• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i and scientific miracles

Eihab

Journalist
Hi friends,
You know that Islam's adherents always speak about Scientific miracles to prove that Islam is the only true religion and it is from God. and I do believe that any religion can speak about this issue but I have never heard about scientific miracles in Baha'i and this is maybe because of my ignorance abut Baha'i, but I want to listen about this from you.
Thanks in advanced.

Boethiah

Penguin
As far as I know (and I can be quite limited sometimes), there really aren't any "scientific miracles" to speak of. I'm not even sure what that means, to be honest. Could you care to elaborate on that?

But, the coexistence of Science and Religion is very important in the Baha'i Faith:

IV. -- The fourth principle of Bahá'u'lláh is:
The Unity of Religion and Science
We may think of science as one wing and religion as the other; a bird needs two wings for flight, one alone would be useless. Any religion that contradicts science

Page 131
or that is opposed to it, is only ignorance -- for ignorance is the opposite of knowledge.

Religion which consists only of rites and ceremonies of prejudice is not the truth. Let us earnestly endeavour to be the means of uniting religion and science.
Abdul Baha: Paris Talks, pg 130-131

Eihab

Journalist
Hi Boethiag,
Could you care to elaborate on that?
Like many Muslims when they speak about scientific miracles in the Qur'an, for example when scientists speak about fetuses, then we find Muslims say: this is in mentioned in Qur'an before 1400 years, it's very common Boethiag, just try to write scientific miracle in Google.
by the way, I'm curious about the picture you put beside your name , would you explain it or say some information about it.
Thanks.
Eihab,

Boethiah

Penguin
Hi Boethiag,

Like many Muslims when they speak about scientific miracles in the Qur'an, for example when scientists speak about fetuses, then we find Muslims say: this is in mentioned in Qur'an before 1400 years, it's very common Boethiag, just try to write scientific miracle in Google.
by the way, I'm curious about the picture you put beside your name , would you explain it or say some information about it.
Thanks.
Eihab,

Ah, I suppose it is. Well, my answer would be that there aren't "Scientific Miracles" per se. Baha'is believe that Science and Spirituality should coexist together, and if one were to exist without the other things would become imbalanced.

Science is the means of uncovering more about the physical world around us. This is a human pursuit of curiosity and the desire to learn more, something that humans as cognitive creatures exercise. If one could call that a miracle, then we might have scientific miracles. There aren't really any scientific revelations though (although it might depend on how one could define "science").

Like I said, there could very well be something in some texts I have not read yet. I can only give the extent of my knowledge.

Also, my profile picture is of a captured German member of the Volkssturm, which was a militia army of people from anywhere between 16 and 60 to defend Germany against the invading Soviets near 1944 and 1945. It was a last ditch effort. I found this picture and the man's gaze still makes me unsettled.

Sen McGlinn

The equivalent in the Bahai Faith would be Baha'u'llah writing :

Strange and astonishing things exist in the earth but they are hidden from the minds and the understanding of men. These things are capable of changing the whole atmosphere of the earth and their contamination would prove lethal.
(Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 69)

and some Bahais saying, he is talking about atomic energy, which in his day was not known to science. Maybe. Or perhaps it is oil, and its use leading to global warming. Or perhaps it was nothing specific, just a general observation of nature's potential, and humans' tendency to misuse whatever it discovers.

There are also historic predictions which have come true, about the general evolution of the world towards unity, and about specifics such as:

O banks of the Rhine! We have seen you covered with gore, inasmuch as the swords of retribution were drawn against you; and you shall have another turn.
(The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 53)

That looks like the two world wars, and Germany suffering retribution. The problem with such a "proof" is that the following paragraph speaks of a King in Tehran who will "rule with justice, [and]...turn his face towards, and extend his favours unto, the people of Baha."

You could say that any prediction that hasn't come true, might come true tomorrow. But a king returning to Tehran is not so likely. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples in the Bahai writings where king and kingship are used to refer to national governments of any form, just as we speak of 'the Crown" in English meaning the government and its apparatus.

BruceDLimber

No one is in a position to predict what will eventually occur in Iran or anyplace else!

As to miracles, the REASON you don't hear much about miracles from Baha'is (even though we stipulate that they exist and that there have been miracles in Baha'i history) is that our scriptures EXPLICITLY PROHIBIT teaching the Faith using miracles as any sort of "proof!"

You can read about this in more detail in the Baha'i scriptures by examining the chapter on miracles in 'Abdu'l-Baha's Some Answered Questions, which you can find here:

Part Two -- Some Christian Subjects

Regards, :)

Bruce