• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bananas: the Atheist's Nightmare?

MdmSzdWhtGuy

robtex said:
I have a theory on it. I have been in martial arts for about 2 decades and I have seen some really some odd things done. I use to wonder where some of the ideas for the more outlandish theories came from. Martial arts shares one thing with religion. Both share the commonality of hypothicals in their idea. Obviously religion has much more hypothicals than martial arts but I to illustrate my parallel all I need you to accept is that both have some portion, wheather large or small of theory that cannot be tested. In martial arts some things cannot be tested so theories are developed to replace them. It doesn't really matter what the theories are for the sake of this thread as long as I can present the idea that not everything can be tested and theories are used for what cannot be tested in martial arts. Just as an example I am going to use joint breaking theory via joint locks. For the record nobody learns these theories by breaking each others arm. The entire body of knowledge on joint break via joint locks is theory. It is the only thing it can be under the circumstances.

What this leads to are theories that, like religion are based in some parts on faith.They are somewhat testable but obviously not completely testable. People like me, who are sorta down-to-earth, realize some things cannot be tested (like using joint locks to break a joint for instance), and the info we got is not fact but theory. Others, more vigiliant or more emotionally, more passionate, more something (other than more down-to-earth), have to know. They just have to. A theory won't work them. An idea won't work for them. It is either fact or trash in their mind. So they may see the same joint break theory I do and presented it to others as fact, as 100 % certainty, all the way from the set-up, to the technique to the follow-up/follow through as if they broke peoples arms or legs on a weekly basis.

That mentality of theory won't work for them emotionally but the idea they hold on to is not testable seems to work the same way in religion. Now in marital arts people that do this (and they are a real minority just like in religion), have at least some things that can be tested and have written and visual material to work with. People of religion who are not like this are not afforded that luxuary. So if they absolutly believe there is a God, and by nature of their personality, feel due to their passion for their belief, or their need for their belief, or their (fill in the blank) for their belief need to have something more than faith-based theory they "find" stuff that supports the theory.

The earth is 6500 years old,
satan planted dinosaur bones in the ground
incredible complexity of the human eye
a banana is made perfectly for human consumption

The banana video exists, and a small small percentage of the people who watch it will buy into the validity of the video because there is a small percentage of people who believe in God and not only believe in God but need something, seems really like anything, to validate that belief above and beyond faith.

I totally agree with the only caveat I would add is that I have seen a triangle choke knock a person out, I have broken peoples ribs with my own fists and feet, I have seen people's elbows dislocated when they did not tap quick enough when caught in an armlock. Anyone doubting that a banana splits maneuver will end a fight can find out very quickly and painfully that it will indeed cause you to tap or risk tearing your groin. Anyone who has been in a knee bar doesn't need the knee to be completely broken to know how close they were to being crippled.

While I like the references, these things you referred to can and have been proven, and some of us have the scars and painful memories to show the results. I think a more apt martial arts reference would have been various practitioners who claim to use Chi to be able to disable others without ever making physical contact. Anyone who has been around the martial arts game for as long as you have has likely seen such "snake oil martial artists" and those guys' claims have been consistently debunked, tho I still see and hear people making such outrageous claims to this day.

A quick request to spar with them, or with their beloved master usually shuts up such debates I have discovered. Sadly the same cannot be said for people pushing other equally ridiculous agendas.

B.