• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad News for X-Men Fans:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No excess mutations in the children of Chernobyl survivors, new study finds

There have been no excess mutations in the children of Chernobyl survivors. The radiation did not significantly increase DNM's (DeNovo Mutations, or new mutations) in the offspring of those exposed to the radiation:

"Working with colleagues at the Broad Institute, Chanock’s team sequenced the genomes of 105 parents and 130 children born between 1987 and 2002. Numbers of DNMs were no greater than those seen in the general population—even at the highest radiation doses, the researchers report today in Science."

Where are we ever going to get our mutants from? One point that the article mentioned:

"The only proven risk factor for a greater number of these so-called de novo mutations (DNMs) is a father’s age—the older he is, the more DNMs in his sperm. "

I am 64 years old ladies;)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The government would say that though
/s

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How is that bad for X-Men fans? It seems more problematic for fans of the Hulk and Spiderman. Not the Xmen who were just born that way. This also includes Deadpool and his superior use of his mouth, lmao.
The government would say that though
They're scared of Magneto. They say this so they don't risk drawing the ire and fury and wrath of the Brotherhood.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How is that bad for X-Men fans? It seems more problematic for fans of the Hulk and Spiderman. Not the Xmen who were just born that way. This also includes Deadpool and his superior use of his mouth, lmao.

They're scared of Magneto. They say this so they don't risk drawing the ire and fury and wrath of the Brotherhood.
Superman was born on another world and is not human. Human mutations have no effect on whether he is "super" or not. The Hulk is also not a case of mutations of his parents DNA. He was directly affected by gamma radiation. Someone did not invest in enough comic books as a child..The X-MEN are supposed to be "mutants". No mutations, or rather, no more mutations than any other human, makes Chernobyl no more of a likely source of mutants than Hawaii.

Kids these days. They just don't read the classics.:rolleyes:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
He's DC.
The Hulk is also not a case of mutations of his parents DNA. He was directly affected by gamma radiation.
That's why I said it sounds like bad new for him and Spidey. They were accidents of genetic mutations.
No mutations, or rather, no more mutations than any other human, makes Chernobyl no more of a likely source of mutants than Hawaii.
Yup. And that's always been a HUGE point of the X-men that ties it into real world stuff and keeps it fresh from the days of Civil Rights, through AIDs and LGBT rights, with new story arcs easily made by reflecting on bigotry towards those who are different.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Correct. That does not change anything.

That's why I said it sounds like bad new for him and Spidey. They were accidents of genetic mutations.

Yup. And that's always been a HUGE point of the X-men that ties it into real world stuff and keeps it fresh from the days of Civil Rights, through AIDs and LGBT rights, with new story arcs easily made by reflecting on bigotry towards those who are different.
But not of inherited mutations. That is where the X-MEN get their powers from. This makes the X-MEN even more improbable. Spider-Man and the Hulk were already pretty much toast on their own. The point is that those two did not rely on mutations from their parents.

I guess to be more realistic the X-MEN should have been children of weddings like this one:

smith-marshall-resized.jpg

We Never Know

No Slack
No excess mutations in the children of Chernobyl survivors, new study finds

There have been no excess mutations in the children of Chernobyl survivors. The radiation did not significantly increase DNM's (DeNovo Mutations, or new mutations) in the offspring of those exposed to the radiation:

"Working with colleagues at the Broad Institute, Chanock’s team sequenced the genomes of 105 parents and 130 children born between 1987 and 2002. Numbers of DNMs were no greater than those seen in the general population—even at the highest radiation doses, the researchers report today in Science."

Where are we ever going to get our mutants from? One point that the article mentioned:

"The only proven risk factor for a greater number of these so-called de novo mutations (DNMs) is a father’s age—the older he is, the more DNMs in his sperm. "

I am 64 years old ladies;)

And yet.....

DESPITE LOOKING NORMAL, CHERNOBYL'S ANIMALS AND PLANTS ARE MUTANTS.
There may be no three-headed cows roaming around, but scientists have noted significant genetic changes in organisms affected by the disaster. According to a 2001 study in Biological Conservation, Chernobyl-caused genetic mutations in plants and animals increased by a factor of 20. Among breeding birds in the region, rare species suffered disproportional effects from the explosion’s radiation compared to common species. Further research is needed to understand how the increased mutations affect species’ reproductive rates, population size, genetic diversity, and other survival factors.

8 Facts About the Animals of Chernobyl

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And yet.....

DESPITE LOOKING NORMAL, CHERNOBYL'S ANIMALS AND PLANTS ARE MUTANTS.
There may be no three-headed cows roaming around, but scientists have noted significant genetic changes in organisms affected by the disaster. According to a 2001 study in Biological Conservation, Chernobyl-caused genetic mutations in plants and animals increased by a factor of 20. Among breeding birds in the region, rare species suffered disproportional effects from the explosion’s radiation compared to common species. Further research is needed to understand how the increased mutations affect species’ reproductive rates, population size, genetic diversity, and other survival factors.

8 Facts About the Animals of Chernobyl
That is understandable. Human exposure was rather limited. I would not be surprised if animal exposure was on the order of one hundred times as great, merely spread out over a long period of time. I do wish that that article was a bit more specific in mutations found.

The article I linked is good news for people that lived around Fukashima since their exposure would have been even less.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Correct. That does not change anything.
He has no ties to the X-Men. Not even to an Avernger. He's carrot in a discussion about fruit, no mutations at all as far as we know.
But not of inherited mutations. That is where the X-MEN get their powers from. This makes the X-MEN even more improbable. Spider-Man and the Hulk were already pretty much toast on their own. The point is that those two did not rely
Yes, the X-Men were born that way.
Spidey and Hulk not so much. They have more to lose from this story than the X-Men who are natural mutants. If Chernobyl radiation isn't creating these mutants from survivors, it's looking at the superheros who got their abilities from things like radioactive spider bites or blasts of gamma radiation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
He has no ties to the X-Men. Not even to an Avernger. He's carrot in a discussion about fruit, no mutations at all as far as we know.

Yes, the X-Men were born that way.
Spidey and Hulk not so much. They have more to lose from this story than the X-Men who are natural mutants. If Chernobyl radiation isn't creating these mutants from survivors, it's looking at the superheros who got their abilities from things like radioactive spider bites or blasts of gamma radiation.
What!!?? Say it ain't so!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Oh sure, “believe the media.”

I was just joking, really.

But my dreams of real life XMen have indeed been crushed :(
Ah yes the Schrödinger's Cat defence: your remark was meant both seriously and as a joke - until someone comments on it and then it collapses into whichever is most expeditious. :D

This work is a serious - and potentially quite important - piece of science, properly reported and peer-reviewed. Nothing to do with the media or governments, so far as I can see.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Ah yes the Schrödinger's Cat defence: it's meant both seriously and as a joke - until someone comments on it and then it collapses into whichever is most expeditious. :D
Lol I was hoping someone would catch the meme reference. Get it? It’s a “cover up” like it sometimes is in the comics?

You honestly think I was doubting the actual science behind this? Seriously? Why would I?
You know what, lesson learnt, next time I’ll add in a smiley emoji.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
This work is a serious - and potentially quite important - piece of science, properly reported and peer-reviewed. Nothing to do with the media or governments, so far as I can see.
You know what? I apologise. I assumed people would pick up on my snark. Because I assumed no one would take such a comment at face value and in good faith.
Like who would question the validity of such a study?
Yeah, that was my bad. We humans are dumb like that. I mean anti vaxers are a thing, right? Sheesh!
Should have made it more obvious in hindsight

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But my dreams of real life XMen have indeed been crushed :(
At times I think it would be cool, but then I realize how powerful and deadly someone like Magneto could actually be (not really that many places on Earth (including living organisms) that are free of metals).
A real life Deadpool would be awesome. A real life Wolverine is scarier than a nightmare if he's not on your side. (and even those two, particularly Wolverine, are beyond highly vulnerable to Magneto). Same with the ones like Storm and Jean Grey. And if they all joined the Brotherhood, there'd be peace among humans and mutants because we'd be so heavily repressed there'd be nothing we do about it.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
At times I think it would be cool, but then I realize how powerful and deadly someone like Magneto could actually be (not really that many places on Earth (including living organisms) that are free of metals).
A real life Deadpool would be awesome. A real life Wolverine is scarier than a nightmare if he's not on your side. (and even those two, particularly Wolverine, are beyond highly vulnerable to Magneto). Same with the ones like Storm and Jean Grey. And if they all joined the Brotherhood, there'd be peace among humans and mutants because we'd be so heavily repressed there'd be nothing we do about it.
That’s.....a really good point. Still a real life Deadpool does sound like a fair trade off for my freedoms lol

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That’s.....a really good point. Still a real life Deadpool does sound like a fair trade off for my freedoms lol
There never would be a dull moment with him around. Not ever. And especially great times when some uptight prude loses it around him because Deadpool is everything the prude despises. :tearsofjoy:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Lol I was hoping someone would catch the meme reference. Get it? It’s a “cover up” like it sometimes is in the comics?

You honestly think I was doubting the actual science behind this? Seriously? Why would I?
You know what, lesson learnt, next time I’ll add in a smiley emoji.
Sadly they are sometimes necessary when posting. I have had the same trouble. People that know you will laugh at your joke. The problem is that there are crazies out there that post on forums regularly. And if a person does not know you sometimes even though it steps on the joke a bit smiles do help.