• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'u'llah and Progressive Revelation question

BrokenOldWheel563

Hi there, thank you for reading my post :)

I'm currently learning about the Baha'i Faith.

I'm still very new to the theology and stuff of the religion and just started learning about the Progressive Revelation part, I think that's what it's called. I think Baha'u'llah said somewhere that after 1000 years another prophet will appear after him. Does that mean everything that's he's taught will become obsolete and abrogated like he says the old teachings and ways of the prophets in the "Adamic Cycle" were?

I think that'd be a shame because so far from what I know, (which is admittedly quite a little) the teachings and writings of his seem like they'd be relevant for more than just roughly 800 more years. For example the equality of men and women, the removal of prejudice in all forms, the need for education for all etc. I don't know see how that wouldn't apply to any time in the future.

But I don't know, I obviously don't know the future and what it holds, so there may very well need another prophet after him to address those issues

Anyways thanks again for reading and I look forward to your responses, have a great day!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think that's what it's called. I think Baha'u'llah said somewhere that after 1000 years another prophet will appear after him. Does that mean everything that's he's taught will become obsolete and abrogated like he says the old teachings and ways of the prophets in the "Adamic Cycle" were?
Bahaullah's spiritual teachings will never be abrogated because the spiritual teachings or a religion are never abrogated, only the social teachings and laws are abrogated... Maybe this will help:

The first part of the Religion of God which refers to spiritual truth is the same in every religion. The second part of the Religion of God which refers to material things is different in each religion. It changes in each prophetic cycle to accommodate the needs of the times.

In the following passage, the Law of God refers to the divinely revealed religion of God. The spiritual message (spiritual virtues and divine qualities) are the same in all the great world religions:

“the Law of God is divided into two parts. One is the fundamental basis which comprises all spiritual things—that is to say, it refers to the spiritual virtues and divine qualities; this does not change nor alter: it is the Holy of Holies, which is the essence of the Law of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Christ, Muhammad, the Báb, and Bahá’u’lláh, and which lasts and is established in all the prophetic cycles. It will never be abrogated, for it is spiritual and not material truth; it is faith, knowledge, certitude, justice, piety, righteousness, trustworthiness, love of God, benevolence, purity, detachment, humility, meekness, patience and constancy. It shows mercy to the poor, defends the oppressed, gives to the wretched and uplifts the fallen......

These divine qualities, these eternal commandments, will never be abolished; nay, they will last and remain established for ever and ever. These virtues of humanity will be renewed in each of the different cycles; for at the end of every cycle the spiritual Law of God—that is to say, the human virtues—disappears, and only the form subsists.

The second part of the Religion of God, which refers to the material world, and which comprises fasting, prayer, forms of worship, marriage and divorce, the abolition of slavery, legal processes, transactions, indemnities for murder, violence, theft and injuries—this part of the Law of God, which refers to material things, is modified and altered in each prophetic cycle in accordance with the necessities of the times.” Some Answered Questions, pp. 48

In addition to these two parts of the Religion of God, we have the primary mission of each Messenger, which changes from age to age; and it is progressive, each mission building upon the previous one. Jesus focused on a high standard of morality and discipline into man, as the fundamental unit in human society. Muhammad focused on nation building, and Baha’u’llah focused on world unity and the oneness of mankind. Each one of these was a necessary building block that enabled the next one to take place. Mankind’s spiritual evolution develops gradually, proceeding step by step, and that is why God reveals religious Truth in various stages over time, called Progressive Revelation....

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Hi there, thank you for reading my post :)

I'm currently learning about the Baha'i Faith.

I'm still very new to the theology and stuff of the religion and just started learning about the Progressive Revelation part, I think that's what it's called. I think Baha'u'llah said somewhere that after 1000 years another prophet will appear after him. Does that mean everything that's he's taught will become obsolete and abrogated like he says the old teachings and ways of the prophets in the "Adamic Cycle" were?
I do not want to overwhelm you with too much information, but think it is important to understand that religions are never abrogated, only religious dispensations are abrogated. These two quotes below from the Guardian of the Baha'i Faith explain what I mean.

Whenever a new Revelation comes from God, it abrogates all the Dispensations that have come before it, so for example, the Revelation of Baha’u’llah abrogated the Dispensation of Muhammad.

“In conclusion of this theme, I feel, it should be stated that the Revelation identified with Bahá’u’lláh abrogates unconditionally all the Dispensations gone before it, upholds uncompromisingly the eternal verities they enshrine, recognizes firmly and absolutely the Divine origin of their Authors, preserves inviolate the sanctity of their authentic Scriptures, disclaims any intention of lowering the status of their Founders or of abating the spiritual ideals they inculcate, clarifies and correlates their functions, reaffirms their common, their unchangeable and fundamental purpose, reconciles their seemingly divergent claims and doctrines, readily and gratefully recognizes their respective contributions to the gradual unfoldment of one Divine Revelation, unhesitatingly acknowledges itself to be but one link in the chain of continually progressive Revelations, supplements their teachings with such laws and ordinances as conform to the imperative needs, and are dictated by the growing receptivity, of a fast evolving and constantly changing society, and proclaims its readiness and ability to fuse and incorporate the contending sects and factions into which they have fallen into a universal Fellowship, functioning within the framework, and in accordance with the precepts, of a divinely conceived, a world-unifying, a world-redeeming Order.” God Passes By, p. 100

However, it was only the former Dispensations that have been abrogated. The religions themselves have not been abrogated. Religions cannot be abrogated because they are all God’s Truth and they are all part of one process of revelation from God to humanity that comes to humanity in stages.

“Let no one, however, mistake my purpose. The Revelation, of which Bahá’u’lláh is the source and center, abrogates none of the religions that have preceded it, nor does it attempt, in the slightest degree, to distort their features or to belittle their value. It disclaims any intention of dwarfing any of the Prophets of the past, or of whittling down the eternal verity of their teachings. It can, in no wise, conflict with the spirit that animates their claims, nor does it seek to undermine the basis of any man’s allegiance to their cause. Its declared, its primary purpose is to enable every adherent of these Faiths to obtain a fuller understanding of the religion with which he stands identified, and to acquire a clearer apprehension of its purpose. It is neither eclectic in the presentation of its truths, nor arrogant in the affirmation of its claims. Its teachings revolve around the fundamental principle that religious truth is not absolute but relative, that Divine Revelation is progressive, not final. Unequivocally and without the least reservation it proclaims all established religions to be divine in origin, identical in their aims, complementary in their functions, continuous in their purpose, indispensable in their value to mankind.” The World Order of Bahá’u’lláh, pp, 57-58

arthra

Baha'i
Hi there, thank you for reading my post :) I'm currently learning about the Baha'i Faith. I'm still very new to the theology and stuff of the religion and just started learning about the Progressive Revelation part, I think that's what it's called. I think Baha'u'llah said somewhere that after 1000 years another prophet will appear after him. Does that mean everything that's he's taught will become obsolete and abrogated like he says the old teachings and ways of the prophets in the "Adamic Cycle" were?

I think that'd be a shame because so far from what I know, (which is admittedly quite a little) the teachings and writings of his seem like they'd be relevant for more than just roughly 800 more years. For example the equality of men and women, the removal of prejudice in all forms, the need for education for all etc. I don't know see how that wouldn't apply to any time in the future.

My understanding is that the whole purpose of revelations from God through the Manifestations is the progress and advancement of humanity... So starting where humanity is at a given stage of development and the new revelation does at least two things:

(1) It reinforces the spiritual teachings of all the Prophets gone before and

(2) The new revelation will have social teachings to resolve the issues or challenges facing humanity at that particular stage.

In this era Baha'u'llah has brought social teachings that resolve the issues facing us...

One challenge facing humanity today is how we can get along as a world community. Baha'u'llah as a "prisoner" of the Ottoman Empire sent Tablets to the rulers of the time suggesting that they convene a world parliament and set up the kind of governance called for in this age. He also suggested an International Court of Arbitration to resolve disputes.

Here's a brief article on the subject:

The Baha'i Concept of Progressive Revelation

Wikipedia has a brief paragraph:

"Progressive revelation is a core teaching in the Baháʼí Faith that suggests that religious truth is revealed by God progressively and cyclically over time through a series of divine Messengers, and that the teachings are tailored to suit the needs of the time and place of their appearance.[1][2] Thus, the Baháʼí teachings recognize the divine origin of several world religions as different stages in the history of one religion, while believing that the revelation of Baháʼu'lláh is the most recent (though not the last—that there will never be a last), and therefore the most relevant to modern society.[1]

"This teaching is an interaction of simpler teachings and their implications. The basic concept relates closely to Baháʼí views on God's essential unity, and the nature of prophets, termed Manifestations of God. It also ties into Baháʼí views of the purpose and nature of religion, laws, belief, culture and history. Hence revelation is seen as both progressive and continuous, and therefore never ceases.[3]"

Progressive revelation (Baháʼí) - Wikipedia

By the way you wrote above:

"I think Baha'u'llah said somewhere that after 1000 years another prophet will appear after him"

The following is the source:

“Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor...."

Bahá'í Reference Library - Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, Page 346

So it seems to be saying "...ere the expiration of a full thousand years"... It could be more!