• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back To The Basics

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I've watched 'Naked and Afraid' too often to be convinced that clothing is a need. Air, water, food, fire, shelter, definitely. Clothing is nice, but not really a need if the others are well met.

The need for other people seems to vary considerably from person to person.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think that's a want. People can survive without purpose. In fact, many wander through life without it.
Ok, ok... how about this?

Other than food, shelter and clothing, what more does an individual need?

In addition to the items above ( and apparently a bic lighter ) individuals need to defecate. It's a totally basic universal need. Yes?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, ok... how about this?

In addition to the items above ( and apparently a bic lighter ) individuals need to defecate. It's a totally basic universal need. Yes?

Oh crap. I forgot about that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've watched 'Naked and Afraid' too often to be convinced that clothing is a need. Air, water, food, fire, shelter, definitely. Clothing is nice, but not really a need if the others are well met.

The need for other people seems to vary considerably from person to person.
Is this right? "clothing is a need...but not really a need".
Naked and Afraid can be convincing that clothing is not a need.

amorphous_constellation

I think that maybe your premise takes a complicated turn when you use the word 'individual.' An individual could truly seek or want anything, seeing that such a being has broken through the crust of integration. Is this entity so competitive that pursuits become zero sum goals? He defines purpose, does he chose not to have one, or has he sculpted idiosyncratic purpose to the finest detail? Maybe he only needs a dog, maybe he has no purpose. Maybe he needs to be at a party all the time, and pursue high offices

Clara Tea

Big quake in California soon. They need medical attn, in addition to food, clothing, and shelter, as most emergencies require.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Other than food, shelter and clothing, what more does an individual need? My first addition would be other people.
What a person needs is maturity, self respect or self love which then overflows onto other things that they perceive then to be positive. If I go into the specifics it sounds very negative like Economics, but overall its not actually depressing. I think each person has a tiny, powerful ingot of craving. That is the battery which runs our brains, and its energy has to be frustrated in many complicated ways in order to force us into being people. To keep it simple: You're playdough, and your desire is the Playdough Fun Factory which forces you through a plastic die into a very long fun shape.