• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad salutes

turk179

I smell something....
As a large amount of U.S. citizens are aware, Obama gave a pretty rough salute the other day which stirred up a bunch of controversy. Personally I think the controversy surrounding the salute is ridiculous but that is a discussion for another section of the forums. With that said, here are some of best salutes I could find on the internet. Salutes with special meanings that until now were only understood by the President. I will translate.

The "Is my latte ringing?" salute

The "It's too bright out!" salute

turk179

I smell something....
From what I understand it was something that Reagan had started doing on a regular basis. Why they continue to return salutes now is beyond me.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
If all the people who hollered and shouted complaints about this sloppy salute had a slew of cameras pointed at them 24/7 while out in public, I'm sure they'd have a few faux pas caught on tape, too.

I asked my husband and father who are both ex military their thoughts about this half salute and they basically said, "It's no big deal. We know he respects soldiers and usually salutes with honor." Next controversy, please. This one is lame.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
From what I understand it was something that Reagan had started doing on a regular basis. Why they continue to return salutes now is beyond me.

I wonder what would happen if Obama didn't salute at all. The Right would probably have kittens.

turk179

I smell something....
If all the people who hollered and shouted complaints about this sloppy salute had a slew of cameras pointed at them 24/7 while out in public, I'm sure they'd have a few faux pas caught on tape, too.

I asked my husband and father who are both ex military their thoughts about this half salute and they basically said, "It's no big deal. We know he respects soldiers and usually salutes with honor." Next controversy, please. This one is lame.
Ex military myself and I've seen my share of bad salutes, usually from officers. I even got one returned to me with a golf club in hand. I didn't find it offensive then, just funny. Why would I find a civilian's salute offensive, presidential or not.

9-10ths_Penguin said:
I wonder what would happen if Obama didn't salute at all. The Right would probably have kittens.
Most people complaining probably don't even know how to salute.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Most people complaining probably don't even know how to salute.
That's funny you mention this because when my husband is being bossy and I give him a salute in mock submission, he always tells me I'm doing it wrong. Still haven't figured out the correct technique. Ha!

A

angellous_evangellous

If we did the Sieg Hiel, we wouldn't have this problem.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No...really....is it a joke?
Do people and politicians still salute?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I become Grand Poobah of Americastan, I won't salute.
It would be creepy for both me & the soldiers. (I'm an old draft dodger, you know.)
So I'll give a slight nod....especially if Pai Mei is in the group.