• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i faith and understanding Islam

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I believe in progressive revelation and I believe that Baha'u'llah is the manifestation of God for our time. Hence I became a Baha'i.
I also feel that the Baha'i faith builds on Islam and because of this I have a need to gain a better understanding of Islam.
Anyone else feel the same?

arthra

Baha'i
Understanding Islam is important as the Faith grew out of Islamic culture and more specifically Shiah Islam..

- Art

Steinninn

Viking
I believe in progressive revelation and I believe that Baha'u'llah is the manifestation of God for our time. Hence I became a Baha'i.
I also feel that the Baha'i faith builds on Islam and because of this I have a need to gain a better understanding of Islam.
Anyone else feel the same?

Oh yea, defenetly. i was traveling in muslim countries a couple of years ago, I wasn't bahai at the time, but it had a big influence on me and part of why i became bahai (among many many other things). Now I want to learn even more about islam. Who Muhammed was and the history of the religion.

Cosmos

Understanding Islam is a fundamental, yes! As a former Muslim who came into the Baha'i Faith through personal research into the proofs of the religion, I wish to reflect on the counsel of the Guardian Shoghi Effendi:

“With regard to the school’s program (Louhelen) for the next summer; the Guardian would certainly advise, and even urge the friends to make a thorough study of the Qur’án, as the knowledge of this sacred Scripture is absolutely indispensable for every believer who wishes to adequately understand and intelligently read, the writings of Bahá’u’lláh. Although there are very few persons among Western Bahá’ís who are capable of handling such a course in a scholarly way, the mere lack of such competent teachers should encourage and stimulate the believers to get better acquainted with the Sacred Scriptures of Islám. In this way, there will gradually appear some distinguished Bahá’ís who will be so well versed in the teachings of Islám as to be able to guide the believers in their study of that religion.”

It has always amazed me since joining my local Baha'i community at how lacking in knowledge even fellow Baha'is are in Islamic knowledge, let alone the rest of Americans!

Over and over Shoghi Effendi advises us to study the religion of Islam so as to perfect our understanding of the Baha'i Faith, as this is the root to our religious tradition. In fact, I've noticed amongst new Baha'is and Seekers that Islam is something not often meditated on or considered, and people seem to want to rely on former Muslims or Middle Easterners to explain to them Islamic history and concepts. As we mature and develop as Baha'is we must educate ourselves to become comparative religionists, studying the Golden Rule or Thread, and the prophetic proofs that link religious history.

Last edited: