• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i -- What have you done for me lately...or ever?

ppp

I keep getting told that the Baha'i are all about equality and the oneness of humanity. I have poked through some of their history and have a hard time discerning how those principles manifests in reality.

With regards to social equality and justice, what practical efforts and tangible support have the Baha'i as an organization lent to any of the safety, enfranchisement, or suffrage movements over the last century or so?

Abolition
Labor Movement
Child Labor Laws
Women's Suffrage
Support of Indigenous Peoples
Civil Rights
Marriage Equality (race, religion, preference, etc)
Equal Access to Credit
Equal Access to Education
Employment Equality
Police Reform
Bodily Autonomy
Food Security
Election Reform
Universal Health Coverage
Trans Rights
Other

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I keep getting told that the Baha'i are all about equality and the oneness of humanity
Baha'i -- What have you done for me lately?

This question I would never ask
Spirituality has nothing to do with that question

Quite demanding also

ppp

I don't think the Bahai deserve to be singled out here. Many religions, and also secular society haven't exactly succeeded in these areas either.
One, I didn't say succeeded. I said, lent practical efforts and tangible support. That is not a measure of success, but merely a question of effort to enact the principles that one claims to live by.

As for singling out...I am not sure that is true. While I do deplore many of the principles of the other Abrahamic religions, they have all made considerable efforts to enact their principles. And sometimes... sometimes...making the world a better place in the bargain.

While Christianity didn't invent hospitals, it did formalize and spread the process. Islam went a long way to enacting religious tolerance and separately, advancing human knowledge with early formalized science before the fall of their empire into fundamentalism. Jews were the strongest and most involved allies to the civil Rights movements in the south during the 50s and 60s.

I'm not singling out Baha'i because it hasn't succeeded. I'm asking for an instance where bahai has made a practical and tangible effort to help.

And for all I know, there have been many. Or even one. I just don't know what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

ppp

Baha'i -- What have you done for me lately?

This question I would never ask
Spirituality has nothing to do with that question

Quite demanding also
It is definitely a question that I would ask. Obviously.

I didn't ask about spirituality. I asked for a practical and tangible efforts.

And yes. It is my moral obligation to make that demand and many other demands of philosophies (religious or otherwise) that assert their moral ascendancy.

ppp

More than 24 hours and not a single example of tangible Baha'i effort or support at a positive impact on society. Merely indignation that someone would have the audacity to even ask the question.

Peace

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I keep getting told that the Baha'i are all about equality and the oneness of humanity. I have poked through some of their history and have a hard time discerning how those principles manifests in reality.

With regards to social equality and justice, what practical efforts and tangible support have the Baha'i as an organization lent to any of the safety, enfranchisement, or suffrage movements over the last century or so?

Abolition
Labor Movement
Child Labor Laws
Women's Suffrage
Civil Rights
Equal Access to Credit
Employment Equality
Police Reform
Bodily Autonomy
Food Security
Election Reform
Trans Rights
Other
You can read about some things the Baha'is are doing on the Baha'i World News Service.

https://news.bahai.org/

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well I can put you on my happy not to view list.

Hope that would be of benefit to you? After all you seem very distracted by Baha'i and spending far too much time saying the same thing.

Whoop's, that may mean I am too!

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Food Security

My yard is all fruiting plants and trees, also I have chickens.

20221002_121919.jpg

Many of my friends in this neck of the wood, also try to sustain some self grown produce. Does that help?

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Labor Movement

There is no retirement in the Baha'i Faith, we work and support ourselves to the day we are planted.

Also work is worship, we do work to the best of our ability, are loyal, hard working and honest.

Also everyone must find work of some description, we cannot expect others to pay our way, but of course, those with genuine needs will be supported by the community.

The Faith has some writings to guide us to acheive a spiritual solution to the economic problems the world faces.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This is a major principle of the Faith to which Baha'i live by.

The Baha'i had school for girls in Iran in the early 1900's that were very successful.

Shame others did not see the priority in giving women an equal chance in education and they were outlawed, In fact 9 women were executed as a result.

One being Mona. Everyone should know her story, a true heroine indeed!

Mona Mahmudnizhad - Wikipedia

Regards Tony

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Abolition
Labor Movement
Child Labor Laws
Women's Suffrage
Civil Rights
Equal Access to Credit
Employment Equality
Police Reform
Bodily Autonomy
Food Security
Election Reform
Trans Rights
Other

Such a post is quite amusing. You have spent countless hours saying how insignificant the Baha'i Faith is in the world, yet you post a list that appears to offer that the small number of Baha'i should be able to fixing everything!

Rest assured we are trying. Some of your issues we do not get involved in.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
More than 24 hours and not a single example of tangible Baha'i effort or support at a positive impact on society. Merely indignation that someone would have the audacity to even ask the question.

Peace

What makes you think any Baha'i can view your posts? I could not for a while, then I come back to this.

Better go find that happy button again.

Regards Tony

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
This is a major principle of the Faith to which Baha'i live by.

The Baha'i had school for girls in Iran in the early 1900's that were very successful.

Shame others did not see the priority in giving women an equal chance in education and they were outlawed, In fact 9 women were executed as a result.

One being Mona. Everyone should know her story, a true heroine indeed!

Mona Mahmudnizhad - Wikipedia

Regards Tony
It seems she was executed for Bahai proselytising rather than for promoting education in general.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Baha'i Faith is really small, and in no way can go all out and build hospitals and the like due to their size. If they maintain a building in a large city, that's quite the expense right there. Religion isn't cheap. There are definitely costs to it. That said, some individuals of various faiths and non-faiths can be and are very charitable with time and money. Most are rather humble and don't say much about it, as they don't see it as some contest to see who can be the nicest. Older larger faiths can and do do a lot more as groups. Here in my city we have various established churches who run charities, like the Salvation Army, Catholic Social Services, or the Sikh langars. Each Sikh gurdwara here probably has at least 2000 regular attendees, and hence have huge numbers to draw on. The Baha'i faith, OTOH, probably has less than 100 people total, and they do own a building. Lots of the Baha'i money also goes to the NSA of Canada for various organisational things and paid staff. So it's not easy at all. At one time I found a list of LSA's in Canada and had read the finances. The Canadian government keeps track of charities and expenses, and it's all public knowledge.

Editted to provide link ... National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'is of Canada