• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bach, non-Christian music? wtf?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Umm... I'd say the entire program is wack, let alone the music restrictions!

• [*]Kids in the program are not allowed to speak to anyone, not even their parents, for at least the first two days.
    [*]Kids are not allowed to go anywhere unless they are accompanied by at least two other participants, one of which has to have at least 8 weeks of prior indoctrination.
    [*]Kids are not allowed to keep a journal or a diary
    [*]Kids are not allowed to discuss what goes on in the program with anyone, not even their parents
    [*]Kids are not allowed to have contact with any family members other than parents, who also go through the program
    [*]Kids are not allowed to have any physical contact with any human being other than a hand shake or a pat on the shoulder, and only when authorized.
    [*]Kids are not allowed outside of a small geographic area within Memphis, even if accompanied by parents, without prior written authorization
    [*]Kids are not allowed to listen to any music that is not explicitly Christian (Bach and Beethoven are specifically forbidden as being non-Christian)
    [*]Kids are not permitted to enter restaurants that serve alcohol
    [*]Kids are not allowed to speak after 9:00 p.m. under any circumstance
    [*]Kids may be placed in a state of isolation where they are not allowed to communicate with one another

And this is supposed to "ex-gay" the kids? IMHO, this will merely traumatize them and destroy their lives. Not allowed to talk after 9:00? This is dehumanization, torture, and an affront to civil rights. I wish someone put me in that program, so I could rebel against it. It's fine for an adult who might want to try becoming heterosexual (impossible, by the way), but these kids are forced to do this! An assault on human rights! :mad:

:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
To reference Good Omens... of course he couldn't be Christian. Hell has all the best musicians. ;)

Dinogrrl

peeb!
Wow...okay, I had hoped this would stay a discussion about...you know...stupid people and music or something, not into a 'let's bash the stupid camp thing!' fest, but whatever. Guess that's what I get for posting that link. >>

Stormygale

If there is anyone in the world who can say something to stir up trouble, then it will happen. If there is anyone in this world who can stir up that trouble to get their name in the paper for a brief second in time, it will occur. If their name is in the paper, and all the other jerks who seek the same attention see this occur, then, all those other jerks will complain about something to complain about to reach the same plateau.
With all the libs, and leftwingers, and treesavers, and whale savers, and hypocrites of the world out there crying about every Tom, Dick, and Sally, things like Bach being called a satanist will happen....lol.
If Bach made evil music, well, I hope he is in Hell playing his dramatic melodies for the minions who might know what good taste in music actually is...lol.
Anyway....

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This prohibition of JS Bach's music had me scratching my head too, Dinogrrl. I was under the impression he was a very devout church organist.

Does anyone know what the specific objection to him is?

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I have no idea o_O. And yes, he was a church organist for the better portion of his life.

I dunno. Maybe the objection is to the fact that he had a terrible temper. *shrug*

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
They did say "explicitly Christian". Maybe they want only music designated as "Christian".

Seriously though, Handel is a "more Christian" composer than Beethoven or Bach. Maybe that's the "barline".

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
With all the libs, and leftwingers, and treesavers, and whale savers, and hypocrites of the world out there crying about every Tom, Dick, and Sally, things like Bach being called a satanist will happen....lol.

... It's not liberals or leftwingers or treesavers or whale savers who are calling Bach unChristian. It's Christians themselves.

groovydancer88

"In 1707, Bach... was appointed organist in Muhlhausen. Almost immediately, the congregation objected to the innovative harmonized music he was introducing."
(http://www.lclark.edu/~jsbach/history.html)

Interesting how little we've progressed since then...

Technically, only part of the stuff that bach wrote was considered secular at the time. He did write 'christian' music as well, so even in this very outdated way of thinking, I don't understand the ban.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Well, that's it...I'm off to burn my vocal score for the Mass in B Minor. Always knew there was something unholy about that bloody Credo.
Or should I wait a while and see how the winds of Christian music blow in case I have to immolate a certain Christmas oratorio as well? Two scores with one match as it were.:bonk:

Dinogrrl

peeb!
*clings to her violin concertos* Never realized that a series of notes was unChristian either :}.

Although I have run into people who believe that seconds and augmented seventh chords are Satanic (don't ask my why it's augmented sevenths. I mean, I hated music theory, but not that much!). No kidding. They will literally edit it out of music that they otherwise want to hear 9_9.

Zlot

Dinogrrl said:
Where'd you hear that? o_O And what is your definition of a 'pagan opera'? I've not heard that term before.
opera has been around long before christianity. JS Bach lived during religious rule, the only music allowed was written for the church. All other non christian music was banned.
Near the latter part of Bach life religious freedom was won and Bach and Vivaldi revised the opera, which was banned itself because the church felt there was too much sex and violence in opera.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
The religious music era never really existed. Yes, there were times and places where it was banned/forbidden, but it was never completely outlawed over all of Europe.

Vivaldi lived before Bach (at least, he did a good deal of his living and composing before Bach), while it is true that his operas were forbidden in a couple places (which was due to his lifestyle/personality/anger of his sponsors, NOT the content of the music), he wrote a great number of operas...most of which were, to the best of my knowledge, not Christian.

True, the beginning of Western music is rooted in religious music. But remember that Europe is a collection of a bunch of countries, and rarely have they ever all enforced the same law(s) at the same time (for example, the bannination of non-church music you cited). They were at war with each other most of the time. :}~

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
These are the same kind of people who say that dancing is a sin. Man, people sure can take their opinions to the extreme, can't they? But you know, opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one.