• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bagels and Lox {A Brief History Lesson

Cooky

Veteran Member
Lox's gets its origin from Scandinavia, where fishermen mastered the art of preserving salmon in a saltwater brine"

"Bagels made an appearance in China and then glamorized in Italy around the 14th century. The capers came from Italy, while cream cheese has roots in Britain. So, lox or bagels did not originally come from New York City. Nor did cream cheese or capers for that matter. New Yorkers were the ones that put them together and it made a really awesome combination. It is a mystery as to when the fish and the bagel were first eaten together.

According to journalist Heather Smith in her a long piece on bagels and lox, published in 2012 of the late publication Meatpaper, In the 1960s, bagels really flourished, mostly thanks to the Lenders brothers."

bagels-and-lox.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have heard of bagels with cream cheese but not of lox. Do you think catfish would work?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I have heard of bagels with cream cheese but not of lox. Do you think catfish would work?

No. Not at all... :)

You just need to find yourself a Jewish deli or cafe that serves breakfast -there you can enjoy some Lox (Einstein Bagels also has it I believe).

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
No. Not at all... :)

You just need to find yourself a Jewish deli or cafe that serves breakfast -there you can enjoy some Lox (Einstein Bagels also has it I believe).
That could be difficult to find. The neighboring states are Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee and Arkansas. Which one has a Jewish deli?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Lox's gets its origin from Scandinavia, where fishermen mastered the art of preserving salmon in a saltwater brine"

"Bagels made an appearance in China and then glamorized in Italy around the 14th century. The capers came from Italy, while cream cheese has roots in Britain. So, lox or bagels did not originally come from New York City. Nor did cream cheese or capers for that matter. New Yorkers were the ones that put them together and it made a really awesome combination. It is a mystery as to when the fish and the bagel were first eaten together.

According to journalist Heather Smith in her a long piece on bagels and lox, published in 2012 of the late publication Meatpaper, In the 1960s, bagels really flourished, mostly thanks to the Lenders brothers."

View attachment 25161
Interesting History lesson! Bagels are terrific. They're chewy, and also have a nice crust when toasted. Cream cheese greatly adds to the cooking possibilities. I will eventually find some lox and see what the excitement is about.

David1967

Premium Member
Interesting History lesson! Bagels are terrific. They're chewy, and also have a nice crust when toasted. Cream cheese greatly adds to the cooking possibilities. I will eventually find some lox and see what the excitement is about.

When I got off work today I went to the grocery store. No Lox! So sad.