• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aztec religion resources.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I find the Aztec religion very interesting. The only thing that doesn't quite work for me is how obligated people seem to be to please the gods.

I particularly like Tezcatlipoca, even though he's basically a bad guy EDIT: though I guess he's not really bad, per se. I remember reading something interesting about that, though. It seems the Aztec idea of light and dark isn't so intrinsically tied into absolute good and evil like we are used to. If I remember right, they dont particularly see absolute good or evil in anything people do, so people can choose to be dark or light, but there's not really morality judgement about it. Anyone feel free to correct me on that though, I dont really know that much about it

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I find the Aztec religion very interesting. The only thing that doesn't quite work for me is how obligated people seem to be to please the gods.

I particularly like Tezcatlipoca, even though he's basically a bad guy. I remember reading something interesting about that, though. It seems the Aztec idea of light and dark isn't so intrinsically tied into absolute good and evil like we are used to. If I remember right, they dont particularly see absolute good or evil in anything people do, so people can choose to be dark or light, but there's not really morality judgement about it. Anyone feel free to correct me on that though, I dont really know that much about it

Most indigenous religions don't have views of absolute "good" and "evil". The Aztec religion is no different in that.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Mesoamerican worldview does not have clear conceptions of good and evil, but rather light and dark. A dark thing does not mean an evil thing, nor is darkness to be avoided if it is in one's nature. Dark deities were revered just as much as light deities, and both dark and light forces were seen as necessary to the functioning of the universe. “Evil” is, more often than not, a term the Spaniards attached to the gods and rituals of a religion they saw as “idolatrous,” an unfortunate misrepresentation that persists today.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.amoxtli.org/cuezali/universe.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's one of the reasons why, as a Satanist, I'm drawn towards it.
[/FONT]

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Most indigenous religions don't have views of absolute "good" and "evil". The Aztec religion is no different in that.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.amoxtli.org/cuezali/universe.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's one of the reasons why, as a Satanist, I'm drawn towards it.
[/FONT]

Oh yeah, that's the site I read that on. I particularly like that idea; I can't find myself believing in good and evil as actual absolutes existing in reality. Light and dark make more sense to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Oh yeah, that's the site I read that on. I particularly like that idea; I can't find myself believing in good and evil as actual absolutes existing in reality. Light and dark make more sense to me.

Same, too. I think both very much have their place. It's important to be well-rounded.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I've been reading the Aztec philosophy link that Cynthia linked and I like what im reading. It sounds very much like the understanding in Taoism: oscillating , inter-dependent, complimentary opposites which are a manifestation of the seamless, undifferentiated totality, teotl, of which all things are a part.