• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad Diet During Pregnacy.. Abuse?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
I think the gate is much wider than some people think..

Here's another question:
Why are children, pets, and other custodies and possessions so much a concern of outside parties? Especially if they have no initial relation to those parties?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here's another question:
Why are children, pets, and other custodies and possessions so much a concern of outside parties? Especially if they have no initial relation to those parties?

A child is not a possession. Parents are the stewards of children, not their owners.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Here's another question:

Parents are considered guardians, not owners.

As for the original question? A bad diet during pregnancy will affect the woman as well. Her health affects the health of the fetus.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Here's another question:

probably because we all have a sense of justice and right and wrong and we are philanthropists by nature... if we see someone in danger, we want to help them. We want to protect those who cannot protect themselves....its everyones responsibility.

if we fail to help when its in our power, we are not being ethical.

Treks

I study with a pregnant lady who will only eat "organic" food but she smokes cigarettes. o_O

Sleeppy

Parents are considered guardians, not owners.

As for the original question? A bad diet during pregnancy will affect the woman as well. Her health affects the health of the fetus.

Guardian is an oversimplification. The parents oversee everything, from the genes outward.

Ok. We know what bad diet does to both mother and child alike. At what point is it child abuse and acceptable for outside parties to step in?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
After seeing children with FAS and crack babies, I don't think I can answer any other way but yes. A child may still have special needs, even if the mother ate perfectly well, didn't smoke or drink or do drugs, etc. while pregnant- But some special needs can be prevented.

Sleeppy

probably because we all have a sense of justice and right and wrong and we are philanthropists by nature... if we see someone in danger, we want to help them. We want to protect those who cannot protect themselves....its everyones responsibility.

if we fail to help when its in our power, we are not being ethical.

I agree. And I'd like to take gas guzzling cars and cigarrettes (among other pollutants) out of use. What rights should I have to make this happen?

Sleeppy

After seeing children with FAS and crack babies, I don't think I can answer any other way but yes. A child may still have special needs, even if the mother ate perfectly well, didn't smoke or drink or do drugs, etc. while pregnant- But some special needs can be prevented.

I agree. Should outside parties decide how pregnant women are allowed to eat?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree. Should outside parties decide how pregnant women are allowed to eat?

I don't think we can go that far. The best we can do is give guidelines. The majority of pregnant women do eat correctly and don't smoke and all that. Maybe doing drugs or drinking while pregnancy can be called child endangerment but even that is murky. I, personally, wouldn't want some social worker standing over my shoulder while I ate my lunch if I could get pregnant again.

Sleeppy

I don't think we can go that far. The best we can do is give guidelines. The majority of pregnant women do eat correctly and don't smoke and all that. Maybe doing drugs or drinking while pregnancy can be called child endangerment but even that is murky. I, personally, wouldn't want some social worker standing over my shoulder while I ate my lunch if I could get pregnant again.

Individual privacy supercedes prevention of child abuse by law vigilantes?

Treks

It also puts abortion on shakey ground.

What, so I can't eat this bag of french fries but it's A-OK for me to kill the little fella?