• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Muzzleloaders Because They Might be Used in a Mass Shooting

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Even though the advocate for banning them can provide no data of mass shootings with muzzleloaders in the last one hundred years, much less provide crime statistics for them. His argument is not that it has ever happened in the last 100 years but because someone might commit one with them they should be banned.
Jumaane Williams is a New York City council member, note the "stay woke" pin he has.

This is from a few years ago:

ecco

Veteran Member
Your commentary was vague. Also, I do not watch propaganda videos.

Does Tucker Carlson want muzzle loaders banned or does Tucker Carlson want muzzle loader proponents banned or does Tucker Carlson want muzzle loader proponents muzzled?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Does Tucker Carlson want muzzle loaders banned or does Tucker Carlson want muzzle loader proponents banned or does Tucker Carlson want muzzle loader proponents muzzled?

Why bother replying if you have no idea what the thread is about?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes
I imagine even a semi skilled archer such as myself could do far more damage with a bow and arrow in a far less period of time.

I guess being "woke" doesn't include being informed (or literate, considering the term isn't proper English.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm no gun expert, but wouldn't a muzzleloader be among the least effective guns for carrying out a mass shooting?
If you ever try, I recommend a musket (smoothbore) over a rifled muzzle loader.
The former is a loose fit, & allows faster reloads. Accuracy is poor though.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Yes
I imagine even a semi skilled archer such as myself could do far more damage with a bow and arrow in a far less period of time.

The bow is the fastest firing weapon next to a firearm. You certainly can do more damage if you can be on a high ground, the target isn't aware of your position, and you have a massive supply of arrows. (You can easily train to shoot one every couple of seconds). The other part is if you're far enough away... No noise at all.

The disadvantage of the bow is it's no good if you get mobbed up on, and it's large and fragile.

Another weapon, a crossbow is capable or obscene ranges though the fire rate is crap. 200-300 pound draw easy, shooting a heavier bolt, and probably twice the distance in accuracy (bows work pretty well out to 300m, crossbows even further), and they can be scoped.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If you ever try, I recommend a musket (smoothbore) over a rifled muzzle loader.
The former is a loose fit, & allows faster reloads. Accuracy is poor though.

You can get better accuracy with a tighter fitting patch and ball combo and a hefty powder load instead of the service load with a severely undersize ball. I own two Brown Besses and have tried a lot of different combos, at the end of the day you still have a smoothbore but it is possible to tighten up the groups quite a bit. One factor that seems to get people on the bess is that you fire with the bayonet lug as the front sight, no rear sight unless you count the tang screw.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
the would not need, but if someone should have weaponsit is the police, best if no body needed guns

Should the police have them because criminals might have them? I think what would be criminal is not allowing law abiding citizens the means to possibly protect themselves from the very same people that the police are arming themselves against.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You can get better accuracy with a tighter fitting patch and ball combo and a hefty powder load instead of the service load with a severely undersize ball. I own two Brown Besses and have tried a lot of different combos, at the end of the day you still have a smoothbore but it is possible to tighten up the groups quite a bit. One factor that seems to get people on the bess is that you fire with the bayonet lug as the front sight, no rear sight unless you count the tang screw.
We're lucky that our advice is impractical.
But the loose ball was a strategy for faster loading in the old
style of warfare, ie, lines standing & shooting at each other.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Another weapon, a crossbow is capable or obscene ranges though the fire rate is crap. 200-300 pound draw easy, shooting a heavier bolt, and probably twice the distance in accuracy (bows work pretty well out to 300m, crossbows even further), and they can be scoped.

Crossbow technology has come a very long way for sure

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Should the police have them because criminals might have them? I think what would be criminal is not allowing law abiding citizens the means to possibly protect themselves from the very same people that the police are arming themselves against.
So you feel it is ok to shoot someone because they may harm you? or steal from you

Stanyon

WWMRD?
We're lucky that our advice is impractical.
But the loose ball was a strategy for faster loading in the old
style of warfare, ie, lines standing & shooting at each other.

There is a joke about "pumpkin balls" which is due to the size of the ball, yes the undersize ball was for speed of firing and it didn't really matter if you hit someone center mass or not, an arm or leg hit would probably put one out of commission= less soldiers firing back =winning battles.