• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands like Soundgarden

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
So, I listen to Soundgarden on an almost daily basis and the main thing that attracts me to their music is the Indian style chord progressions and scales they use. I really love the mix of Indian sounds with heavy rock music; its heavy, energetic and melodic at the same time.

So my question: does anyone know any other bands that do this same/similar kind of thing? I would really like to find other sources of music like this.

A couple samples to show what im talking about:

[youtube]fqdo-Rs8OrE[/youtube]

[youtube]b0mYZswIU5M[/youtube]

[youtube]Qc4GWQQGUf8[/youtube]

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I love Soundgarden; Outshined or Black Hole Sun has to be my favorites.

When I listen to Soundgarden, I almost always will listen to Powerman 5000 somewhere in between.

Also, Audioslave. Sometimes I'll get Soundgarden songs confused with Audioslave.

I don't listen to Pearl Jam too much, but I'd say they give off a tone that reminds me somewhat of Soundgarden.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I actually like Audioslave better than Soundgarden. (Edit: I do like Soundgarden. :))

I have such a vast musical palette, but, there are a few bands that I do listen to without tiring.

Of the rock genre, Chevelle has just always done it for me. It's melodic, angsty and there's an almost tragic sound to it that just...gets me.

This is perfect, in my opinion. I really enjoy H.I.M. and Breaking Benjamin as well, but, have to say that Chevelle is probably my favorite male band. This is another one that I can listen to on repeat without tiring of it.

On the female spectrum, I lean more towards whimsical. Anneke Van Gierspergen is a personal fave (this is also audio perfection to me). I could listen to her all day long. But, here of late, I've had Eisley playing on repeat.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Thanks for the replies, but what I am specifically looking for is a band that mixes hard rock with Indian style music.

CynthiaCypher

Creed sounds a lot like Soundgarden. I know they suck but so again does...

I really didn't like 90's music to tell you the truth. I all just seemed too bombastic and lacked subtlety.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Yeah, I thought about Zepplin and Black Sabbath. Not so much of the Indian sound in Sabbath, but Soundgarden took a lot of inspiration from them. Rhinosaur, off of Down on the Upside sounds a lot like a Sabbath song.

The only thing I found a while ago that is similar to what im looking for is an Indian rock band called Punkh:

[youtube]fVTaaE6e1RY[/youtube]

[youtube]gm2HsfMh8RA[/youtube]

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I checked around to see what Jeff Loomis of Nevermore was up to these days: it seems he's working with an instrumental band called "Conquering Dystopia." It might be worth checking out, since he does a lot of Raga scale work.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I checked around to see what Jeff Loomis of Nevermore was up to these days: it seems he's working with an instrumental band called "Conquering Dystopia." It might be worth checking out, since he does a lot of Raga scale work.
I like this one:
[youtube]owArsqc3OFg[/youtube]
Keith Merrow- Spice Dealer (Featuring Jeff Loomis) - YouTube

This one made me laugh:

[youtube]14Rn09k6DqU[/youtube]
Keith Merrow- Heart of the Sea Nymph (feat. Jeff Loomis) - YouTube

It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is pretty kewl. :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Pandora.com says that similar artists to Soundgarden are Alice in Chains, Audioslave, Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam. That is based on their music genome where they use a database of song descriptions. I don't know if they actually listen to the songs.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Pandora.com says that similar artists to Soundgarden are Alice in Chains, Audioslave, Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam. That is based on their music genome where they use a database of song descriptions. I don't know if they actually listen to the songs.

I'm thinking not! More a case of what's filed under "grunge/Seattle"...

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
You might like this if you don't mind growls:

[youtube]7Xmo01jXL2o[/youtube]
Amorphis - '' Greed '' - YouTube

This one was pretty cool until he started growling :D

I like this one:
[youtube]owArsqc3OFg[/youtube]
Keith Merrow- Spice Dealer (Featuring Jeff Loomis) - YouTube

This one made me laugh:

[youtube]14Rn09k6DqU[/youtube]
Keith Merrow- Heart of the Sea Nymph (feat. Jeff Loomis) - YouTube

It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is pretty kewl. :D

The first one is pretty cool, definitely closer to what im looking for, sans vocals. I didnt get a chance to listen to the second one because my laptop keeps forgetting that it has a sound card installed.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Mahavishnu Orchestra seems an obvious suggestion, well at least to me!

I listened to some of their stuff. Pretty cool, but not quite what im looking for. They have a broad discography, though, so I might not have found the right songs.

One of my favorite bands. I've listened them to death, though :D

Yeah, what Magog said, they are grunge bands and Audioslave has Chris Cornell in it too.

Maybe there just aren't any bands that have a similar sound to Soundgarden. I think my best bet will be to look at actual Indian rock bands and hope to find one with a similar rock sound :shrug: