• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists On Judgement Day

Earthling

David Henson
I certainly hope not. No atheist should have to face endless, boring, eternity. We deserve better.

Everlasting destruction. You've been presented with a choice and you've made it. Now, a Christian has done the same, but they are being judged. When you set all of the religious stuff aside there's that simple choice, not about going to heaven or going to hell, not so much about being good or being bad. Putting on a show. But what is it all about? It isn't just about living forever in paradise earth. It's about wanting to be a part of things the way they were meant to be. It's difficult to imagine because all we've ever known is the opposite.

Seeing the human race fulfill their potential which is beyond our ability in our current state to even begin to imagine. How we can get there is the real issue.

Jehovah

Earthling

David Henson
Once I discovered that all the the preaching and sermonizing today is a total fraud, the question is rather mute to me. At the time when the bible was written the word hell meant grave, not the place of eternal torture that perverse monks and equally perverse evangelists today have congjured up. Once you remove that lie from the foundation you have little left except BC. Which is the most appropriate description of the socalled Christian religion.

British Colombia?

Gmcbroom

I admire your Maronite Catholic faith, your quote by Fulton Sheen is awesome, but I don't like your portrayal of God as a bigot!

I have met atheists online and offline, who I consider very loveable, humble, kind, and loving toward animals and people. There are Hindus like Ghandi who love others, fast, pray, detach from materialism and worldliness, are long-suffering, courageous, generous, and live much like the Catholic Saints. You act like God is a bigot who despises people who live heroic lives and have many of the virtues of the Saints. That just isn't the God I know!

PopeADope,
With respect towards all. He asked a legitimate question and I answered it; naturally God’s mercy covers all yet one must still ask for his help.

In today’s society, it is common to denigrate or attack an answer or person if someone doesn’t like it. But tolerance is a two way street. Too many people are afraid to respond when verbally challenged. My answer wasn’t an attack just an answer. Like a doctor telling his patient he has cancer. You can’t treat it if you don’t know about it.

Gmcbroom

In what way did my response make Hod a bigot? Ther is no one like God. He said he was the way the truth and the life no one come to the Father except through me. It’s not a bigoted view of God; it’s what he said. Jesus didn’t say being a good person will get you to heaven. We are fallen and we live in a fallen world. We shouldn’t blameGod for our fallen nature. He redeemed us but we must still respond to his sacrifice.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In what way did my response make Hod a bigot? Ther is no one like God. He said he was the way the truth and the life no one come to the Father except through me. It’s not a bigoted view of God; it’s what he said. Jesus didn’t say being a good person will get you to heaven. We are fallen and we live in a fallen world. We shouldn’t blameGod for our fallen nature. He redeemed us but we must still respond to his sacrifice.
The Bible says a lot of things like, "call no man your father," "faith of a mustard seed can move mountains, ask anything of the Father in my name and it will be done for you", or "if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out."

None of those verses mean what they say. Perhaps the verse you are quoting doesnt mean what it says either.

Yes, you do portray God as a bigot.

big·ot
ˈbiɡət/Submit
noun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

You are implying that people like Gandhi did not have the grace of God or get to heaven, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Earthling

David Henson
The Bible says a lot of things like, "call no man your father," "faith of a mustard seed can move mountains, ask anything of the Father in my name and it will be done for you", or "if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out."

None of those verses mean what they say. Perhaps the verse you are quoting doesnt mean what it says either.

Yes, you do portray God as a bigot.

big·ot
ˈbiɡət/Submit
noun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

You are implying that people like Ghandi did not have the grace of God or get to heaven, right?

Ghandi was an aluminum siding salesman from Toledo who's only real accomplishment was that she invented the liquid correction fluid used with typewriters. Why would you mention her as specifically having God's grace to get into heaven?

Last edited by a moderator:

ecco

Veteran Member
Arch Bishop Fulton Sheen said,”If you have doubt on which church to follow look for the one hated by the world.” Age counts so which church claims it goes all the way back to the Apostles and founded by Jesus himself.
If age counts then one must go back to before Jesus, to the beliefs of the Hebrews. They are also the most hated.

So, when are you converting to Judaism?

ecco

Veteran Member
Everlasting destruction. You've been presented with a choice and you've made it.

Jehovah
Yep, everlasting destruction and rebuilding. The atoms of my decaying body going their own way and decaying, over millenia, into more fundamental particles. Fundamental particles that will merge with others to become atoms which will merge with others to become molecules, etc. All part of an unbroken process at least 14,000,000 years old.

You, on the other hand, face eternity. Have you ever seriously considered what eternity is? After the first 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years, what would there be new or exiting?

At that point you would, perhaps, seriously consider that you still have 99.9999999999999999999999999999+% of eternity to go.

At that time you might wish for death (or cessation or whatever it could be called). And then you would realize that there is no way out. None!

nPeace

Veteran Member
First Commandment = Love God.....
Second Commandment = Love thy neighbor as thyself [equal to the first]

The Atheist follows the second one
The Religious breaks the second one

Because The Second is equal to The First the Atheist also follows The First [double win]
Because The Second is equal to The First the Religious breaks also The First [double trouble]

But I don't know about God's favor. That one I let God to decide [It's a commandment, not a judgement]
I beg to differ.
Because the Atheist doesn't understand what it means according to the second commandment - Love neighbor as self, since to do so they need to understand the first - Love God, which they don't understand nor do, they failed to do either. They win the favor of men.
Since the Christian understands the first and second, as to what is involved, they are able to do both - thus win God's favor.

Audie

Veteran Member
I wonder if our fundy sorts-the flood believers, evolution
deniers-ever think about how their "god" might view
their behaviour?

Since, if there is a god, evolution is something he set up,
it is quite rude to say it is all phony.

The "flood" is an absolutely horrendous mass murder
and atrocity, as portrayed.

But, there was no flood.

So, do they plan to stand before "god" and repeat
the accusation? Start scrambling for excuses?

Throw themselves on Jesus' neck, and weep?

Or maybe try to point out that Paluxy mantracks
prove yec, no matter what some "god" claims.

Audie

Veteran Member
I did not lie

Oh, yeah, sorry-I did not mean it that way,
I should think before I post.
The story has somewhat the sound of a
parable, which is true without being historical.

I do not mean to say you lied. It happened just
as you said, and it is a good story

No offense intended.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Christians tend to think of Judgement day as a period when everyone who disagreed with them and didn't belong to their specific denomination of Christendom will stand before God and he will judge them and have vengeance on them. That, of course, not surprisingly, is nothing close to what the Bible says about judgement day.

In the Bible judgement day is a thousand year period where the unrighteous are resurrected who didn't have the opportunity to choose God's side or Satan's side. The former leading to everlasting life and the latter leading to everlasting destruction. During their lives they weren't introduced to God's good news due to where they lived, and so during this period they are introduced to it, and then Satan, who was imprisoned in the abyss is released to give them his side of the story and they can choose at the end which one they want.

Now there's an account in the Bible where Jesus asks a question of religious leaders about an illustration he gives involving a man and two sons. One is told to do something and he says he will do it but he doesn't, the other says he won't do it but does. Of course, the second one is in the right and the first one in the wrong.

The question is, do you think that atheist who live moral lives but don't attend some Christian church are in God's favor while the religious who don't live moral lives don't have God's favor. I certainly would think so.

I do.

I was always curious about Christian eschatology on what is the truth? With so many brands of Christianity who knows which one is right?

Earthling

David Henson
Yep, everlasting destruction and rebuilding. The atoms of my decaying body going their own way and decaying, over millenia, into more fundamental particles. Fundamental particles that will merge with others to become atoms which will merge with others to become molecules, etc. All part of an unbroken process at least 14,000,000 years old.

You, on the other hand, face eternity. Have you ever seriously considered what eternity is? After the first 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years, what would there be new or exiting?

At that point you would, perhaps, seriously consider that you still have 99.9999999999999999999999999999+% of eternity to go.

At that time you might wish for death (or cessation or whatever it could be called). And then you would realize that there is no way out. None!

You are thinking in the wrong terms.
I do.

I was always curious about Christian eschatology on what is the truth? With so many brands of Christianity who knows which one is right?

None of them. It isn't about being right or wrong it's about being the best you, the individual, can be in a difficult environment. That is, inherited sin. If you want the support and fellowship of a congregation I recommend you do some research on the pagan influence of Christianity. For example, where the teachings originated. Hell, the immortal soul, trinity, cross, Christmas, Easter. Then you know where their real interest are. Tradition over God.

Of course, that leaves you with the Jehovah's Witnesses and they have their own issues.

It's up to you.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You are thinking in the wrong terms.

None of them. It isn't about being right or wrong it's about being the best you, the individual, can be in a difficult environment. That is, inherited sin. If you want the support and fellowship of a congregation I recommend you do some research on the pagan influence of Christianity. For example, where the teachings originated. Hell, the immortal soul, trinity, cross, Christmas, Easter. Then you know where their real interest are. Tradition over God.

Of course, that leaves you with the Jehovah's Witnesses and they have their own issues.

It's up to you.

But you saying they are wrong is just as good as all of them proclaiming they are right. Difference is they use doctrine whereas you use an opinion.

Earthling

David Henson
But you saying they are wrong is just as good as all of them proclaiming they are right. Difference is they use doctrine whereas you use an opinion.

Well, what is doctrine?

99% of Christianity teach that the soul is immortal and the wicked are punished forever in hell.

Okay, Ezekiel 18:4 and Matthew 10:28 says the soul dies.

Romans 6:7 says that once we die we are acquitted or justified of our sins. In other words if sin = death or the wages of sin are death then being tormented in hell forever isn't real.

So, look up immortal soul and hell. . . .

The soul

“There is no dichotomy [division] of body and soul in the O[ld] T[estament]. The Israelite saw things concretely, in their totality, and thus he considered men as persons and not as composites. The term nepeš [ne′phesh], though translated by our word soul, never means soul as distinct from the body or the individual person. . . . The term [psy‧khe′] is the N[ew] T[estament] word corresponding with nepeš. It can mean the principle of life, life itself, or the living being.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 449, 450.

“The Hebrew term for ‘soul’ (nefesh, that which breathes) was used by Moses . . . , signifying an ‘animated being’ and applicable equally to nonhuman beings. . . . New Testament usage of psychē (‘soul’) was comparable to nefesh.”—The New Encyclopædia Britannica (1976), Macropædia, Vol. 15, p. 152.

“The Christian concept of a spiritual soul created by God and infused into the body at conception to make man a living whole is the fruit of a long development in Christian philosophy. Only with Origen [died c. 254 C.E.] in the East and St. Augustine [died 430 C.E.] in the West was the soul established as a spiritual substance and a philosophical concept formed of its nature. . . . His [Augustine’s] doctrine . . . owed much (including some shortcomings) to Neoplatonism.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 452, 454.

“The concept of immortality is a product of Greek thinking, whereas the hope of a resurrection belongs to Jewish thought. . . . Following Alexander’s conquests Judaism gradually absorbed Greek concepts.”—Dictionnaire Encyclopédique de la Bible (Valence, France; 1935), edited by Alexandre Westphal, Vol. 2, p. 557.

“Immortality of the soul is a Greek notion formed in ancient mystery cults and elaborated by the philosopher Plato.”—Presbyterian Life, May 1, 1970, p. 35.

“Do we believe that there is such a thing as death? . . . Is it not the separation of soul and body? And to be dead is the completion of this; when the soul exists in herself, and is released from the body and the body is released from the soul, what is this but death? . . . And does the soul admit of death? No. Then the soul is immortal? Yes.”—Plato’s “Phaedo,” Secs. 64, 105, as published in Great Books of the Western World (1952), edited by R. M. Hutchins, Vol. 7, pp. 223, 245, 246.

“The problem of immortality, we have seen, engaged the serious attention of the Babylonian theologians. . . . Neither the people nor the leaders of religious thought ever faced the possibility of the total annihilation of what once was called into existence. Death was a passage to another kind of life.”—The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (Boston, 1898), M. Jastrow, Jr., p. 556.

There. I've done all the work for you. If you are looking for God you will find God. If you are looking for tradition, doctrine, and religion you will find that instead of God.

It's up to you.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I beg to differ.
Because the Atheist doesn't understand what it means according to the second commandment - Love neighbor as self, since to do so they need to understand the first - Love God, which they don't understand nor do, they failed to do either. They win the favor of men.
Since the Christian understands the first and second, as to what is involved, they are able to do both - thus win God's favor.

Okay to differ, but you missed the original post [last line] on which my answer was based. So your reply has nothing to do with the last question in the OP.

It seems you claim to know how an atheist thinks/feels/understands saying:
"Because the Atheist doesn't understand what it means according to the second commandment - Love neighbor as self".

I try to not think for the other. Especially the Atheist, I found out on RF, has a sharp mind, and can think well for himself is my impression.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Christians tend to think of Judgement day as a period when everyone who disagreed with them and didn't belong to their specific denomination of Christendom will stand before God and he will judge them and have vengeance on them. That, of course, not surprisingly, is nothing close to what the Bible says about judgement day.

In the Bible judgement day is a thousand year period where the unrighteous are resurrected who didn't have the opportunity to choose God's side or Satan's side. The former leading to everlasting life and the latter leading to everlasting destruction. During their lives they weren't introduced to God's good news due to where they lived, and so during this period they are introduced to it, and then Satan, who was imprisoned in the abyss is released to give them his side of the story and they can choose at the end which one they want.

Now there's an account in the Bible where Jesus asks a question of religious leaders about an illustration he gives involving a man and two sons. One is told to do something and he says he will do it but he doesn't, the other says he won't do it but does. Of course, the second one is in the right and the first one in the wrong.

The question is, do you think that atheist who live moral lives but don't attend some Christian church are in God's favor while the religious who don't live moral lives don't have God's favor. I certainly would think so.
Not to worry (at least for me):

e7b4083035a3263f5f6377ce7cb6b576.jpg