• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atonement theories.

Which Atonement theory do you agree with?

• The Satisfaction (or Commercial) Theory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Governmental Theory

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sudakar

God's faithful
Almost missed this thread.
I voted for Christus Victor theory. My reasoning at this time:
  • By no means do I deny, belittle, or attempt to replace what God did in freeing the Jews from their Egyptian masters.
    • That said, IMO, Jesus' death effected the salvation of all who avail themselves of that salvation by each person's acknowledgment that it occurred at Jesus' death and by claiming it, each for him- or herself.
  • In the specific case of Jews in Egypt, I read:
    • Exodus 12:1-2. HaShem tells Moses and Aaron how to start counting Jewish months.
    • Then, in verse 3, HaShem instructs them to "Speak to the entire community of Israel, ..." telling them to do what? to select unblemished lambs, from the sheep or goats, and on a specific day, to slaughter the animals and put some the blood on the doorposts and lintel of the Israelites' homes.
    • And He tells them: "I will pass through the land of Egypt on this night, and I will smite every firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast, and upon all the gods of Egypt will I wreak judgments I, the Lord."
    • The blood was essential to distinguish those in captivity from their captors.
    • For those of us willing to believe, accept, and trust in him, Jesus is our "Passover Lamb" and by his blood, we are set free from the bondage of and slavery to sin.
    • Having been freed, we each have yet to make the journey through the desert, remembering that Jesus Christ's death freed us to begin that journey. The journey is impossible with out the freedom to make it. The freedom to make the journey is wasted on us if we don't make it.
      • Philippians 2:
        • 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
        • 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
        • 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
        • 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
        • 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
        • 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
        • 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
        • 12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
        • 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
  • Christus Victor, from beginning to end.

When God smote the firstborn was He angry or happy over them?

Terry Sampson

When God smote the firstborn was He angry or happy over them?
Smiting the firstborn of the households that did not have lamb's blood on the doorposts and lintels?
  • What's the situation?
    • From the Egyptian perspective, the Israelites are disposable labor and a constant threat, if they ever rise up and rebel. At one point, a pharoah even ordered the killing of male children in order to keep their numbers of males under control.
    • From the Israelites' perspective, their life in Egyptian captivity was difficult and made worse anytime the Pharoah wanted.
    • From God's perspective, He knew the Israelites were unhappy and He wanted them freed.
  • God gave Pharoah several opportunities to let the Israelites leave. Each time, Pharoah said "Okay" and then changed his mind before the Israelites could leave in peace.
    • Finally, God told the Israelites to get ready to leave, and to paint the blood on their doorways.
    • Smiting the firstborn was a necessary step in order to persuade the Pharoah to let the Israelites go. Pharoah didn't know and fear God and didn't believe that He could force Pharoah to do what God wanted him to do. He found out the hard way that God could force him to do what He wanted. And, even after Pharoah told Mose and Aaron to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, Pharoah changed his mind after they had left and tried to chase them down.