• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bach, non-Christian music? wtf?

Zlot

Dinogrrl said:
The religious music era never really existed. Yes, there were times and places where it was banned/forbidden, but it was never completely outlawed over all of Europe.

Vivaldi lived before Bach (at least, he did a good deal of his living and composing before Bach), while it is true that his operas were forbidden in a couple places (which was due to his lifestyle/personality/anger of his sponsors, NOT the content of the music), he wrote a great number of operas...most of which were, to the best of my knowledge, not Christian.

True, the beginning of Western music is rooted in religious music. But remember that Europe is a collection of a bunch of countries, and rarely have they ever all enforced the same law(s) at the same time (for example, the bannination of non-church music you cited). They were at war with each other most of the time. :}~
If the religious music era never exsisted in catholic religious rule than no music(especially) pagan was allowed.

Vivaldi was 8 yrs older then Bach.

The war was a christian crusade to reform you to the christian belief or kill you.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
Okay, honestly, the only sentence I understand in that post was the one about Vivaldi's age. I'm going to need about a week to translate the rest of that.

*utterly confused*