures say?

e r.m., You just acknowledged that those 17 verses all referred to Remission of sins by the Blood/what Jesus had done. NONE added baptism.
In Acts2:38, fifty days earlier, Peter had heard for the first time, "GO YE" teach and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. This "same Jesus" was to whom Peter had been bringing the hearers to this understanding. Jesus was the source of the given Remission for their sins---NOT the "now being baptized".

In 1Pet.3:21, you want to ignore the "like figure" and "by".
Yes, by "Like figure" of those eight persons being saved by entering into the Ark---so are all saved who enter into a living relationship with Jesus Christ by the rebirth of baptism---the Resurrection with Jesus from the tomb/grave/dead.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
e r.m., You just acknowledged that those 17 verses all referred to Remission of sins by the Blood/what Jesus had done. NONE added baptism. -Acts 2:38 included baptism, Verse #8.
Reminiscent of Post # 54.
These other 16 verses are another example of trying to exclude something where the scriptures do not. Has it occurred to you (I'm asking this sincerely) that scriptures that don't include a certain item (e.g. Luke 13:5 and belief), aren't necessarily excluding that item? Otherwise you're cherry picking scriptures to your liking. If it says you are saved by "this" in one or two of the salvation scriptures, it does not have to repeat that in every other salvation scripture. Not even "belief" is so universally distributed. The following passage completely does not mention belief in Jesus Christ in the text:

Titus 3:4-7 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, [5] he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, [6] whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, [7] so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Yet belief in Christ is still required by other scriptures, like
John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
You cannot exclude baptism from salvation on the basis that it is not included in these 16 verses, because it is included in other scriptures, like in Acts 2:38 that you metioned.

In Acts 2:38, fifty days earlier, Peter had heard for the first time, "GO YE" teach and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. This "same Jesus" was to whom Peter had been bringing the hearers to this understanding. Jesus was the source of the given Remission for their sins---NOT the "now being baptized".
How do go from:
"GO YE" teach and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit.
to
Jesus was the source of the given Remission for their sins---NOT the "now being baptized"?
That's a serious addition to what the text says. Where, anywhere in the text that you mentioned, can you show that it either negates baptism or makes any attempt to divorce baptism from Jesus? The text is the standard.

In 1Pet.3:21, you want to ignore the "like figure" and "by".
Yes, by "Like figure"
It doesn't say 'by the like figure', not even in KJV. It says 'the like figure whereunto'.
More clearly in NASB
were brought safely through water. 21. Corresponding to that
-and-
NIV
eight in all were saved through water. 21. and this water symbolizes
in all three versions baptism is symbolized by that water. It says directly that 1. baptism does the saving 2. that baptism is an appeal to God for a good conscience. Both 1 & 2 are through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

of those eight persons being saved by entering into the Ark---so are all saved who enter into a living relationship with Jesus Christ by the rebirth of baptism---the Resurrection with Jesus from the tomb/grave/dead.
I'm aware you don't mean baptism is involved in salvation, but the words by the rebirth of baptism sure makes it sound that way.

Just out of sheer curiosity, do you believe in KJVOnlyism? If so it's ok, just wondering.

Last edited:

sincerly

sincerly said:
e r.m., You just acknowledged that those 17 verses all referred to Remission of sins by the Blood/what Jesus had done. NONE added baptism.

In Acts 2:38, fifty days earlier, Peter had heard for the first time, "GO YE" teach and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. This "same Jesus" was to whom Peter had been bringing the hearers to this understanding. Jesus was the source of the given Remission for their sins---NOT the "now being baptized".

How do go from:
"GO YE" teach and Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit.
to
Jesus was the source of the given Remission for their sins---NOT the "now being baptized"?
That's a serious addition to what the text says. Where, anywhere in the text that you mentioned, can you show that it either negates baptism or makes any attempt to divorce baptism from Jesus? The text is the standard.

Had peter been telling the truths of Jesus mission and fulfillment of the Scriptures to that assemblage ot Pentacost? Yes. Didn't Peter answer the Question---What shall we do? --with "Repent, and be Baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,..."

NLT= "Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

RSV="And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

HNV= "Rock said to them, "Repent, and be immersed, everyone of you, in the name of Yeshua the Messiah for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Ruach HaKodesh."

Therefore, Repentance, Confession of one's sins, Submission to the Will of the Father, and Baptism are all the manifestations of a broken and contrite heart as one stands before the Father by one who has applied the shed Blood of God's Son to their sin debt/penalty of death. The Atonement Sacrifice.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Had peter been telling the truths of Jesus mission and fulfillment of the Scriptures to that assemblage ot Pentacost? Yes. Didn't Peter answer the Question---What shall we do? --with "Repent, and be Baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,..."

NLT= "Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

RSV="And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

HNV= "Rock said to them, "Repent, and be immersed, everyone of you, in the name of Yeshua the Messiah for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Ruach HaKodesh."

Therefore, Repentance, Confession of one's sins, Submission to the Will of the Father, and Baptism are all the manifestations of a broken and contrite heart as one stands before the Father by one who has applied the shed Blood of God's Son to their sin debt/penalty of death. The Atonement Sacrifice.
Therefore, Repentance, Confession of one's sins, Submission to the will of the Father, is not a separate item. It emcompasses the other items in the list Baptism for forgiveness of sins-funny that this alone was left out when it was included in every version of Acts 2:38 you quoted. Including this makes the rest of your statement not work. They couldn't have (past tense) applied the shed Blood of God's Son to their sin debt/penalty death since they are being told to (future tense) repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of their sins.
Let's look at your statement in agreement with scripture, without your omission.

Had peter been telling the truths of Jesus mission and fulfillment of the Scriptures to that assemblage ot Pentacost? Yes. Didn't Peter answer the Question---What shall we do? --with "Repent, and be Baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,..." NLT= "Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." RSV="And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." HNV= "Rock said to them, "Repent, and be immersed, everyone of you, in the name of Yeshua the Messiah for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Ruach HaKodesh."

Therefore, Repentance, Confession of one's sins, and Baptism for forgiveness of sins, ARE a submission to the will of the Father and a manifestation of a broken and contrite heart as one stands before the Father who is granting these through the Atonement Sacrifice of His son.

You're not addressing, you're avoiding.

Last edited:

sincerly

Therefore, Repentance, Confession of one's sins, Submission to the will of the Father, is not a separate item. It emcompasses the other items in the list Baptism for forgiveness of sins-funny that this alone was left out when it was included in every version of Acts 2:38 you quoted. Including this makes the rest of your statement not work. They couldn't have (past tense) applied the shed Blood of God's Son to their sin debt/penalty death since they are being told to (future tense) repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of their sins.
Let's look at your statement in agreement with scripture, without your omission.

Had peter been telling the truths of Jesus mission and fulfillment of the Scriptures to that assemblage ot Pentacost? Yes. Didn't Peter answer the Question---What shall we do? --with "Repent, and be Baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,..." NLT= "Peter replied, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." RSV="And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." HNV= "Rock said to them, "Repent, and be immersed, everyone of you, in the name of Yeshua the Messiah for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Ruach HaKodesh."

Therefore, Repentance, Confession of one's sins, and Baptism for forgiveness of sins, ARE a submission to the will of the Father and a manifestation of a broken and contrite heart as one stands before the Father who is granting these through the Atonement Sacrifice of His son.

You're not addressing, you're avoiding.

Thanks for confirming what I have been saying. Baptism is NOT an act of "Saving", but of receiving forgiveness by believing in the atoning Blood of Jesus Christ.
And the submission to the Father's Will.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sorry it took me a while to reply.

The "baptism that now saves you" is qualified by "an appeal[a] of a good conscience toward God." Peter evidently sees a need to clarify what he means by baptism.
-Again, the rest of the verse does not negate the first, it includes and expands upon it.

It does not say that baptism is a saving grace only that it is evidence of salvation.
-Where?

The Baptism simply reflected that conscience.
-Where?

1Pe 3:21 which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism, not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ;

I have never seen a verse stating the purpose of the Baptism of Jesus except when He was baptized "to fulfill all righteousness" but that wasn't His baptism , it was John's.
It was both. It was John's as he did the baptizing, however, the baptism of Jesus differed from everyone elses. No one else is recorded to have gotten baptized to fulfill all righteousness.

That is an error. The appeal is not to God but to a clear conscience. This verse has been re-translated to insert "God" but is that valid from the Greek or someone's interpretation of what the Greek says or even worse an effort to bring the word into line with current doctrine?

3:21 ...
w

alla

alla

G235

Conj

but
suneidhsews
suneidEseOs
G4893
n_ Gen Sg f
OF-conscience
agaqhs
agathEs
G18
a_ Gen Sg f
GOOD
eperwthma
eperOtEma
G1906
n_ Nom Sg n
inquiry
eis
eis
G1519
Prep

INTO

theon

G2316

n_ Acc Sg m

God

θεός,n \{theh'-os}
[SIZE=-1]1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities 2) the Godhead, trinity 2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity 2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity 2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity 3) spoken of the only and true God 3a) refers to the things of God 3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him 4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way 4a) God's representative or viceregent 4a1) of magistrates and judges [/SIZE]

Yup God is there, no fabrication.

ἐπερώτημα,n \{ep-er-o'-tay-mah}
[SIZE=-1]1) an enquiry, a question 2) a demand 3) earnestly seeking 3a) craving, an intense desire [/SIZE]
I says "good ἐπερώτημα into God."

My baptism was primarily an act of obedience and a testimony of my faith.
-The Bible doesn't say baptism is an act of obedience or a testimony of faith. At best act of obedience or a testimony of faith is a side effect to the stated purpose.

Receiving Jesus as my Lord and Savior, saved me.

-No scripture reference to receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior.
On the contrary, the verse makes it quite clear that Baptism doesn't save. It is negated by the exception ie a person who does not have a good conscience and yet is baptized. Such a person is not saved by baptism because the heart and mind are just as closed to Jesus as they were before baptism.

"not the putting away of the filth of the flesh,"

"but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God,"

It is good to know the revisionists got it right.

There doesn't have to be one. Jesus is Lord and Jesus is Savior. Receiving Him as He is and recognizing the relationship is not a stretch. A person who has water poured over him gets wet but does not have a Lord or Savior. The water can't save a person from his sin. If a person looks at a person with prurient interest where is the water that will keep him from doing that?

Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:

That is the purpose of Baptism. John did not call people to come and get wet but to come and repent. He didn't baptize the Pharisees because they weren't repentant. Of course if you wish to ignore my testimony then at my baptism all I did was get wet.