• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Audiobooks

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Colour of Magic was the first book i ever read.

LOL! Loved that book. I actually found out about Terry Pratchett here in RF. Some of us were in the now-defunked chat room talking about Douglas Adams and moaning about how few books he had written, when one of our members mentioned TP. Same genre more or less, and with helluva lot more books to read. I've always been a Douglas Adams fan, but at this point I have to say I like Pratchett just as much. More in some ways.

Recently diagnosed, eye glasses and filters prescribed the world of words opened for me. Dad bought me my first Terry Pratchett and i was hooked (more like obsessed) within a year i had read everything he had published and pined while waiting for his next book to hit the shelves.

His death was a great loss.

I have not listened to any audio of his, i might, every few months i will pick up one of his books and begin to laugh out loud.

Here is a good TP resource
The L-Space Web - A Terry Pratchett / Discworld Web® Site

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Having recently had an stomach operation and finding myself somewhat bored with recovery i decided reading would pass the time.

Problem, holding a book or tablet in a position to read for more than a few minutes becomes uncomfortable.

Solution, audiobooks, turn on, put the tablet down, make myself comfortable and listen.

Searching through Youtube (there is a eclectic selection of full books) i found Benedict Cumberbatch Reads Sherlock Holmes' Rediscovered Railway Stories.

Or if you are not a Sherlock Holmes fan take a look here

FULL audio books for everyone

Anyone else have a suggestion?
Hope your recovery is fast.

I first got into audiobooks back in the early 90s while driving to New Orleans and back once a month. Coincidentally it was Sherlock Holmes stories but on cassette tape. I’ve listened to audiobooks ever since for driving and while working outside.

Mostly I’m a history fan. These two links of MP3 downloads by Lars Brown are excellent for those interested:
Norman Centuries | A Norman History Podcast by Lars Brownworth

12 Byzantine Rulers: The History of the Byzantine Empire

There’s also the Open Yale online courses. Courses | Open Yale Courses

I’ve listened to both of these, both were very good:

American Revolution - The American Revolution | Open Yale Courses

Early Middle Ages - The Early Middle Ages, 284–1000 | Open Yale Courses

Bob the Unbeliever

Re: Terry Pratchett. Yes, he is sorely missed. Anything he wrote, was at a minimum, very readable. As he matured? They were uniformly brilliant. My first TP book was The Fifth Elephant. I was so in love with the play on words, I bought it without even reading the back cover. Instantly hooked-- went back to The Colour Of Magic, and worked through the series as I was able to afford the dead tree editions.

Re: Douglass Adams-- Stephen Fry has read The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, and I cannot recommend this Audio Masterpiece enough. Adam's brilliant satirical writing, combined with Fry's brilliant narration style, makes it superior to the actual written version. And I do not say that lightly... I love reading words-in-a-row.