• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Audiobooks

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Having recently had an stomach operation and finding myself somewhat bored with recovery i decided reading would pass the time.

Problem, holding a book or tablet in a position to read for more than a few minutes becomes uncomfortable.

Solution, audiobooks, turn on, put the tablet down, make myself comfortable and listen.

Searching through Youtube (there is a eclectic selection of full books) i found Benedict Cumberbatch Reads Sherlock Holmes' Rediscovered Railway Stories.

Or if you are not a Sherlock Holmes fan take a look here

FULL audio books for everyone

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Bob the Unbeliever

Look for Stephen Fry's audio book stuff. What I mean is, things Stephen Fry has read for Audio.

Brilliant Linguist that he is, it's quite beautiful to listen to.

Edit: Here's an incomplete list

Audiobooks Narrated by Stephen Fry

I'm normally not much of a fan of non-fiction, but Fry has a Victorian Secrets audiobook I can highly recommend.

He apparently also has read the entire Sherlock Holmes series as well. Note: the US version is not as complete as the UK version, I don't know why.

Re: Reading tablets. As I have aged, my ability to fatigue easily increased, and I could not hold even a light Samsung Note tablet for very long.

So I constructed a Tablet Holder out of a piece of 2x4, and an actual tablet holding arm from Amazon. This contraption is attached to my headboard, such that I may read in bed quite comfortably, for hours at a time. I lie there, and it is just over my head (but swings out of the way) holding the tablet at the perfect reading distance and angle. Adjustable, etc.

I have another one, that is self-standing-- that is, it is a stand, that was designed for an iPad, to hold it up in the kitchen or whatever. It works quite well on that same Samsung tablet-- shhh! Don't tell it might get angry ;)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Look for Stephen Fry's audio book stuff. What I mean is, things Stephen Fry has read for Audio.

Brilliant Linguist that he is, it's quite beautiful to listen to.

Edit: Here's an incomplete list

Audiobooks Narrated by Stephen Fry

I'm normally not much of a fan of non-fiction, but Fry has a Victorian Secrets audiobook I can highly recommend.

He apparently also has read the entire Sherlock Holmes series as well. Note: the US version is not as complete as the UK version, I don't know why.

Re: Reading tablets. As I have aged, my ability to fatigue easily increased, and I could not hold even a light Samsung Note tablet for very long.

So I constructed a Tablet Holder out of a piece of 2x4, and an actual tablet holding arm from Amazon. This contraption is attached to my headboard, such that I may read in bed quite comfortably, for hours at a time. I lie there, and it is just over my head (but swings out of the way) holding the tablet at the perfect reading distance and angle. Adjustable, etc.

I have another one, that is self-standing-- that is, it is a stand, that was designed for an iPad, to hold it up in the kitchen or whatever. It works quite well on that same Samsung tablet-- shhh! Don't tell it might get angry ;)

Stephen Fry has done a good few audiobooks, wonderful voice. I have his Sherlock Holmes series, its in 6 volumes.

PureX

Veteran Member
I enjoy Raymond Chandler novels in audio form. His writing style makes you feel like you're listening to and old time radio drama.

Having recently had an stomach operation and finding myself somewhat bored with recovery i decided reading would pass the time.

Problem, holding a book or tablet in a position to read for more than a few minutes becomes uncomfortable.

Solution, audiobooks, turn on, put the tablet down, make myself comfortable and listen.

Join audible and you basically get unlimited numbers of audiobooks for $10 a month. You get one 'free' per month but you can exchange these whenever you like for new audiobooks. Great value if you intend to listen to lots of them. Hope your recovery goes well :)

I'd recommend:

The Silk Road by Peter Frankopan

The No. 1 Sunday Times and international bestseller - a major reassessment of world history in light of the economic and political renaissance in the re-emerging east

For centuries, fame and fortune was to be found in the west – in the New World of the Americas. Today, it is the east which calls out to those in search of adventure and riches. The region stretching from eastern Europe and sweeping right across Central Asia deep into China and India, is taking centre stage in international politics, commerce and culture – and is shaping the modern world.

This region, the true centre of the earth, is obscure to many in the English-speaking world. Yet this is where civilization itself began, where the world's great religions were born and took root. The Silk Roads were no exotic series of connections, but networks that linked continents and oceans together. Along them flowed ideas, goods, disease and death. This was where empires were won – and where they were lost. As a new era emerges, the patterns of exchange are mirroring those that have criss-crossed Asia for millennia. The Silk Roads are rising again.

A major reassessment of world history, The Silk Roads is an important account of the forces that have shaped the global economy and the political renaissance in the re-emerging east.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Join audible and you basically get unlimited numbers of audiobooks for $10 a month. You get one 'free' per month but you can exchange these whenever you like for new audiobooks. Great value if you intend to listen to lots of them. Hope your recovery goes well :)

I'd recommend:

The Silk Road by Peter Frankopan

The No. 1 Sunday Times and international bestseller - a major reassessment of world history in light of the economic and political renaissance in the re-emerging east

For centuries, fame and fortune was to be found in the west – in the New World of the Americas. Today, it is the east which calls out to those in search of adventure and riches. The region stretching from eastern Europe and sweeping right across Central Asia deep into China and India, is taking centre stage in international politics, commerce and culture – and is shaping the modern world.

This region, the true centre of the earth, is obscure to many in the English-speaking world. Yet this is where civilization itself began, where the world's great religions were born and took root. The Silk Roads were no exotic series of connections, but networks that linked continents and oceans together. Along them flowed ideas, goods, disease and death. This was where empires were won – and where they were lost. As a new era emerges, the patterns of exchange are mirroring those that have criss-crossed Asia for millennia. The Silk Roads are rising again.

A major reassessment of world history, The Silk Roads is an important account of the forces that have shaped the global economy and the political renaissance in the re-emerging east.

Cheers
I have been with audible for about 6 months and have been going through the Susanna Gregory books.
I started this thread because i have only recently discovered the wealth of free reading on YouTube

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Searching through Youtube (there is a eclectic selection of full books) i found Benedict Cumberbatch Reads Sherlock Holmes' Rediscovered Railway Stories.

If you like Mysteries , you would definitely like the Poirot series by Agatha Christie..

Like this one.

Bob the Unbeliever

Stephen Fry has done a good few audiobooks, wonderful voice. I have his Sherlock Holmes series, its in 6 volumes.

I'm jealous. I cannot get the UK version, which is complete. The USA version is not (look at the reviews)

I keep hoping this will eventually be addressed.... so I have yet to make the purchase.

We Never Know

No Slack

I hope you heal well and quickly. I've dabbled a bit with audio books but in my opinion you don't retain as much about them/information as when you read them.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am a great lover of Jon Ronson's books; they are also available on YouTube

I read 'the men who stare at goats' a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Thought it was of the wall fiction until the mention of a guy i have actually met.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'm jealous. I cannot get the UK version, which is complete. The USA version is not (look at the reviews)

I keep hoping this will eventually be addressed.... so I have yet to make the purchase.

Try amazon.co.uk, maybe it will allow you to get the UK version

Altfish

Veteran Member
I read 'the men who stare at goats' a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Thought it was of the wall fiction until the mention of a guy i have actually met.
I f you enjoyed that I recommend The Psychopath Test too

btw Hope you are better soon

ChristineM

Premium Member
I hope you heal well and quickly. I've dabbled a bit with audio books but in my opinion you don't retain as much about them/information as when you read them.

Cheers, i am doing ok, still a bit sore with instructions from hubby, the kids and the cats to rest so who am i to object? :rolleyes:

I love hard copy, i am dyslexic so its quite a challenge which has the bonus of driving the story home after working so hard to read it.

I think audio has its place though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks for the link. I had no idea Youtube audiobooks were even a thing.

I just started listening to audiobooks recently (got kind of tired of trying to find decent movies to watch. :p). Working my way through my second Terry Pratchett novel atm. Highly recommend anything by this guy: terry pratchett - Google Search

Something I'm finding is that the narrator can make all the difference. I started listening to something by TP that was being narrated by someone who seemed to think he was reading a children's book, and it ruined the whole thing.

If you decide to check out Terry Practhett's books I recommend anything narrated by Steven Briggs.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
I just started listening to audiobooks recently (got kind of tired of trying to find decent movies to watch. :p). Working my way through my second Terry Pratchett novel atm. Highly recommend anything by this guy: terry pratchett - Google Search

Something I'm finding is that the narrator can make all the difference. I started listening to something by TP that was being narrated by someone who seemed to think he was reading a children's book, and it ruined the whole thing.

If you decide to check out Terry Practhett's books I recommend anything narrated by Steven Briggs.

Colour of Magic was the first book i ever read. Recently diagnosed, eye glasses and filters prescribed the world of words opened for me. Dad bought me my first Terry Pratchett and i was hooked (more like obsessed) within a year i had read everything he had published and pined while waiting for his next book to hit the shelves.

His death was a great loss.

I have not listened to any audio of his, i might, every few months i will pick up one of his books and begin to laugh out loud.

Here is a good TP resource
The L-Space Web - A Terry Pratchett / Discworld Web® Site