• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists who turn to god, why are we doubted?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
This happens in the field of science I am told.

It's because atheists don't understand that religious people CAN logically hold the existence of God. They see a false dichotomy of:
  1. You be logical and reject God
  2. You rely entirely on faith and follow God
But faith isn't wishy-washy belief set. It means to be faithful. In order to be faithful, one must be sure to the point where if one threatens your life, you still know what you know is true for you.

I actually find atheism to be very illogical.

Milton Platt

Having been an atheist for a while and turning back to religion I find it bizarre being on the other foot because even when I professed being a deist I was not being serious to myself. I just used it as a security blanket to avoid being an atheist as I was appalled by them. But when I finally admitted to being an atheist I felt free and truly believed there was no god yet I was left empty after quickly associating with atheists in person and it was not befitting for my constant depression. Believing in a god never made my depression better but having an unbiased and explorative outlook on the world did and I never found this amongst secularism as a whole.

Thinking about my life and why I became an atheist it seemed like a natural development of a security blanket after leaving 2 mentally exhausting religions being Christianity and Islam. But I never took atheism seriously and overtime I was led right back to religion with a stronger fire than ever.

But when I tell atheists this it is left in utter disbelief because the notion of an atheist returning to religion is just not acceptable and there go the constant push to delegitimize me a former atheist which I have been for a couple of years. I understand Christians do this to atheists who are former Christians yet atheists do the exact tactic for the reverse.

Is this a sign of atheism being turned into a religion or is is merely an American response do to the stereotyped unreasonable nature in American Protestantism.

I am an atheist, and I don't doubt that you decided to become a theist. I don't know why anyone would doubt you when you say that. I can however doubt that you were an atheist for the good reasons, and maybe you are not a theist for good reasons, either, since you say simply do it because it somehow makes you feel good. so apparently, neither position was taken by examining the evidence for/against, or using logic or reason. So, yeah, I can see why you flip flop.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This happens in the field of science I am told.

It's because atheists don't understand that religious people CAN logically hold the existence of God. They see a false dichotomy of:
  1. You be logical and reject God
  2. You rely entirely on faith and follow God
But faith isn't wishy-washy belief set. It means to be faithful. In order to be faithful, one must be sure to the point where if one threatens your life, you still know what you know is true for you.

The attempts to state that a God exists tend to be based upon logical fallacies. But why not give it a shot? What is your logical argument for the existence of a God?

Dantedeven

Here is my stupid answer:

If you have knowledge of what is good and evil and at the same time have free will.
Then know you can never please everyone, for discussion and doubt there will always be.
But feeling pressured by anyone to make a choice about YOUR FAITH, is not cool.

And then you have those that are dear to you and whatever they might believe.
But if it was not faith that once connected you, act smart and let faith be.
Just choose whatever makes life the easiest for you without hurting anyone at all.

Yeah, some people have christianity as their solution. Some people have chronic alcoholism as
their solution. But crippling depression and anxiety is never a solution!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's because atheists don't understand that religious people CAN logically hold the existence of God.
That’s not the position of this atheist, at least: I don’t assume that a person’s beliefs have to be logical to be sincere.

Now that you mention it, though... in all the times I’ve seen theists try to explain or justify their beliefs, I’ve never seen any case where they actually succeeded in showing that their beliefs were logical. Not once.

In what way?