• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Award for solution

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
(In frubals of course) :D

So, I have an old Humax PVR-9200T HDD Freeview recorder. I have a normal TV aerial, and over time, the signal strength had dropped to being so low that it was becoming difficult to get all channels available, and then to the extent that I was down to perhaps a dozen, and even these not being reliable. I don't tend to watch that much TV anyway, but the other day I had a new aerial installed - so back to the full complement available. :beercheers:

My problem is that the Humax only displays in B/W. I have a suspicion I did something to make it this way perhaps just to get a reasonable signal, but I can't fathom out what it was, and I can't find anything in any of the Menu options that might solve this issue. I reset the unit to default but this hasn't cured the problem. The TV is a Panasonic, and I also have a Panasonic VHS/DVD/HDD recorder, so I'm not exactly desperate, but there are some films recorded on the Humax that I might like to look at again.

Anyone have an idea what it might be? :(

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
(In frubals of course) :D

So, I have an old Humax PVR-9200T HDD Freeview recorder. I have a normal TV aerial, and over time, the signal strength had dropped to being so low that it was becoming difficult to get all channels available, and then to the extent that I was down to perhaps a dozen, and even these not being reliable. I don't tend to watch that much TV anyway, but the other day I had a new aerial installed - so back to the full complement available. :beercheers:

My problem is that the Humax only displays in B/W. I have a suspicion I did something to make it this way perhaps just to get a reasonable signal, but I can't fathom out what it was, and I can't find anything in any of the Menu options that might solve this issue. I reset the unit to default but this hasn't cured the problem. The TV is a Panasonic, and I also have a Panasonic VHS/DVD/HDD recorder, so I'm not exactly desperate, but there are some films recorded on the Humax that I might like to look at again.

Anyone have an idea what it might be? :(

Check your tv isn't set to never twice same colour (ntsc) or in s-video.

Or could be a cable problem

Just found this, it may help

Black-and-White Freeview Picture? | TV Answers – Digital TV Made Simple

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thanks. The thing is I haven't changed any cables and it was OK for a long time - SCART to SCART lead to TV.

Cables can break, give it a wiggle and a tug, see if the picture goes crazy. Or try another if you have a spare

Check both box and tv are outputting/inputting the same signal.

Does the box (and tv of course) have a hdmi socket, if so amazon a new hdmi cable overnight (unless you have one)

Oh, one i forgot, try slapping the Tv and box in turn for a while ;-)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Cables can break, give it a wiggle and a tug, see if the picture goes crazy. Or try another if you have a spare

Check both box and tv are outputting/inputting the same signal.

Does the box (and tv of course) have a hdmi socket, if so amazon a new hdmi cable overnight (unless you have one)

Oh, one i forgot, try slapping the Tv and box in turn for a while ;-)

A good slap usually works. :D I think I have solved it. It was plugged into AV2 and showed up as AV2/S, and by choosing an option to set it to AV2 the colour is back. Didn't have the TV manual handy. :oops:

Thanks for helping. :beercheers:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Just to be clear on this - if it helps any others with a similar problem. As mentioned by @Christine, it appears to be related to S-video. There was nothing in the Humax or TV Menus that seemed amiss, but it was down to Input choice for the TV. On the AV list I should noticed the difference between AV1 and AV2/S, such that the second could be toggled between two different modes - it had two little dots to the right - and doing so by appropriate keys (OK or left/right?). The AV2/S didn't change but the dots did. The Humax is old but worth keeping, as it can record two programmes at once - whilst watching a third on TV. :D