• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheistic Double Standard?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Speaking in general and in your opinion, do non-believers hold a double standard when it comes to religion?

Such as for example: Demanding religious claims be backed by hard evidence, but then not holding the same standards for their own claims.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Speaking in general and in your opinion, do non-believers hold a double standard when it comes to religion?

Such as for example: Demanding religious claims be backed by hard evidence, but then not holding the same standards for their own claims.

what @sayak83 said. Can you give a few examples of evidence-free claims made by non-believers?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I am reluctant to make anyone the subject of a thread.
that is not only a good idea, but commendable.
However, you do not need to specify who made the claims.
Merely repeat the claims they made.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No. I remember giving precise evidence that god does not exist one of these threads months or years ago sometime. No one replied to it. But they do like to reply to the vague claims and give scripture to prove arguments that have no substantial conversation. I actually kind of wished a believer can prove me wrong (any) by giving evidence not based on any sacred scripture but just logic and how they view reality and conclusions thereof. Christians are the only ones I know that have to have the bible for every christian conversation. Even Muslims don't do that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But non believers make no claims
dunno.gif

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Some do. Many humans, both believers and non-believers, have double standards or display some measure of hypocrisy. Others try to guard against it and may hold to a more consistent standard. I suppose it can be said for any group of people.

If I'm just talking with someone, whether it's in real life or in online forums such as this one, I won't necessarily hold to any hard-and-fast rules about the need for hard evidence just because someone makes a claim. If someone wants to philosophize or discuss their various speculations and conjectures, then why not go along and see where it goes?

Where I would draw the line and demand hard evidence is if it goes beyond just idle conversation. For example, if someone is asking for my money or to do something I may not want to do. Likewise if someone makes a proposal to change or enact a law, or if they want to accuse someone of a crime, they should have some sort of factual support or hard evidence to back up what they say.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Sometimes I make statements based on my own experience. It'd be kind of hard to provide hard evidence for these experiences but I expect to be challenged. Also I accept that some their own personal experiences which is as hard for them to "prove". I generally feel they are being truthful about their personal experience though they could be mistaken about their conclusions.

Statements outside my personal experience, I expect of myself to be able to support with references.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
But non believers make no claims
dunno.gif

They make lots of claims about lots of stuff. This does not necessarily have to be a claim in relation to something religious. For a very crude example: I declare that people are getting dumber with each generation. I have no evidence to support that claim. Now where is the evidence for your god?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Not believing isn't even a claim to start with as aforementioned. No double standard exists.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is a better example for why you are wrong.

For a very crude example: I declare that people are getting dumber with each generation. I have no evidence to support that claim. Now where is the evidence for your god?
"People are getting dumber with each generation" is a falsifiable claim. Regardless of what you believe, and difficult as it might be, evidence on the subject could be gathered and verified and analyzed to develop an accurate image of people's dumbness.

Not so with God. Whatever that means, there is no way for anybody to learn anything other than who made what unfalsifiable claims.
Tom

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
This is a better example for why you are wrong.

"People are getting dumber with each generation" is a falsifiable claim. Regardless of what you believe, and difficult as it might be, evidence on the subject could be gathered and verified and analyzed to develop an accurate image of people's dumbness.

Not so with God. Whatever that means, there is no way for anybody to learn anything other than who made what unfalsifiable claims.
Tom

""People are getting dumber with each generation" is a falsifiable claim."

With no reliable means to rate intelligence I am not sure why you think it is falsifiable.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
""People are getting dumber with each generation" is a falsifiable claim."

With no reliable means to rate intelligence I am not sure why you think it is falsifiable.
Perhaps you missed "and as difficult as it might be". There is still an important difference between your two claims that you don't seem to understand.
Tom

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Perhaps you missed "and as difficult as it might be". There is still an important difference between your two claims that you don't seem to understand.
Tom

You said, "evidence on the subject could be gathered and verified and analyzed to develop an accurate image of people's dumbness" which is not true. We have no reliable means to measure intelligence and if we can't measure it then we can't compare differences.

We don't even have an agreed upon definition of what intelligence even is, so I am not sure how you can conclude we can get "an accurate image". I think the double standard is showing right here.

How about you tells us how you would go about doing this: "evidence on the subject could be gathered and verified and analyzed to develop an accurate image of people's dumbness"