• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'is only - when next Manifestation comes

InvestigateTruth

The coming of the next manifestation has never been explicitly mentioned by any of previous Messengers, Prophests or Imams.
However, we now know that, the Jewish prophets had mentioned the time of manifestation of Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Bahaullah, albeit figuratively.

Do you think, in the Scriptures (Bahai scriptures, Quran, and others), is there any mention of the year, that the next manifestation comes?

I believe so. Through my investigation, I think, year 309 in Bahai Callander is the year of next Manifestation.

I know, it appears as if, the next manifestation will not come until expiration of 1000 years. But my understanding, based on tablets of Abdulbaha, is, the expiration of 1000 years is not about next manifestation. It is only about appearance of some holy souls.
The year 309, can be understood from a verse in Quran, as well as some writings from Abdulbaha, albeit none of it is explicit.

It is obvious that, Abdulbaha or Bahaullah did not want to clearly state the year for a wisdom that is clear to Bahais.
I won't be on the earth in year 309, but if I were, I would watch.

InvestigateTruth

Some parts of the Tablet of Abdulbaha regarding the expiration of a thousand years:

"This is not a reference to the Universal Manifestation, for it is clearly set forth in the Holy Writings that centuries, nay thousands of years, must pass on to completion, before a Manifestation like unto this Manifestation shall appear again.

It is possible, however, that after the completion of a full thousand years, certain Holy Beings will be empowered to deliver a Revelation: this, however, will not be through a Universal Manifestation. "

My comment: what does Abdulbaha mean by "Holy Beings will be empowered"?
Are these Manifestations of God, similar to Jesus?

What does Abdulbaha mean by "Universal Manifestation? Were Muhammad or Jesus a Universal Manifestation?

Selections from the Writings of ‘Abdu’l‑Bahá | Bahá’í Reference Library

InvestigateTruth

How would you understand the following verse of Quran:

"And (it is said) they tarried in their Cave three hundred years and add nine." 18:25

Here are some guides to understand this. Bahaullah wrote in the Seven Valleys:

The mystery treasured in this plane is divulged in the following holy verse from the Súrih of THE CAVE: 3
“And thou mightest have seen the sun when it arose, pass on the right of their cave, and when it set, leave them on the left, while they were in its spacious chamber. This is one of the signs of God. Guided indeed is he whom God guideth; but for him whom He misleadeth, thou shalt by no means find a patron.”

What mystery is Bahaullah talking about?

"Blessed are ye who are assembled in the shadow of the Word of God, who are abiding in the cave of the Covenant of God, who are comforted by dwelling in the Paradise of El-Abha" -Abdu’lbaha

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

In a Tablet, Abdulbaha explained a tradition in the Zoroastrians scriptures:

Thou hadst written that in the sacred texts of the followers of Zoroaster it is written that in the latter days, in three separate dispensations, the sun must needs be brought to a standstill. In the first dispensation, it is predicted, the sun will remain motionless for ten days; in the second for twice that time; in the third for no less than one whole month. The interpretation of this prophecy is this: the first Dispensation to which it refers is the Muhammadan Dispensation during which the Sun of Truth stood still for ten days. Each day is reckoned as one century. The Muhammadan Dispensation must have, therefore, lasted no less than one thousand years, which is precisely the period that has elapsed from the setting of the star of the Imamate to the advent of the Dispensation proclaimed by the Bab. The second Dispensation referred to in this prophecy is the one inaugurated by the Bab Himself, which began in the year 1260 A.H. and was brought to a close in the year 1280 A.H. As to the third Dispensation—the Revelation proclaimed by Bahá'u'lláh—inasmuch as the Sun of Truth when attaining that station shineth in the plenitude of its meridian splendor its duration hath been fixed for a period of one whole month, which is the maximum time taken by the sun to pass through a sign of the Zodiac. From this thou canst imagine the magnitude of the Bahá'í cycle—a cycle that must extend over a period of at least five hundred thousand years.

Explanation of a Zoroastrian Prophecy

According to this tradition, a month, which is 30 days, is for the dispensation of Bahaullah.
In some Hadithes, a day can also be counted as 10 years. If the 30 days, each to be counted as 10 years, it means, 300 years. If 300 years counted from the year 9, which is the beginning of the mission of Bahaullah, it comes to the year 309.

InvestigateTruth

If 309 years is the duration of the Bahai dispensation, that means the next manifestation appears in the year 2153 (1844+309).

Interestingly, in a Tablet, Abdulbaha wrote, the Bahais must try to spread the cause, for another 200 years.

Abdulbaha ascended (passed away) in the year 1921. If we count the 200 years, from 1921, it comes to the year 2121. Which is close to 2153. It is obvious, Abdulbaha would not reveal explicitly the exact number of years.

This Tablet is not translated, and can be found in a book written by a Bahai, named, Muhammad Ali Faizy. (Name of his book: Guidance to spreading the cause رساله راهنمای تبلیغ)

Why do you think, Abdulbaha said, spread the cause for another 200 years? Why not more?!

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

These are some statements from Abdulbaha, that may seem, the next Manifestation will come after 1000 years.

"The meaning of this is that any individual who, before the expiry of a full thousand years—years known and clearly established by common usage and requiring no interpretation—should lay claim to a Revelation direct from God, even though he should reveal certain signs, that man is assuredly false and an impostor." - Abdulbaha

Question: why doesn't Abdulbaha say, before 1000 years, God will not speak to humanity? Why doesn't He say, before the 1000 years, no Manifestation will appear?

He says, "any individual who claims to have a direct revelation before 1000 years is imposter"

Is God, the same as "any individual"? Why doesn't Abdulbaha say, before 1000 years, God does not speak to humanity?

He says:

"even though he should reveal certain signs"

Well, what if he reveals not only certain signs, but all the signs? Then what? Why Abdulbaha says "certain signs"?

InvestigateTruth

And just as Abdulbaha wrote in His Will and Testament:

"O ye beloved of the Lord! It is incumbent upon the Guardian of the Cause of God to appoint in his own life-time him that shall become his successor, that differences may not arise after his passing. "

But it only appeared that after Shighi Effendi, there will be another Guardian, perhaps it may only appear, that Abdulbaha is saying before 1000 years, there won't be any Manifestation.

And God can change His plans.

InvestigateTruth

If we consider that, when Abdulbaha wrote, the Bahais must strive to spread the cause for another 200 years, He meant this 200 years to be counted from 1953, which is the beginning of the Bahai crusade, then it means until year 2153, which is the year 309 in Bahai calendar.
The significance of the year 1953, is, that is one of the interpretations the 1335 days, prophesied by Daniel.

arthra

Baha'i
Hey there "Investigate Truth" I see you've been "investigating"!

The only material I found about a "future Manifestation" I'm sure you may have already come across but I'll cite it here:

Future Manifestation of God

On Ridván 1863, the period in which Baháʼu'lláh made public his claim to have received a revelation from God, he stated that the next Manifestation of God will not appear before 1000 years have passed:[1]

"...ere the expiration of one thousand years whosoever advanceth a prophetic claim is false. By “year” a full year is intended, and no exegesis or interpretation is permitted in this matter."

(Baháʼu'lláh, Days of Remembrance, section 9.

In the Kitáb-i-Aqdas Baháʼu'lláh stated:

"Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor. We pray God that He may graciously assist him to retract and repudiate such claim. Should he repent, God will, no doubt, forgive him... Whosoever, interpreteth this verse otherwise than its obvious meaning is deprived of the Spirit of God and of His mercy..."

(Baháʼu'lláh, Kitáb-i-Aqdas, 1873)

In a similar verse he says:

"Should a man appear, ere the lapse of a full thousand years—each year consisting of twelve months according to the Qurʼán, and of nineteen months of nineteen days each, according to the Bayán—and if such a man reveal to your eyes all the signs of God, unhesitatingly reject him!"
(Baháʼu'lláh, quoted in World Order of Baháʼu'lláh)

In the Maʼidiy-i-Asmani, Baháʼu'lláh anticipates a different “proof ” for the next Manifestation of God:

"...we have ordained that a proof other than the revelation of divine verses be produced to vindicate the truth of the next Manifestation."

(Baháʼu'lláh, Ma'idiy-i-Asmani, Vol. IV, 93.)[29]

Baháʼí prophecies - Wikipedia

InvestigateTruth

Hey there "Investigate Truth" I see you've been "investigating"!

The only material I found about a "future Manifestation" I'm sure you may have already come across but I'll cite it here:

Future Manifestation of God

On Ridván 1863, the period in which Baháʼu'lláh made public his claim to have received a revelation from God, he stated that the next Manifestation of God will not appear before 1000 years have passed:[1]

"...ere the expiration of one thousand years whosoever advanceth a prophetic claim is false. By “year” a full year is intended, and no exegesis or interpretation is permitted in this matter."

(Baháʼu'lláh, Days of Remembrance, section 9.

In the Kitáb-i-Aqdas Baháʼu'lláh stated:

"Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor. We pray God that He may graciously assist him to retract and repudiate such claim. Should he repent, God will, no doubt, forgive him... Whosoever, interpreteth this verse otherwise than its obvious meaning is deprived of the Spirit of God and of His mercy..."

(Baháʼu'lláh, Kitáb-i-Aqdas, 1873)

In a similar verse he says:

"Should a man appear, ere the lapse of a full thousand years—each year consisting of twelve months according to the Qurʼán, and of nineteen months of nineteen days each, according to the Bayán—and if such a man reveal to your eyes all the signs of God, unhesitatingly reject him!"
(Baháʼu'lláh, quoted in World Order of Baháʼu'lláh)

In the Maʼidiy-i-Asmani, Baháʼu'lláh anticipates a different “proof ” for the next Manifestation of God:

"...we have ordained that a proof other than the revelation of divine verses be produced to vindicate the truth of the next Manifestation."

(Baháʼu'lláh, Ma'idiy-i-Asmani, Vol. IV, 93.)[29]

Baháʼí prophecies - Wikipedia
Hey Arthra, just noticed your post here, thanks!

I consider the possibility that, just as Muhammad said in the Quran and Hadith that He is the last messenger or Prophet, which caused people to believe there is no other revelations, in Bahai writings there are some statements which serves similar purpose, and at the time of Manifestation, Bahais are tested and must remove the veils. Other thing comes to my mind, is Bahaullah said God can change His own prophecies in Book of Certitude, for example the Noah fixed time of victory, but when the time came the prophecy was not fulfilled. I suppose, when next manifestation comes, if the promise of Victory is not fulfilled, some say, still no troops entry was fulfilled, still the majority are not Bahais, still one thousand years is not fulfilled, how can another manifestation comes?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
In a Tablet, Abdulbaha explained a tradition in the Zoroastrians scriptures:

Thou hadst written that in the sacred texts of the followers of Zoroaster it is written that in the latter days, in three separate dispensations, the sun must needs be brought to a standstill. In the first dispensation, it is predicted, the sun will remain motionless for ten days; in the second for twice that time; in the third for no less than one whole month. The interpretation of this prophecy is this: the first Dispensation to which it refers is the Muhammadan Dispensation during which the Sun of Truth stood still for ten days. Each day is reckoned as one century. The Muhammadan Dispensation must have, therefore, lasted no less than one thousand years, which is precisely the period that has elapsed from the setting of the star of the Imamate to the advent of the Dispensation proclaimed by the Bab. The second Dispensation referred to in this prophecy is the one inaugurated by the Bab Himself, which began in the year 1260 A.H. and was brought to a close in the year 1280 A.H. As to the third Dispensation—the Revelation proclaimed by Bahá'u'lláh—inasmuch as the Sun of Truth when attaining that station shineth in the plenitude of its meridian splendor its duration hath been fixed for a period of one whole month, which is the maximum time taken by the sun to pass through a sign of the Zodiac. From this thou canst imagine the magnitude of the Bahá'í cycle—a cycle that must extend over a period of at least five hundred thousand years.

Explanation of a Zoroastrian Prophecy

According to this tradition, a month, which is 30 days, is for the dispensation of Bahaullah.
In some Hadithes, a day can also be counted as 10 years. If the 30 days, each to be counted as 10 years, it means, 300 years. If 300 years counted from the year 9, which is the beginning of the mission of Bahaullah, it comes to the year 309.
When He says at least five hundred thousand years, He means at least five hundred thousand years.

InvestigateTruth

When He says at least five hundred thousand years, He means at least five hundred thousand years.
You might find this Hadith interesting:

It is narrated from Jabir that he said: I heard Imam Muhammad Baqir (a.s.) say:

“By Allah, after the death of Imam Qaim (a.s.) a person from us Ahle Bayt (a.s.) will rule for 309 years.
I asked: When will this be?
He replied: After the passing away of Imam Qaim (a.s.).
I asked: For how many years will Imam Qaim rule on the earth after reappearance?
He replied: Nineteen years from his reappearance to his death.
I said: Would there will be a great confusion after that?
He replied: Yes, for fifty years. Then Muntasir will do Rajat and he will

The 19 years, is an allusion to the duration of the Laws of Bayan, because Baha'u'llah declared He is a new Manifestation 19 Years after the Bab.

The fifty years, can be an allusion to the apostleship period starting from mission of the Bab in 1843, till ascension of Baha'u'llah.

The 309 Years is an allusion to the duration of the One who comes after Qaim. Meaning if the Bab is the Qaim, then Baha'u'llah will rule for 309 years!

This same Hadith is also reported through another chain and attributed to Imam Sadigh as well.

Also, yet in another Hadith it is said:

Imam Baqir (a.s.) said: “Qaim (a.s.) shall rule for 309 years – equal to the number of years the folks of the cave slept in their cave – he would fill up the earth with justice and equity just as it would be fraught with injustice and oppression. Then the Almighty Allah would conquer the whole earth for him.

The evidence for these Hadithes are in the Quran Surrah of the Cave:

"And they remained in their cave for three hundred years and exceeded by nine."

Surrah Cave, 25

When I read, this verse in the context, I see the story is an allusion to the period of the religion of Qaim.
The Bab said, He is the cave.

So, I feel certain, now. The next Manifestation comes in the year 309 in Bahai Calander.

In the story of Noah, which is an allusion to Baha'u'llah's revelation, it is said the length of the Ark is 300. I see that as 300 years, starting from year 9, when mission of Baha'u'llah started.

InvestigateTruth

Something that got my attention today, when I thought about what Baha'u'llah said in Iqan:

"Among the Prophets was Noah. For nine hundred and fifty years He prayerfully exhorted His people and summoned them to the haven of security and peace. "

Here Baha'u'llah says, that Noah, for 950 years, tried to guide His people!

Where as, Quran or the Bible says, Noah died at the age of 950!

If Noah started at age 1 year old to guide people, then, when He dies at age 950, we can say, that for 950 years He guided people. But, the mission of the Prophets, including Noah, did not start when they were a baby.

From this, I understand that, when Quran or the Bible says, Noah lived 950 years, it is talking about the period, His teachings was meant to be a guide for His people.