• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

attachment.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends marry & Mathieu,

If you are attached to something then yoiu know what attachment is.
Likewise when you attach with nothing, you know what attachment is.

This is not for THINKING minds.
You have to STILL the THOUGHTS to understand.

Best wishes.
Love & rgds

koan

Basic Buddhism, everything is empty. Some call emptiness nothing. Some become attached to emptiness. True understanding is : Emptiness is Form. Form is Emptiness. As Zenzero says, the way is not to be attached to either. This is one of the Hardest concepts of Buddhism for people to understand. One could even use it as a koan. Emptiness is form. Form is emptiness, how may this be?

maary

Okay .. but see, it's my belief that to become a monk or whatever.. you must be attached to nothing.
Which is why they're unable to have relationships, etc. But no matter what you're always attached to something, it's impossible to not be attached to something. Even if you're attached to your way of life .. which in a way they are.

Honestly, it just seems like they take something & then re-say it in another form.
"Emptiness is Form. Form is Emptiness."
It makes you think.. then you think about it & you don't get it .. and you're like wow this is so amazing, but when you think about it- you realize how truly stupid it sounds.

“If you are very attached to something, you are very crazy. If you are a little attached to something, you are a little crazy. If you are not attached to anything, you are not crazy.”

So everyone is crazy? That's what's being said, at least to my understanding.. they're completely attached to their ways of live .. so it's right for me to say that they're insane?
Everyone thinks that they're so full of wisdom & such, but i think that they're just plain stupid.
They say little stories & such about kicking water bottles & throwing water in the face when asked questions about the meaning of life, etc. But there's not explanation to these things, they're not smart.

Religion, in my opinion, is nothing but brainwash. Not to offend anyone, but all stories of religion, are not only impossible, but straight up stupid.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Okay .. but see, it's my belief that to become a monk or whatever.. you must be attached to nothing.
Which is why they're unable to have relationships, etc. But no matter what you're always attached to something, it's impossible to not be attached to something. Even if you're attached to your way of life .. which in a way they are.

Honestly, it just seems like they take something & then re-say it in another form.
"Emptiness is Form. Form is Emptiness."
It makes you think.. then you think about it & you don't get it .. and you're like wow this is so amazing, but when you think about it- you realize how truly stupid it sounds.

“If you are very attached to something, you are very crazy. If you are a little attached to something, you are a little crazy. If you are not attached to anything, you are not crazy.”

So everyone is crazy? That's what's being said, at least to my understanding.. they're completely attached to their ways of live .. so it's right for me to say that they're insane?
Everyone thinks that they're so full of wisdom & such, but i think that they're just plain stupid.
They say little stories & such about kicking water bottles & throwing water in the face when asked questions about the meaning of life, etc. But there's not explanation to these things, they're not smart.

Religion, in my opinion, is nothing but brainwash. Not to offend anyone, but all stories of religion, are not only impossible, but straight up stupid.

Perhaps you think these things are stupid because you are approaching them intellectually. There seem to be some religions that can be approached intellectually, but that is not really the case with the ones you are talking about in this thread, is it? And approaching the ones you are talking about in this thread intellectually is about as wise as trying to learn football from a book without ever practicing football, is it not? Would you expect yourself to "get" football, to become a competent player, if all you did was sit around and read and think about football? Or are you wise enough to understand you would need to practice football to become competent at it? If you wish to understand the religions you are talking about in this thread, you must not approach them like a fool approaches football -- only reading and thinking about football. Instead, you must practice the religions. Only then, will what you have to say about those religions rise to something more than confusion and misunderstanding, Maary.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Sunstone,
You have put it beautifully; admit you have a great understanding of human psychology.
Wanted to frubal you for that but am out of stock presently.
Just wanted to add that even an intellectual trigger could lead a person to practice. eg. It was bit late in the morning and a man woke up and started talking his morning walk in the village. He overheard a mother calling his son, *Son, wake up son, you have been sleeping for long, wake up* that was enough to intellectually hit the man to wake up fully. He never went back to his house after that. He became a monk.

Most of us are still asleep and though so many awakened people come by our way we still continue in our stupor. People like Jesus keep shouting at the top of their voices they listen, understand a few words gets impressed and go back home to their sleep. It is only few that really wake up. However it is the way IT IS.
Love & rgds

maary

Okay, but i believe that a person who reads about football before playing would be smart.
They would set out to understand the game, they'd think of the plays & they'd get mentally into it, obviously we think differently, & that's fine- like i said it's my opinion.. just as that monk has his opinion on being crazy.

But i'd rather be the person reading about football, before allowing myself to be a part of something i don't understand. If he reads about football, and believes that he'll get himself hurt while taking play in this sport, why would he be crazy enough to play. In my opinion, he's smart.
He's reading up on something before he takes part in it.

With what youre saying, youre telling me that i shouldn't only read on it, i should go & practice it or what not .. but i'm not going to do something that doesn't make sense to me. I asked a simple question, & yet all i'm getting are complex answers that make no sense.
Your football theory is completely irrelevant to anything, because he's smart for reading up on something that will be life changing. As am i, i'm looking for answers, simple answers. To what i thought, was a simple question. How can someone being attached to nothing? It's not possible, therefore, you're all crazy. (As interrupted by a monk.)

emptyness

The way you see attachment isn't the way buddhism sees it, "attachment" doesn't mean what you might think it means.

In order for there to be attachment, you need two things -- the attacher, and the thing to which the attacher is attached. In other words, "attachment" requires self-reference, and it requires seeing the object of attachment as separate from oneself.

The Buddha taught that seeing oneself and everything else this way is a delusion. Further, it is a delusion that is the deepest cause of our unhappiness. It is because we mistakenly see ourselves as separate from everything else that we "attach."

"According to the Buddhist point of view, nonattachment is exactly the opposite of separation. You need two things in order to have attachment: the thing you’re attaching to, and the person who’s attaching. In nonattachment, on the other hand, there’s unity. There’s unity because there’s nothing to attach to. If you have unified with the whole universe, there’s nothing outside of you, so the notion of attachment becomes absurd. Who will attach to what?"

"Non-affliction is happiness in the world - harmlessness towards all living beings."

maary

and finally someone makes sense .. thank youu - im still somewhat unsure but i understand it more now.
:)