• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aztec religion resources.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Does anyone have any good, unbiased resources on Aztec religion? Preferably scholarly studies?

Whatever you have, post it here, please. I really want to know more. I'm very attracted to the religion of the Aztecs.

CynthiaCypher

Interesting theory, I guess: Ometeotl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But it sounds like a later Christian idea.

That's not what I'm interested in. I'm interested in learning about Aztec polytheism and the myths associated with the deities.

I think Ometeotl was the popular religion, the one the people followed, also like many civilizations the Mexica had diverse religious beliefs. I think the priesthood more or less held up the idea of Teotl. The beliefs of the Mexica can be said to be one of the most complex religious philosophy ever created.

Here is a link on their religious philosophy:

Aztec Philosophy [Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

and a summary of the mythology:

The Myths of Mexico and Peru: Chapter II: Mexican Mythology

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think Ometeotl was the popular religion, the one the people followed, also like many civilizations the Mexica had diverse religious beliefs. I think the priesthood more or less held up the idea of Teotl. The beliefs of the Mexica can be said to be one of the most complex religious philosophy ever created.

Well, it's interesting but I'm not sure about it. Apparently it's not really proven. :shrug:

Thanks!

Sees

Dragonslayer
Just earlier my wife was telling me how her uncles taught her if a duende (elf, dwarf, little folk, etc.) ask a favor it is good luck to do it and a bad curse/horrible luck if you don't - illness, death... Very similar to some Euro traditions :D

I think from the little she has described to me of passed down practices, superstitions, beliefs, etc. the common Aztec people also focused more on ghosts, nature spirits, ancestors, and so on than the Gods much like Euro traditions.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Just earlier my wife was telling me how her uncles taught her if a duende (elf, dwarf, little folk, etc.) ask a favor it is good luck to do it and a bad curse/horrible luck if you don't - illness, death... Very similar to some Euro traditions :D

I think from the little she has described to me of passed down practices, superstitions, beliefs, etc. the common Aztec people also focused more on ghosts, nature spirits, ancestors, and so on than the Gods much like Euro traditions.

Cool. Your wife is of Mesoamerican descent? :)

That makes a lot of sense, really. Polytheistic religions all have deep animistic roots. I'm certainly an animist, too, so I can dig it!

I'm really drawn towards the Aztec religion because they had a very unique view of death. I have a love affair with their Death God, Mictlantecuhtli. Not really sure why, but I'm really drawn to Him.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Cool. Your wife is of Mesoamerican descent? :)

That makes a lot of sense, really. Polytheistic religions all have deep animistic roots. I'm certainly an animist, too, so I can dig it!

I'm really drawn towards the Aztec religion because they had a very unique view of death. I have a love affair with their Death God, Mictlantecuhtli. Not really sure why, but I'm really drawn to Him.

Yeah my wife is Mexican with lots of her family still in Mexico. A fair amount just started to seriously interact with whites or Spanish-blood Mexicans recently so they have less Catholic/Judeo-Chistian tampering

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yeah my wife is Mexican with lots of her family still in Mexico. A fair amount just started to seriously interact with whites or Spanish-blood Mexicans recently so they have less Catholic/Judeo-Chistian tampering

Awesome. Maybe you could ask her for some info on this? :)

I'd really love to visit Mexico one day.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Awesome. Maybe you could ask her for some info on this? :)

I'd really love to visit Mexico one day.

For sure will see what all she remembers...she is always busy messing with tarot cards and doing some witchy stuff and I am always away from home lol

Most of her family has long, elaborate stories about one or more different beings or spirits they have encountered. It would be cool to learn better Spanish and have talks with the ones living in Mexico.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
For sure will see what all she remembers...she is always busy messing with tarot cards and doing some witchy stuff and I am always away from home lol

Most of her family has long, elaborate stories about one or more different beings or spirits they have encountered. It would be cool to learn better Spanish and have talks with the ones living in Mexico.

Lol. She sounds like a cool lady. :cool:

I need to brush up on my Spanish, too.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Interesting theory, I guess: Ometeotl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But it sounds like a later Christian idea.

That's not what I'm interested in. I'm interested in learning about Aztec polytheism and the myths associated with the deities.

i recently attended the Aztec exhibition at one of our museums and found out that the Aztecs believed in the spirits above (heaven) the spirits below (hell)

To be happy and prosperous on earth, Atecs believed that they had to keep the spirits above and below happy. So the spirits above were 'life givers' hence to keep them happy you had to participate in lots of sex. And the spirits below relished death, so you had to offer them lots of blood sacrifices...usually young virgins, babies or defeated warriors.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
i recently attended the Aztec exhibition at one of our museums and found out that the Aztecs believed in the spirits above (heaven) the spirits below (hell)

To be happy and prosperous on earth, Atecs believed that they had to keep the spirits above and below happy. So the spirits above were 'life givers' hence to keep them happy you had to participate in lots of sex. And the spirits below relished death, so you had to offer them lots of blood sacrifices...usually young virgins, babies or defeated warriors.

Very interesting. Thanks. I can see how that would be. :yes: